View Full Version : Sojourner Did It, Now So Will I

Jon Westfall
07-02-2005, 04:30 AM
A few months back I posted on forum member sojourner753's vow not to buy technology in the month of June. With his success and my current financial situation dictating that I must also cut back on technology purchases, I've decided to follow suit with a couple of twists. Here are the "rules"<br /><br />1. I will not buy any new hardware or software (With exceptions listed below) for the next 3 Months (July, August, September). Why 3 months? Well, to test my endurance, and to see what the data from number 2 is over a longer period.<br />2. Every time I WOULD have bought a piece of hardware/software, I will document it and report to everyone in October how much I didn't spend.<br />3. This also applies to PPC accessories, cases, bags, etc..<br /><br />Exceptions:<br />1. I will let myself buy the upgrade to WM 2005 for the Dell Axim when it's released. After all, considering my work here, it's a bonafide business expense. It's due in October, but if they take orders early, they may hit September.<br /><br />2. In the case of extraordinarily great new software, I will let myself buy 1 thing from handango, provided it's under $20.<br /><br />3. CD-R's are allowed to be purchased (You can't seriously expect me to stop burning for 3 months!).<br /><br />It won't be easy, but then again, I did just do some massive shopping in June, so July - September is a good time to catch up. The research aspect of it amuses me as well - I'm really curious how much can be saved by not buying technology for 3 months. <br /><br />Let The Experiment Begin!

Darius Wey
07-02-2005, 04:34 AM
Good luck, Jon! :mrgreen:

I'd get serious withdrawal symptoms after a few hours. :lol:

Pony99CA
07-02-2005, 06:05 AM
You can last hours? :rotfl:

Steve

rmasinag
07-02-2005, 06:09 AM
Hmmn........ I don't get buying a handango software as an exception to the rule because honestly I think is cheating.

I can understand the Dell Axim WM2005 update IFF it is essential, for reviews and such.

But good luck, just remember, I think you need stricter protocols to validate it as an experiment with valid data.

Economic poorness causes you to be humble. I had a back pack stolen with things I thought I couldn't live with; my Oly C5050 digicam (damn fine piece of equipment), my $130 Etymotics ER6i, my $99 G WiFi CF card, my $130 shuffle, my $80 teeny AIWA radio, and plus them spending $200 at walmart! :evil:

I used every Item every single day so I dunno if you can imagine my feelings initially. I learned to adapt by using my IPAQ as a jukebox (but I had to replace the Etymotics) and learn not is not so bad without all my toys.

My $.50 good luck on the experiment :wink:

MitchellO
07-02-2005, 06:30 AM
Yeah, I think that Handango has to be off limits too.

Yes, WM2005 would be acceptable. You do work for PPCT after all ;)

I have an gadget addiction too. I have just bought a new PSP game, PSP case, 2.1 sound system and something else (can't remember) recently. And I'm only 15!!

Darius Wey
07-02-2005, 06:32 AM
You can last hours? :rotfl:

Of course. Only when I'm asleep. :mrgreen:

Jerry Raia
07-02-2005, 06:36 AM
I give you 2 weeks before you cave in.

madbart
07-02-2005, 06:49 AM
I think i might have to join him or i might just end up in the divorce court!
The only one gadget that i must have before Xmas is a 60 iPod. :lol:

pb89552
07-02-2005, 07:03 AM
IThe only one gadget that i must have before Xmas is a 60 iPod. :lol:

I managed to save myself the cost of an Ipod 60 yesterday, I could find none in stock. But an online order will be placed soon I fear 8)

Paul

Darius Wey
07-02-2005, 07:44 AM
I managed to save myself the cost of an Ipod 60 yesterday, I could find none in stock. But an online order will be placed soon I fear 8)

Yeah, stocks have been a bit shifty as of late since Apple recently changed their iPod line to the iPod Color - so gone are the old B&amp;W's. :)

farnold
07-02-2005, 08:41 AM
You've got a serious addiction problem and require either professional help or real restriction. Here's my restriction list for you:

1. No use of internet for three month. That may sound harsh but you were able to do it just a few years ago. Demonstrate that you are still able to live w/o the internet.

