View Full Version : PPC and Gmail

tzafrirs
06-30-2005, 02:04 AM
i think i saw a while ago a site 4 gmail that is designed 4 PPC.
and now i heard about the gmail-lite....
can i see normally Gmail on my ASUS A730W in my PPC browser (let's say NetForce) ?

Darius Wey
06-30-2005, 03:34 AM
You mean NetFront? The answer is yes, you can, but it's not designed to be a mobile-friendly fit for the Pocket PC. A long time ago, Gmail wouldn't even work for the Pocket PC. A few months later, they extended support for Pocket PCs via their "standard browser" support, which means if you're running Gmail on a browser other than the big few (e.g. Firefox, IE, etc.), then the Gmail service will only deliver basic functionality, which is how it runs on the Pocket PC. None of the bells and whistles you get normally on the desktop, but it still works.

delfuhd
06-30-2005, 04:34 AM
http://gmail.wiggster.com/

EDIT: oh wait thats not what you're looking for.

Um, i have no clue then :lol:

tzafrirs
06-30-2005, 09:47 AM
EDIT: oh wait thats not what you're looking for.

LOL

tzafrirs
06-30-2005, 09:53 AM
You mean NetFront? The answer is yes, you can, but it's not designed to be a mobile-friendly fit for the Pocket PC. A long time ago, Gmail wouldn't even work for the Pocket PC. A few months later, they extended support for Pocket PCs via their "standard browser" support, which means if you're running Gmail on a browser other than the big few (e.g. Firefox, IE, etc.), then the Gmail service will only deliver basic functionality, which is how it runs on the Pocket PC. None of the bells and whistles you get normally on the desktop, but it still works.
yea but it sucks.
i just can't understand anything when i access gmail in my netforece.
r u sure there no mobile-friendly gmail site?

uwaku
06-30-2005, 01:22 PM
I take it you're not a T-Mobile customer, or have never setup your gmail account in your PPC inbox. Why browse when you can treat it like any other email account?

My gmail, hotmail, 2x POP3 accounts, and secure mail all come straight to my PPC inbox.

Darius Wey
06-30-2005, 01:37 PM
yea but it sucks.

That was my point. ;) It works, but it's not designed to be mobile friendly.

r u sure there no mobile-friendly gmail site?

You have the option of setting up Gmail through POP and having it delivered to Outlook Mobile on your Pocket PC. As far as a mobile friendly web-based Gmail is concerned, Google has not yet delivered that feature.

tzafrirs
06-30-2005, 02:26 PM
If i use the POP option from my ppc, i think i won't be able to use it from my outlook (on my pc) later.
because it (gmail) will think that i have already "downloaded" that massage, won't it?

Darius Wey
06-30-2005, 04:05 PM
If i use the POP option from my ppc, i think i won't be able to use it from my outlook (on my pc) later.
because it (gmail) will think that i have already "downloaded" that massage, won't it?

If you've already got it set up on your PC through Outlook, why not set it to synchronise through ActiveSync? Obviously, POP lacks some of the server synchronisation functionality of IMAP, but by looping it through ActiveSync, you can achieve the same effect to a certain degree.

SteveHoward999
07-02-2005, 02:28 AM

Nope. The mail is left on the server whn you use POP form PPC.

chriswren
07-04-2005, 04:39 PM
I have a strange problem with gmail when accessing with POP from my PPC.......

I am using the basic email client so that I can use it with phonealarm << this works well and alearts me when the mail comes through.

My problem is:

I download the headers and choose which mails I want to download fully, these mailes then come down and I can read them but if I then check for new mail, the mail that I downloaded fully dissapears. The mail that I only downloaded the headers for stays in the Inbox.

The mail does not show in any directory but just dissapears (The mail is still there in the gmail inbox)

I am having to move it to another folder on the PPC before collecting the whole mail.

The gmail settings for pop, are just to leave it in the inbox ?????

Any thoughts ???

thanks

murph
07-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Chris - i am experiencing the same problem. sorry i haven't figured it out yet either. but please post here if you do.