View Full Version : Verizon Samsung I730

hshulman
07-03-2005, 04:16 AM
It always astounds me how much misinformation exists on these forums. Listen up: I currently have an activated Samsung I730 from Verizon, which I received last week. They are in the warehouse and can be ordered and delivered in 2 days. Cost: $599 with 1 year activation or renewal, $499 with 2 year. NO CAMERA! WIFI fully functional but you can't use WIFI and the phone at the same time; with WIFI on, incoming calls go to voicemail. Bluetooth functions normally with my Jabra BT250 headset. Still has the same major flaw that the Samsung I600 had: the backlight goes dark 2 seconds after you make or receive a call no matter what you set it for; touch anything and it lights back up for whatever the timeout is set to. Samsung knows this is a problem but they don't seem able to fix it. Verizon data techs can duplicate this problem while you are on the phone with them but simply refer you to Samsung. It is obviously a Microsoft Window Mobile 2003 2nd Edition issue since my Samsung I600 did not have this problem uhtil I upgraded the ops to 2003 2nd Edition. Internet access and e-mail speed is truly excellent if you are in a Verizon Broadband Access area; downloads show almost 1MB test speed.

Janak Parekh
07-03-2005, 05:24 PM
It always astounds me how much misinformation exists on these forums.
Actually, I found the information to be pretty accurate.

NO CAMERA! WIFI fully functional but you can't use WIFI and the phone at the same time; with WIFI on, incoming calls go to voicemail.
Yeah -- I think they made this compromise because of battery life.

Still has the same major flaw that the Samsung I600 had: the backlight goes dark 2 seconds after you make or receive a call no matter what you set it for; touch anything and it lights back up for whatever the timeout is set to.
8O Hmm, I haven't noticed this on my i600. I bet it's there and it didn't bother me, and I have a feeling most people aren't bothered about it as I haven't read many reports, and that's probably why Samsung didn't fix it.

It is obviously a Microsoft Window Mobile 2003 2nd Edition issue since my Samsung I600 did not have this problem uhtil I upgraded the ops to 2003 2nd Edition.
The i600 is running WM2003, not WM2003SE, so I have a feeling it's more likely the Samsung ROM implementation than the OS.

Internet access and e-mail speed is truly excellent if you are in a Verizon Broadband Access area; downloads show almost 1MB test speed.
Alas, it's not connectable to a laptop yet. :(

--janak