2. In the next three money spending is restricted to useful products that are availabe for at least 50 years. So no fast food, no microwave ****, no technology gadgets... just healthy food and maybe a book for your entertainment.

3. Repeat 1 and 2 on an annual base for three month.

You cannot do it? As I said, you have a serious addiction problem and require professional help :lol:

OneAngryDwarf
07-02-2005, 08:59 AM
How can you have a tech addiction and require that many CD-R's? The truer the geek the less you need... As the years have progressed I use less and less of those damn frisbees... heck I don't even have a portable cd player any more cuz i just load my music on to my PPC... if u said DVD-R's i could maybe understand cuz movies need to be burned to them but come on CD-R's? Portable electronics, broadband internet access and wireless networking are rendering CDR's useless for the true geek at heart. I question your commitment to the Geek within. Nuff said.

Jon Westfall
07-02-2005, 11:18 AM
How can you have a tech addiction and require that many CD-R's? The truer the geek the less you need... As the years have progressed I use less and less of those damn frisbees... heck I don't even have a portable cd player any more cuz i just load my music on to my PPC... if u said DVD-R's i could maybe understand cuz movies need to be burned to them but come on CD-R's? Portable electronics, broadband internet access and wireless networking are rendering CDR's useless for the true geek at heart. I question your commitment to the Geek within. Nuff said.

I don't require too many CD-R's, the problem is I never really know how many I have until I run out. I mostly use CD-R's as the backup to the backup (External hard drive is the primary backup, CD's backup the REALLY important stuff already on the external). So that's why I left that open, just in case I'm running low and don't realize it!

Oh, and the handango exception was mainly because there are always dream applications out there that I wish someone would develop (The last one being Card Export II, which I wished for for almost 2 years). If such a dream app should come along, that's when I'll let myself buy something. If not, then handango is off limits too!

Jon Westfall
07-02-2005, 11:19 AM
You've got a serious addiction problem and require either professional help or real restriction. Here's my restriction list for you:

1. No use of internet for three month. That may sound harsh but you were able to do it just a few years ago. Demonstrate that you are still able to live w/o the internet.

2. In the next three money spending is restricted to useful products that are availabe for at least 50 years. So no fast food, no microwave s**t, no technology gadgets... just healthy food and maybe a book for your entertainment.

3. Repeat 1 and 2 on an annual base for three month.

You cannot do it? As I said, you have a serious addiction problem and require professional help :lol:

Thankfully with my background, I know serious addiction when I see it. My family has never gone without food due to my latest tech purchase, so I'm pretty sure I'm in the safe "hobbyist" zone :mrgreen:

Rod3
07-02-2005, 02:18 PM
I admire your resolve. My admiration, however, is as close as I intend to come to it. I wouldn't say no technology buying for one hour, much less three months! :mrgreen:

ignar
07-02-2005, 02:44 PM
Good luck. Some people find saving is as fun as splurging.

DaleReeck
07-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Hmmn........ I don't get buying a handango software as an exception to the rule because honestly I think is cheating.

I can understand the Dell Axim WM2005 update IFF it is essential, for reviews and such.

I agree. Either you are going to do it or not do it. Exceptions mean you aren't doing it. Even WM2005 isn't a requirement. I'm pretty sure you could still work at PPC Thoughts without upgrading to WM2005 for a few months ;) Heck, most people won't even have WM2005. Only a select few companies will be providing upgrades or putting out new devices in the next few months. At this point, WM2005 is a luxury, not a requirement IMO.

kcwester
07-02-2005, 04:29 PM
My husband has often said if we would stop buying gadgets (two gadget people should never marry) that he could retire now and we would be able to go on the long cruise that we have wanted to go on!

I have been making an effort to cut back on gadget purchases but probably should do more! Good luck:)

Janak Parekh
07-02-2005, 06:52 PM
I admire your resolve. My admiration, however, is as close as I intend to come to it. I wouldn't say no technology buying for one hour, much less three months! :mrgreen:
Agreed. That said, I look back and find that, during peak work periods of the year, I won't buy tech for several months. So I prefer to leave it ad-hoc, especially because I'm gearing up for a few purchases this summer. :P

--janak

surur
07-02-2005, 07:33 PM
The MDA IV is calling my name already... buy me buy me buuyyy meee :)

Surur

Phillip Dyson
07-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Wow!
Have I started something?

