View Full Version : Retractable sync cables

caubeck
07-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Hi,

I use one of those zippy retractable sync cables on my iPAQ 1935 and 1940. The one I originally had for the 1935 came with an HP boxed set and worked perfectly till somehow the wire split. The new one ("Targus" brand, identical to the last but from an HP iPAQ 3000 set) works but then the sync will usually fail at some point, even though it keeps charging the battery okay. I've been told quite often that all these cables are compatible no matter which iPAQ you have, but a Belkin charger also became problematic and I had to return it. In fact it didn't fit too well despite its 1940 compatibility claim.

Does anyone happen to know what the trouble is with these things? Is there a secret art to using them? The sockets on all my devices are in perfect order. The standard sync cables work fine on both devices.

I'm posting this in this general forum to see whether this problem is not only common to iPAQs.

Thanks,

Chris

ironguy
07-06-2005, 03:29 PM
I have a PPCTechs L'il Pro zippy retractable charger/sync cable and it's been fine. I've had no problems at all. I use it on an iPaq 2215.

Sven Johannsen
07-07-2005, 01:43 AM
I have LilSync ones, original ZipLinq ones, and some other brands, over numerous PPCs. The big name ones seem to work the majority of the time. The great deals have tended to have issues. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Sometimes you pay for it, an still don't get it, unfortunately. Somewhat surprisingly a sync and charge I got from pcmobile.net for my Axim x50v works fine, and that unit is known to be tough to charge.

I've actually wondered how they get these to work. Typically they appear to have two conductors. To Sync and charge you need + and - USB data, +5v and ground. I'm a EE and can certainly understand running the data over the power leads, or vice versa, but I can't imagine these things having much sophistication that would cost less than just providing four lines. Of course I've never cut one up. For all I know it could be that the two appearant lines actually hold two conductors each, possibly with an insulated center conductor and a braided shield on each.

One thing that is always a problem is using too thin a wire for power transfer. PPCs take a significant amount of current to charge, especially when they are low. It is possible that thin wire can impede that current enough that insufficient voltage is available at the PPC to effect reasonable charging. Length is a factor too. Wire that works at 24 inches may not work at 42". I know the wire is always as long as it is, just some brands make a point of being long, which may not be a good thing if they haven't really done their engineering.

My advice is to not scrimp in the first place in hopes of getting a great deal, but if you get one that doesn't work on a unit the manufacturer says it does, send it back.

Darius Wey
07-07-2005, 02:23 AM
I'm with the others. The Pocket PC Techs Lil' Sync range has worked great for me. If you check out the front page, you'll notice there's a special Pocket PC Thoughts / Pocket PC Techs 15% off accessories discount going on at the moment: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,41331

caubeck
07-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the recommendations!

I will shop around. There must be more to these cables than meets the eye. I find it works better plugged into my ancient Compaq Presario 1200 laptop (W98) than with our new Toshiba Satellite laptop (WXP), for some reason.

I began to wonder whether heat was the culprit - it reaches 40 degrees here in Madrid, the temperature at which the internal ventilation units on the laptops become audibly agitated and things begin to work more erratically in general.

Best,

Chris