View Full Version : DO NOT purchase HP products from EBAY

toddreg
06-27-2005, 09:00 PM
It baffles me why people are purchasing IPAQ's off EBAY for close to or more than they can purchase a remanufactured one direct from HP. First, they do not know what they are getting and secondly they will not get a warranty regardless of what anyone tells you.

I repeat, EBAY IPAQ's DO NOT HAVE A WARRANTY. If you don't believe me just call HP and ask them. Their products must be purchased from an authorized dealer AND the warranties are NOT transferable. If anyone has information contrary to what I was told please post here to help others make a good purchase that includes a warranty.

Just trying to prevent someone from throwing away their money. I almost went the EBAY route but there were mainly two business on EBAY selling the 4700's. This prompted me to call HP direct and as a result I purchased from them. The potential cost savings of maybe $50 was not worth the warranty hassle. Bet there a lot of EBAY purchasers very unhappy in the end.

Rant over

ironguy
06-28-2005, 12:41 AM
This also applies to many other electronics too. I was going to buy a Sony DVD player some years ago. A guy on ebay had them very cheap. Upon further research, I found out that if it isn't purchased from an Authorised Dealer, the warranty is invalid. The same situation applied for my TV.

Thus the ever popular ebay phrase... CAVEAT EMPTOR!

This section of rant over.

SteveHoward999
06-28-2005, 12:58 AM
Toshiba have honoured warranties for PDAs and laptops I bought through eBay - some private sales, some 'power' sellers, but no official dealers so far as I know.

Mitch D
06-28-2005, 01:26 AM
It has always been buyer beware on EBay, I have bought several items off the site and I would never expect the manufacture to repair a used piece of electronics under warranty.

Stephen Beesley
06-28-2005, 01:43 AM
Toshiba have honoured warranties for PDAs and laptops I bought through eBay - some private sales, some 'power' sellers, but no official dealers so far as I know.

Despite my recent ebay problems (which were really a problem just with the particular seller) I have never had a problem with warranties. I have bought both a HP product (Jornada 568) and a Toshiba (e755) off ebay. Both new and unboxed, but which for various reasons I needed to call on the warranty - both of them were honoured without question. Both came from powersellers with their own ebay stores.

Maybe it just depends on who you get when you call in your warranty request.

Patrick Y.
06-28-2005, 01:44 AM
That's why I never want to buy Pocket PCs off e-bay. :? :roll:

Jon Westfall
06-28-2005, 02:00 AM
Most of my units have come from ebay. The real question to me goes: "Is the price of the unit here low enough for me to eat it if the unit dies on me". Grabbing an old iPAQ for well below remanufacturered cost is one thing, but as the author points out, a current unit for almost the same price as remanufacturered is probaby not the best idea.

Of course, eBay is awesome for most other things - I recently purchased a RoadWired Mega Media bag (slightly used, nothing majorly wrong with it) for $70. Being that it's the leather version, Roadwired's new price is $299. That's the eBay idea!

emuelle1
06-28-2005, 02:24 AM
I'm sure there are deals out there, but Ebay seems to have turned into a den of thieves. I've learned to avoid it completely. Even the honest sellers are starting to charge way too much for shipping.

Something that really set me off last week was when I went searching for a cell phone, since my wife always wants to find the cheapest price. I did a search for "Nokia 6620". I got a few of them, but I also got results along the lines of (most numbers made up for effect) Nokia 1111 NOT 2222 3333 6620. Great. So I search for one phone and this butthead gets a search returned that is his phone NOT my phone.

I hate Ebay. :evil:

MitchellO
06-28-2005, 06:04 AM
I bought my XDA II Mini off ebay, and it had a dead pixel. o2 fixed it fine, no warranty problems.

I sold a HP iPAQ 2210 to somebody on eBay, and it still had 4 months warranty on it. I called HP and told them that I had sold the PDA and wanted to put the new owners details in. They did it without question, and he was able to contact them with the same warranty coverage I had.

I find ebay great, and have bought and sold (and currently selling) many things on ebay, and will continue to do so.

Andy Whiteford
06-29-2005, 12:20 PM

Despite my recent ebay problems (which were really a problem just with the particular seller) I have never had a problem with warranties. I have bought both a HP product (Jornada 568) and a Toshiba (e755) off ebay. Both new and unboxed, but which for various reasons I needed to call on the warranty - both of them were honoured without question. Both came from powersellers with their own ebay stores.

Maybe it just depends on who you get when you call in your warranty request.

I'm the same - never had a problem with HP honouring a warranty on second products.

IpaqMan2
06-30-2005, 04:35 AM
I've purchased an iPaq 4355 from ebay and got it at a steal in compareds to any local store or even what I can find from the internet at the time....and ya know what?? When I thought something went wrong several months later I had it serviced from HP.

Simply put.. You have to know how to shop...Even on Ebay.

Everything I buy on Ebay I have gotten serviced if it needed. In fact....
I have never bought a new PDA (except 1) that wasn't from Ebay.