I have to agree with others. Handango is definitely a loophole. Most because its so open-ended.

I can concede the 2005 upgrade because you've explicitly planned for it. Assuming of course that the upgrade doesn't inspire a whole slew of other new purchases.

The CD-Rs seem reasonable if you're using them for backups. Its sort of understood as a part of TCO (Total Cost of Ownership).

This is pretty ambitious. Did you consult your physician before doing this? :worried:

Good luck.

Phillip Dyson
07-02-2005, 07:54 PM
LONG LIVE THE TAS!

Jon Westfall
07-02-2005, 10:25 PM
First of all, the handango thing has been explained, if you don't like my explanation - tough!

Work out the math: Sojourner753's original plan + 2 Months + Tracking Avoided Expenditures (Resulting in lasting reinforcement to temper my purchases) - 1 Handango Purchase = No Cheating!

Anyway, a fellow thoughts team member IMed me this morning asking how I was 12 hours into the 'fast'. I told him that I was fine, but personally I expect the shakes will probably start within the next few weeks :)

Janak Parekh
07-03-2005, 02:31 AM
Exactly. We should go fly out to Ohio and wave it in front of his nose once we get it. :devilboy:

--janak

ctmagnus
07-03-2005, 03:04 AM
Does anyone else think "visit Mars" when they see the words "Sojourner Did It, Now So Will I"?

Jon Westfall
07-03-2005, 05:03 AM
Exactly. We should go fly out to Ohio and wave it in front of his nose once we get it. :devilboy:

--janak

That's a pretty substantial risk actually - putting a MDA IV in front of a person on a tech sabbatical. I'm not responsible for my actions if faced with such blatent temptation ;)

Darius Wey
07-03-2005, 05:20 AM
That's a pretty substantial risk actually - putting a MDA IV in front of a person on a tech sabbatical. I'm not responsible for my actions if faced with such blatent temptation ;)

Nah, why go through all the effort? I'll just spam your inbox with pictures and video demos of the device. ;)

lapchinj
07-03-2005, 08:45 AM
First I must wish you good luck because you'll need it with the rules you list. You also didn't mention using your wife or other family member as a proxy to buy 'needed' stuff. Besides the rules look like a diet I once tried and really got nowhere with. I pigged out the month before, made a list of all the great food I didn't eat during my diet and then finally after I came off my diet I ate everything on the list. I had to go cold turkey with only one exception and that was that I was allowed to open my mouth to breath as long as it was not in front of a food store :wink: .

I will let myself buy the upgrade to WM 2005 for the Dell Axim when it's released. After all, considering my work here, it's a bonafide business expense. It's due in October, but if they take orders early, they may hit September.Being a member here would make that available to me as a bonafide business expense also.

In the case of extraordinarily great new software, I will let myself buy 1 thing from handango, provided it's under $20.Two scoops but no sprinkles

Seeing that I was able to take off my GUI front end and keep it off for 2 years now I think that there is hope that you'll be able to do your tech free diet .

Good Luck! Remember the world is watching.

Let The Experiment Begin!

Jeff-

Steven Cedrone
07-03-2005, 02:18 PM
First of all, the handango thing has been explained, if you don't like my explanation - tough!

Work out the math: Sojourner753's original plan + 2 Months + Tracking Avoided Expenditures (Resulting in lasting reinforcement to temper my purchases) - 1 Handango Purchase = No Cheating!

Anyway, a fellow thoughts team member IMed me this morning asking how I was 12 hours into the 'fast'. I told him that I was fine, but personally I expect the shakes will probably start within the next few weeks :)

Jon,

Usually when giving up something, your chances of success increase dramatically if you have a support group to turn to in times of "weakness". Also, it helps when you have someone to turn to that is going through the same "pain" as yourself. With that in mind, I have decided to join you in this venture! I too, will give up buying tech for three months! Ugh, I can't believe I am going to do this! :roll:

Jon Westfall
07-03-2005, 03:10 PM

Jon,

Usually when giving up something, your chances of success increase dramatically if you have a support group to turn to in times of "weakness". Also, it helps when you have someone to turn to that is going through the same "pain" as yourself. With that in mind, I have decided to join you in this venture! I too, will give up buying tech for three months! Ugh, I can't believe I am going to do this! :roll:

Awesome. Together we shall prove that being a PPC Junkie does nto automatically mean losing all self control. And if Janak or Darius tempt us with the MDA IV, I believe that the two of us could probably take them (Especially since Darius is in Australia, and Janak has to travel through Pennsylvania to get to Ohio).

