View Full Version : Mapopolis software on Handango

jakehhi
06-28-2005, 05:57 PM
I was looking at buying the mapopolis software off Handango. There was the platinum + GPS , and an enhanced map pack. Are these two togethor the navigotor package. I'd like to support pocketpcthoughts.com and buy from handango.

Do any sites have a good deal for mapopolis right now?

Frosty Vibe
06-29-2005, 04:10 AM
That's interesting...

I wonder how much GPS capability does it actually have, because according to Mapopolis website, Platnum has no GPS capability.

Maybe it's like Microsoft S/T ?

Sven Johannsen
06-29-2005, 04:47 AM
The naming between Mapopolis's site and Handango certainly is disconcerting. In either case though it is nothing like Pocket Streets, the mobile companion to Steets and Trips.

I have used the Navigator map series for some time and am quite pleased. My understanding is that the Platinum series is what you have if you don't hook up GPS to your PPC. I do that a lot, but I have the option of hooking it up if I wish. Without the GPS you still get the option of generating a route either textual or drawn on the map, of your trip. You still get voice prompts for the turns, but you have to manually request the instructions for the next turn, rather than it being prompted by the GPS position.

Pocket Streets has no route generation at all,and the GPS support is limited to just showing you where you are, and which direction you are moving. Not to say it is a bad program. I use it often when I am looking for something, like a business or unfamiliar address. It does that very well, and if you are a bit familiar with the town, it can be invaluable. It has a good interface, is reasonably intuitive and quick and the price is right...free with Streets and Trips. It is not a navigation program however in the way that most folks think of them.

jakehhi
06-29-2005, 02:36 PM
I better be safe and buy the navigator pack instead. I definitely need the routing capabilities.

Thanks.