View Full Version : Remove Pocket Excel/Word

pivaska
06-24-2005, 02:08 PM
I purchased both PlanMaker and TextMaker which are really fantastic programs. Obviously I don't need Pocket Excel or Pocket Word. Has anyone figured out how to remove them and free up some much needed memory?

Sven Johannsen
06-24-2005, 03:22 PM
They are in ROM, you can't remove them. You would not get any space back if you could, as they are in the OEM section of ROM. You can remove the shorcuts to them in your Programs folder just to get that out of your line of sight.

Out of curiosity, for all you lucky folks that have WM2005 devices already, how does installing a new app work. I assume it goes into the one big ROM space, that was divided between OEM OS space and Built-in-storage or File Store. If we can put stuff there, can we remove stuff? How does a hard reset work? Since the ROM would appear as one homogonous glob, how does the system know what was there to begin with and what is user stuff?

Kowalski
06-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Out of curiosity, for all you lucky folks that have WM2005 devices already, how does installing a new app work. I assume it goes into the one big ROM space, that was divided between OEM OS space and Built-in-storage or File Store. If we can put stuff there, can we remove stuff? How does a hard reset work? Since the ROM would appear as one homogonous glob, how does the system know what was there to begin with and what is user stuff?

i dont have wm2005 running on my system, but i think the solution to your question would be very simple. a readonly flag which user dont have permission to change will do the job.

pivaska
06-24-2005, 04:54 PM
I didn't think that there was any "normal" way to remove them. And you are right...it wouldn't make any difference anyway if they were removed or not. I did remove the shortcuts.

If anyone is wondering about purchasing TextMaker and/or PlanMaker I would highly recommend both of them. Especially since they have the greatest pricing deal going on right now.

Paragon
06-24-2005, 05:59 PM
I assume it goes into the one big ROM space, that was divided between OEM OS space and Built-in-storage or File Store. If we can put stuff there, can we remove stuff? How does a hard reset work? Since the ROM would appear as one homogonous glob, how does the system know what was there to begin with and what is user stuff?

I'm not using a WM5.0 device, but from what I've read, Sven, it seems like the ROM will be partitioned into user accessible, and non, and will be managed in much the same way that user accessible ROM is now. A hard reset won't remove it, since it is not volatile, but it looks like there be some sort of cleansing function, because one of the functions the new SP2 for Exchange Server has is the ability to remotely wipe a WM5.0 device. So, when some middle management type leaves his HTC Universal sitting in a bar somewhere with the latest quarterly financial report on it the IT guys can wipe it clean. ;) This would imply that there is some builtin function to " hard reset" for lack of a better term.

Dave

Sven Johannsen
06-24-2005, 08:25 PM
This would imply that there is some builtin function to " hard reset" for lack of a better term.

Dave

That exist now. I think it was one of the PHM power toys that let you initiate a hard reset from a menu, i.e. software initiated...with several "are you sures". Doing it remotely from a connection not initiated by the PPC is the new feature I believe. I hope that feature is pretty bulletproof. I'd hate to think some IT admin could fat finger a unique ID for his forgetful CEOs PPC, miss it by one number, and hard reset mine.

Paragon
06-24-2005, 10:18 PM
I hope that feature is pretty bulletproof. I'd hate to think some IT admin could fat finger a unique ID for his forgetful CEOs PPC, miss it by one number, and hard reset mine.

Yeah, I saw it demoed somewhere it looked pretty bulletproof. I think a couple of old guys like you and me could even get it right, Sven. ;)

Dave

Sven Johannsen
06-25-2005, 02:26 AM
I hope that feature is pretty bulletproof. I'd hate to think some IT admin could fat finger a unique ID for his forgetful CEOs PPC, miss it by one number, and hard reset mine.

Yeah, I saw it demoed somewhere it looked pretty bulletproof. I think a couple of old guys like you and me could even get it right, Sven. ;)

Dave

It's not us old guys I'm worried about, Dave. It's them young whippersnappers that gots them ipod thingies stuck in their ears while trying to type serial numbers to the rap beat. :idontthinkso:

Paragon
06-25-2005, 03:35 AM
:D