Steven Cedrone
07-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Awesome. Together we shall prove that being a PPC Junkie does nto automatically mean losing all self control. And if Janak or Darius tempt us with the MDA IV, I believe that the two of us could probably take them (Especially since Darius is in Australia, and Janak has to travel through Pennsylvania to get to Ohio).

:wink: We can always ambush Janak and steal his MDA IV, he'll never know what hit him! Hahaha! :lol:

disconnected
07-04-2005, 05:50 AM
It's beginning to look as if this might be contagious. If it's not stopped quickly PPCThoughts will become extinct. 8O

jasondearyou
07-04-2005, 02:03 PM
i'll buy when fugitsu comes out with the next loox. then i'll be looxin to buy. 0X

Jon Westfall
07-04-2005, 03:26 PM
It's beginning to look as if this might be contagious. If it's not stopped quickly PPCThoughts will become extinct. 8O

Naw, if anything I might slow down enough to write up an article or review here or there!

Janak Parekh
07-04-2005, 03:58 PM
:wink: We can always ambush Janak and steal his MDA IV, he'll never know what hit him! Hahaha! :lol:
Wait a second, who says I have an MDA IV? 8O ;)

--janak

Phillip Dyson
07-04-2005, 07:44 PM
Well, good luck to you both. I have to admit 3 months is a long time. I'll be watching for updates on how you're doing.

If this thing gets too big, the M$ and the OEMs may get nervous about this blatant show of self-control.

There could be trouble. :lol:

Jon Westfall
07-04-2005, 09:39 PM
If this thing gets too big, the M$ and the OEMs may get nervous about this blatant show of self-control.

There could be trouble. :lol:

MS Thug: Now See here, we got an issue we need to resolve. let me make you an offer you can't refuse

&lt;thorws various PDAs, smartphones, software products, laptops, desktops, flat-panels, etc... at Jon &amp; Steven>

Jon &amp; Steven: Sabbatical over!

See Microsoft - it's just that easy :)

Darius Wey
07-05-2005, 03:14 AM
Wait a second, who says I have an MDA IV? 8O ;)

See, the tech withdrawal is screwing up their minds already. ;)

Janak Parekh
07-05-2005, 05:52 AM
MS Thug: Now See here, we got an issue we need to resolve. let me make you an offer you can't refuse

&lt;thorws various PDAs, smartphones, software products, laptops, desktops, flat-panels, etc... at Jon &amp; Steven>
As long as that's all they're throwing at you... 8O

--janak

Phillip Dyson
07-05-2005, 12:02 PM

As long as that's all they're throwing at you... 8O

--janak

Do you mean for the sake of his life, or his marriage? :devilboy:

knipknup
07-09-2005, 02:24 AM
I think #2 should be limited to begging for free copies or settling with trials until the end. The begging will build character!

Jason Dunn
07-09-2005, 05:00 PM
I seem to go in waves with this...I'll buy quite a few things, then nothing for a bit, then another wave. The wave just hit. 8O In the past week I've purchased a Canon MP780 multifunction printer, an R200 Espon printer, printable CDs, printable DVDs, a 300 GB hard drive, and an external hard drive enclosure. And I'm on the hunt for a new digital camera because I'm ticked off at my Casio Z50's low-light performance...

Jon Westfall
07-09-2005, 08:25 PM
I seem to go in waves with this...I'll buy quite a few things, then nothing for a bit, then another wave. The wave just hit. 8O In the past week I've purchased a Canon MP780 multifunction printer, an R200 Espon printer, printable CDs, printable DVDs, a 300 GB hard drive, and an external hard drive enclosure. And I'm on the hunt for a new digital camera because I'm ticked off at my Casio Z50's low-light performance...

The Waves are the worst part!

I've had a few questions so far that I'm wondering what people think the correct answer would be.

