View Full Version : SPB Weather: Does anyone have it set up for BBC weather forecasts

martin_ayton
07-06-2005, 03:42 PM
I have recently installed SPB Weather and set it up to update the forecast from weather.com. I really like the app and the way it integrates nicely with SPB Plus, but the weather.com forecast for my area stinks: It has been a lovely, sunny day all day and the forecast had rain all day. It is significantly wrong more than 50% of the time which makes a forecast worse than useless.

I find that the BBC forecast, whilst not perfect, is somewhat better than useless, so I would really like to be able to get SPB Weather to grab its info. from the BBC website instead. This is not one of the pre-set options. Has anyone else set their system up this way? Could you share how you did it?

TIA

Darius Wey
07-07-2005, 02:34 AM
You will need some background development knowledge to know how to create a template which extracts information from a certain site (BBC included). Here's a link if you're interested: http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/weather/templates.html?en

If you follow the "user-created custom templates" link, you'll notice someone has already created a BBC Weather template. Enjoy! :D

martin_ayton
07-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks Darius - I really appreciate that. :)

Andy Whiteford
07-07-2005, 02:48 PM
I have already used the BBC service for my weather and stopped using it - primarily because the detail of the reports was less that using the likes of the inbuilt Gismeo data and not much more accurate to be honest. I do find Gismeo much better than Weather.com for my area but I guess you just need to try them all for afew days and check the results.
I think I had two time points using the BBC whereas Gismeo offers four.
One benefit of the BBC is that you can get much more localized weather reports than the inbuilt data suppliers though so still worth a trial. If you have any problems with the set up then let me know.

martin_ayton
07-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Andy - I'd love to try GisMeteo, but I can't work out how to get my home town (Bath, United Kingdom). My Russian just isn't up to it, and Babelfish didn't help enough. If you could help me get a location code, that would be great!

I'm also trying to get data from Intellicast. The location code for Bath, UK would appear to be ukxxct28840 but that results in 'no data downloaded' every time I try it. Any help here, too, would be appreciated.

Andy Whiteford
07-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Andy - I'd love to try GisMeteo, but I can't work out how to get my home town (Bath, United Kingdom). My Russian just isn't up to it, and Babelfish didn't help enough. If you could help me get a location code, that would be great!

I'm also trying to get data from Intellicast. The location code for Bath, UK would appear to be ukxxct28840 but that results in 'no data downloaded' every time I try it. Any help here, too, would be appreciated.

My home town isn't listed either so I just picked Edinburgh which is the nearest city listed. Not 100% perfect but what weather forecast is? Works good enough for my needs.

martin_ayton
07-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Doh! Sometimes, I just can't see the obvious stuff :oops: - thanks for pointing it out, though.

The Intellicast thing has me stumped though: according to alll the instructions, I have the correct code, but it just won't work. SPB weren't very helpful - "RTFM" which I had already done :roll: