View Full Version : My Axim 30 Pocket PC and Email

Scarpad
07-07-2005, 08:17 PM
I've never really utilized email on my PPC and now that I'm leaving for a week in Maine next week I'd like the ability to send Email from my device from a Wireless Hotspot. Am I correct in thinking that in order to do this I would need to have some sort of email client like hotmail or yahoo mail? And would I need to just set that account up in the options? I know you can compose mail and interface with outlook on my laptop, but I wanted a more mobile Solution....

npatang
07-07-2005, 08:25 PM
You are correct you can send mails once you are connected to internet through the wireless hotspot !!!!!

Yes you have to have the email client on your ppc!!!
You can only configure the POP3 or Imap4 email accounts and every account you should know the Incoming server address and outgoing server address!!!!! :D

SteveHoward999
07-08-2005, 03:36 AM
Many email accounts are tied to your server, so for instance if you have an email address like this

[email protected]

you may not be able to send email unless you are logged on to the internet via your internet provider's connection - i.e. from your home or work location.

Equally many (most?) wireless access providers block the standard email send port (110? 25?) unless your email account is with them - so if you have a t-mobile email address and you connect via t-mobile, that should work but you may not be able to send via your @myDomain email address.

So far I have found that I can allways collect email, but most often cannot sent it. If you have access to webmail that should work for sending, providing you can get to it via PPC. I **think** I can always send via my gMail account through POP3, no matter how I connect, but I am not 100% certain.

dragomia
07-25-2005, 08:11 PM
For hotmail you can use HTTPMail provider http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=9539 for this ($6.99 but you have 30 days eval time). It will allow you to sync your hotmail/msn account on the go.

yankeejeep
07-26-2005, 12:46 PM
If you have purchased enhanced service on your HTTP email account, this usually includes POP3 access and you can set up an inbox account on your PPC to retrieve it as POP3 mail. You will need to know the receiving (incoming) and sending (outgoing) email server names as well as whether the outgoing server requires authentication and what other security settings may need to be set. Even if the service does not support PPC devices directly, this information is usually available in the documentation they provide to set up an Outlook inbox.

You can only set up inbox accounts on your PPC for POP3 or IMAP email services. If you have the free version of Hotmail or Yahoo, these are HTTP service only and you will need to access them either through a browser (you can access their mobile sites through Pocket IE) or by using an app such as HTTPMail (mentioned above).