View Full Version : T-Mobile To Be Sold By Year's End?

Ed Hansberry
07-04-2005, 11:00 PM
<a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/04/AR2005070400310.html">http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/04/AR2005070400310.html</a><br /><br /><i>"Deutsche Telekom has been sounding out institutional investors on whether to sell off U.S. mobile operator T-Mobile USA or spend billions of dollars to expand the business, according to fund managers. Deutsche Telekom and T-Mobile USA officials declined to comment on what they called market rumors."</i><br /><br />Please please please please spend the billions! I have really enjoyed using T-Mobile for the past few years. It is totally seamless in GSM environments in other countries, if not a bit expensive. $20/mo for all you can eat data plans has been awesome for me, and their customer service has always been top notch. Getting swallowed whole into Cingular isn't what I would like to see happen. Too many co-workers and friends that were with AT&amp;T Wireless that haven't had a good experience getting moved into Cingular.

szamot
07-04-2005, 11:09 PM
I think they are going to sell it. US market, as far as cellular goes, is flat. Actually North American market is flat period. I doubt it will start going up anytime soon too. It is all about population density which, compared to Europe and Asia, NA does not have.

pdantic
07-04-2005, 11:35 PM
How typical... I finally get a mobile carrier that I like and now they'll be swallowed by someone else. I skipped to T-Mobile a few years back when I got an unlocked PPCPE and AT&amp;T wouldn't let me use it on their system ("if you didn't buy it from us you can't use it on our system"). I walked over to T-Mobile and 10 minutes later I had a SIM for my phone. Their customer service is excellent - I've NEVER had to wait on hold.

Perhaps T-Mobile should be sounding out customer opinions as well. I'd love to see them expand service rather than disappear.

Steve

ricksfiona
07-05-2005, 02:12 AM
I've had T-Mobile after trying out Sprint and Verizon and T-Mobile has been by far, the best! But in the U.S. consumer market, it's all about price. The business community is more about quality and services, but T-Mobile doesn't do enough to attract that service.

I don't even know what carrier I would go with if T-Mobile was sold off. I love Hot Spots and all you can eat data service! Cingular/AT&amp;T? Blah! They've consistently gotten the worse ratings you can get in almost every category.

Let's look at Nextel. They do almost no consumer advertising, but I always see businesses going with them since you get that walkie-talkie feature, which is super cool. They may not be as big as the other carriers, but they have a solid client base because of the features they offer. It's probably just as expensive as T-Mobile.

I talk-up T-Mobile all the time cause they deserve it. Customer Support, service, data services and coverage are all top-notch.

T-Mobile, please spend the money and get more into the U.S. corporate world. Develop more partnerships. Come out with some awesome features. Don't waste your time with the consumer market. That market is a low margin, high maintenance headache.

You also have to think about the SEC. I don't think they would allow Cingular to purchase T-Mobile due to anti-monopoly laws. Other than T-Mobile and Cingular, no one else uses the GSM technology.

The U.S. market may be flat, but it can provide a nice solid foundation for their business. If you want to compete in the consumer market, come out with no-frills, inexpensive plans. You'll get the business. Concentrate on what businesses and focus your advertising dollars on them and you'll get them too. Talk-up your data services, hot spots and coverage and you'll come out ahead. Too many people still believe that AT&amp;T/Cingular get's superior coverage. You gotta change that. Talk-up your Customer Service and quality, which is what sold me.

Paragon
07-05-2005, 02:19 AM
Getting swallowed whole into Cingular isn't what I would like to see happen. Too many co-workers and friends that were with AT&amp;T Wireless that haven't had a good experience getting moved into Cingular.

I believe Cingular have already publicly stated they do NOT want to buy T-Mo.

huangzhinong
07-05-2005, 02:41 AM
Yes, they should sell it out. I never got any signal just 20 miles away from downtown, either in cities of Alabama or California. The tmobile signal in bay area is so bad that I guess nobody will miss Tmobile even it disappeares tomorrow.

Sorry for my ranting. :devilboy:

DTron
07-05-2005, 05:36 AM
I have T-Mobile and I have great coverage in Alabama from Huntsville to Mobile and everywhere in between. I currently live about 20 mi outside Birmingham and have no problems whatsoever.

Zidane
07-05-2005, 06:51 AM
Out of all of the carriers I have used, T-Mobile has been the most reliable and the most affordable. I would hate to lose that to Cingular or Verizon, neither of which have filled me with much hope.

dMores
07-05-2005, 08:45 AM
even if t-mobile is sold, you'll all be able to keep your current plans for the future.

i have a friend who had a pretty good offer with max.mobil in austria. max.mobil was then bought by t-mobile, but his rates have not changed. they offered him to change to another plan with more benefits but higher monthly subscription fees, yet he has been able to keep his old offer.

so ... not to worry, i think.