1. Is a Mini-SD card considered Media (Such as the CDRs were) and thus exempt or are they still 'technology'? My gut says technology, but maybe you guys will let me off the hook.

2. Is a case for my cell phone (nothing fancy, just a $15 ebay case) considered technology? I would draw the line at a Piel Frama or Vaja case, but for under $20, I'm not sure... And I would like to keep my phone from being too banged up.

So far I've saved around $90 on buys that I would have made in the past week. The spreadsheet i'm keeping track on is on one of my home systems (and I'm travelling, and I'm too lazy to fire up the VPN just to connect and grab one file), but I'm keeping up on it. Rest assured you'll all see the complete results come Oct 1 ;)

So what do you guys think? Without any replies I'll probably buy the phone case sometime in the next few days and probably not buy the Mini-SD unless it's ruled "Media" ;)

Darius Wey
07-10-2005, 03:41 AM
1. Is a Mini-SD card considered Media (Such as the CDRs were) and thus exempt or are they still 'technology'? My gut says technology, but maybe you guys will let me off the hook.

Theoretically, it's media, but it's also technology. I don't know which path you should take. Maybe you can buy half a miniSD card to satisfy your cravings? :lol:

2. Is a case for my cell phone (nothing fancy, just a $15 ebay case) considered technology? I would draw the line at a Piel Frama or Vaja case, but for under $20, I'm not sure... And I would like to keep my phone from being too banged up.

I wouldn't consider a case, technology. It'd definitely be classed under hardware, but unless your case flashes fancy lights and does something a normal case wouldn't, it'd be a non-technological item.

May the force be with you. Don't give in to the dark side. ;)

Jon Westfall
07-10-2005, 04:11 AM
Half a mini-SD eh? Sure, just chop off some of the outer plastic (but leave me the connectors and circuit board) and I'll be happy with that. Maybe I'll buy one but only use half of it until October (Hmm... buy a 512, use 256).

And the cases I'm looking at aren't very high tech. The most technical thing they do is expand and flex so the phone can open and close.

So the case is probably a go, but the mini-sd is still in the air.

Darius Wey
07-10-2005, 05:11 AM
So the case is probably a go, but the mini-sd is still in the air.

I guess you could evaluate it in the context of, "do you need or want the miniSD?" Strange though, as far as tech is concerned, both worlds seem to collide more often than not. :worried:

Phillip Dyson
07-10-2005, 05:32 AM
I would say that the SD is tech. Other wise where does it stop? How about a hard drive for your computer?

An extra case I would say no. But if its your only case, then let your conscience guide you.

IMO[/b]

Jon Westfall
07-10-2005, 03:28 PM
I would say that the SD is tech. Other wise where does it stop? How about a hard drive for your computer?

An extra case I would say no. But if its your only case, then let your conscience guide you.

IMO[/b]

Well, it would be my only case, but then again, it would be my only mini-SD card as well ;)

I wish I could just trade a 512 SD card for a 512 Mini-SD!

Phillip Dyson
07-10-2005, 05:45 PM
I wish I could just trade a 512 SD card for a 512 Mini-SD!

A trade would be nice. I had to return a print server (purchased prior to the Sabbatical) during my month, but the replacement cost more. So I had to walk out of the store without one.

Come to think of it, I still haven't gotten back to get a new one. :roll:

Airscanner
07-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Don't PPC Thoughts reviewers get free software from developers (reviewer's copies)? From what I've seen it's pretty standard in the industry.

Isn't that one of the perks of being an (unpaid) editor?

Phillip Dyson
07-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Don't PPC Thoughts reviewers get free software from developers (reviewer's copies)? From what I've seen it's pretty standard in the industry.

Thats true. I guess according to my guidelines Jon would have a loophole depending on how he approaches it. The way I did it was that any financial exchange was off limits. That included me making the purchase, or me getting someone else making the purchase.

However, I was free to download free software, or trials. I just couldn't ask someone specifically to make a purchase for me.

Jon, whats your take on this?

Jon Westfall
07-10-2005, 11:19 PM

Thats true. I guess according to my guidelines Jon would have a loophole depending on how he approaches it. The way I did it was that any financial exchange was off limits. That included me making the purchase, or me getting someone else making the purchase.