Gex
07-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Let's look at Nextel.
Bought by Sprint recently....

don dre
07-05-2005, 02:27 PM
I've had t-Mobile for three years and I live in Philadelphia. I originally switched from ATT Wireless b/c of their horrendous customer service and have been more than pleased with T-Mobile's customer friendly attitude. However, I have noticed that the service is spotty relative to ATT's (which had far better actual network coverage) and has been declining. I was happy for teh first two years but lately it seems that more often than not, I'm th eonly one who has to walk outside. I'm switching to Verizon b/c I get a discount through my co. but I have friends who switched to Sprintel and love it. My friends who had ATT never had a problem so they never were aggravated by their customer service. The switch to Cingular was painless for them. Basically their bills just started having a different name. I originally switched b/c T-Mobile had the best prices but they are all about equal now. With that said, if I did more international travel to Europe I would probably prefer T-Mobile.

Ken Mattern
07-05-2005, 02:49 PM
I have T-Mobile and I have great coverage in Alabama from Huntsville to Mobile and everywhere in between.

I live in Huntsville and have T-Mobile. I don't want to switch. What I love is the fact that I can go anywhere and have all the accessability that I need. Of course there are a few dead spots, but when you are out the the middle of nowhere no mobile phone will work!

Pour in the billions :)

Ed Hansberry
07-05-2005, 03:00 PM
There is a large article in this morning's Wall Street Journal on this. It seems that Comcast is one of the leading candidates. Comcast has been in talks with T-Mobile to partner with Comcast in selling wireless services under the Comcast brand. With T-Mobile going on the selling block, it makes a ton of sense to just buy T-Mob outright.

The lines of broadband communication just got even more blurred.

adamz
07-05-2005, 07:59 PM
http://news.google.com/?ncl=http://www.forbes.com/technology/wireless/feeds/wireless/2005/07/05/wirelesscomtex_2005_07_05_up_0000-3247-.dstbusiness_04.html&amp;hl=en

Why are there a ton of articles saying that T-Mobile USA is not for sale now? According to those, T-Mobile USA is Deutsche Telekom's biggest growth property and is highly profitable. Also seems Deutsche Telekom is saying that this was just a hoax, and that selling T-Mobile USA has not even been discussed.

don dre
07-05-2005, 08:15 PM
I hope it's not a hoax. as a subscriber one can't help but feel that T-mo USA has taken a backseat to their European operations. I hope they sell it to comcast who woudl likely aggressively upgrade the network tom compete with archenemy verizon. It seems a logical progresion for the company. I recently signed on to verizon's dsl in part b/c I get a discount for having my wireless and DSL service with them. comcast, HQ'd in my hometown, coudl get me back with an internet/VOIP/wireless package competitively priced. Stil, if it's anything like their cable and internet services it will be high quality product at premium prices. I recently said the hell with cable at $53/mo. bought some rabbit ears and surf the internet more.

Paragon
07-05-2005, 09:13 PM
http://news.google.com/?ncl=http://www.forbes.com/technology/wireless/feeds/wireless/2005/07/05/wirelesscomtex_2005_07_05_up_0000-3247-.dstbusiness_04.html&amp;hl=en

Why are there a ton of articles saying that T-Mobile USA is not for sale now?

The press release I read a couple of days ago did NOT say they wanted to sell T-Mo by the end of the year, but rather, between now and the end of the year they wanted to look vey closely at which to do, spend a ton of money on upgrading the network, or sell it.......at the end of the year they would decide if they are going to sell or not.

Dave

ricksfiona
07-06-2005, 04:29 AM
There is a large article in this morning's Wall Street Journal on this. It seems that Comcast is one of the leading candidates. Comcast has been in talks with T-Mobile to partner with Comcast in selling wireless services under the Comcast brand. With T-Mobile going on the selling block, it makes a ton of sense to just buy T-Mob outright.

The lines of broadband communication just got even more blurred.

Hmm, I don't think I'd have too much a problem if Comcast bought T-Mobile. I've had nothing but great service from Comcast and they are also very aggressive with being the best service out there. Hmm, maybe I could get a discount by having my cell phone service with my Internet and cable service.

This would very interesting.

don dre
07-07-2005, 06:29 PM
well, I posted here griping about t-mobile's coverage so I feel obligated to follow up. I'm on a family plan with my parents. I live in the city, they in the suburbs. They had marginal service with T-mobile...barely a signal but usualy enough to talk in the front of the house. I figured verizon would be an improvement. they got the phone tuesday...and have to walk out of the house 20 ft before getting signal. so back goes the verizon phone and back we go to t-mobile. still, I woudln't mind comcast being the owner. perhaps t-mobile isn't as bad as all that. it seems to just depend on where you live, which service is best for you.

OSUKid7
07-18-2005, 05:12 PM
The link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/04/AR2005070400310.html) in this news post is giving me this error:
We are unable to locate the page you requested.
The page may have moved or may no longer be available