However, I was free to download free software, or trials. I just couldn't ask someone specifically to make a purchase for me.

Jon, whats your take on this?

My guideline is if money changes hands, that's the off limit zone. Now if my fiance buys me something, it would be a gray area (I'm certainly not going to ask her to buy me anything, or hint to it!). I guess I have a loophole, but it's not a very big one (Especially compared to http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,39275 which I purchased 3 months ago and am still exploring)

As far as editors &amp; reviewers getting free stuff - it really depends on the company that produces the product. Some companies send out versions of their software to the media, others do not. The main 'perk' I get out of being on the PPCT team is posting on new products and technologies and getting user's comments on them. I'd say reading the posts and seeing the community grow is truly the best part of the job :way to go:

Airscanner
07-10-2005, 11:31 PM
In my experience nearly all software companies, particularly smaller companies, will give you a free, full version copy of their software if you ask for a reviewer's license. They are glad to do it! Especially for a major site such as PocketPC Thoughts.

So why would you ever need to pay? Am I missing something here?

Phillip Dyson
07-11-2005, 12:10 AM
My guideline is if money changes hands, that's the off limit zone. Now if my fiance buys me something, it would be a gray area (I'm certainly not going to ask her to buy me anything, or hint to it!).

Thats pretty much the way I handled it. But in my situation, I'm the only one that buys tech for me. So I didn't have the grey area.

I think the bottom line is, in the grey areas solicite other perspectives, then let your conscience guide you. Perhaps document it so that when you present your end results others can make their own conclusions.

No need to justify every nook and cranny.

Jon Westfall
07-11-2005, 12:46 AM
In my experience nearly all software companies, particularly smaller companies, will give you a free, full version copy of their software if you ask for a reviewer's license. They are glad to do it! Especially for a major site such as PocketPC Thoughts.

So why would you ever need to pay? Am I missing something here?

Well, I'm not really the kind of person who asks for things like this. Since I don't really write reviews all that often - I usually just do quick write-ups for frontpage posts, I really don't think I 'deserve' to always get these things for free. I also like supporting developers, and most software is priced reasonably for the functionality it adds.

That being said, any developer out there itching to give me a copy of their program is more than welcome ;) However I'm not going to ask.

Jon Westfall
07-11-2005, 12:46 AM
My guideline is if money changes hands, that's the off limit zone. Now if my fiance buys me something, it would be a gray area (I'm certainly not going to ask her to buy me anything, or hint to it!).

Thats pretty much the way I handled it. But in my situation, I'm the only one that buys tech for me. So I didn't have the grey area.

I think the bottom line is, in the grey areas solicite other perspectives, then let your conscience guide you. Perhaps document it so that when you present your end results others can make their own conclusions.

No need to justify every nook and cranny.

Well, the grey area hasn't happened yet (She doesn't even know how to spell handango) but ya never know... ;)

Phillip Dyson
07-11-2005, 02:16 AM
[
That being said, any developer out there itching to give me a copy of their program is more than welcome ;) However I'm not going to ask.

:lol:

Jason Dunn
07-11-2005, 07:30 PM
In my experience nearly all software companies, particularly smaller companies, will give you a free, full version copy of their software if you ask for a reviewer's license. They are glad to do it! Especially for a major site such as PocketPC Thoughts. So why would you ever need to pay? Am I missing something here?

The team can accept free software, but if they agree to review it, they have to review it - few developers send us "just because" licenses to check out their product, so we don't ask for licenses unless we have the time to review it, or at minimum post about the application. And, strangely enough, not all developers want to give us codes just to check out their app - most want full-fledged reviews in exchange for the license code...and we don't have the resources to review EVERY application that comes our way.

Airscanner
07-11-2005, 07:48 PM
The team can accept free software

OK Boyz,

You heard the Boss... ;)

Phillip Dyson
07-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Jason has clarified the ThoughtsMedia policy and process.

I think we'll just have to trust Jon's wisdom to make the right decisions concerning his sabbatical. If the situation comes up.

As he said. and I agree, the sabbatical is really about actively pursuing technology to acquire via a financial exchange.

I think thats plain enough. :wink:

Jon Westfall
08-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Update on the MiniSD card thing: I didn't buy it :)

for more info, see my frontpage update to everyone!