View Full Version : Buy An Axim X50/X50v Now, Get Free Upgrade to WM5 In October

Janak Parekh
06-22-2005, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/pda?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs' target='_blank'>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/pro...s=19&l=en&s=dhs</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Get a FREE Windows Mobile 5.0 Upgrade CD ($39.00 value) when you purchase a new Axim X50/X50v. Simply select the Windows upgrade option when you "customize and price" and purchase your PDA today. Your upgrade CD will ship in October when available. Be one of the first to benefit from the new features of Windows Mobile 5.0 software by taking advantage of this limited time offer."</i><br /><br />Dell has quietly put up a free upgrade offer for people buying X50 or X50v units now. If you've been looking to buy an X50(v) but wanted to wait for WM5, you've got another choice. :) (The offer is listed under the Special Offers column.)

Don Tolson
06-23-2005, 12:04 AM
I just sent a note off to the Canadian support arm, with the URL of the US offer.

Let's see if they will honor this on the Axim X50v's they were selling for $285 off! (Which I am now the proud owner of, btw...) :D

lapchinj
06-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Anyone hear of any upgrade path like this for people who bought a x50v over the past month or two? Or from when Dell will honor this offer? Don't see anything on the Dell site and can't find anyone at the Dell help desk that knows.

People here in the forums seem to know more about a company's products than the companies themselves. Which really does't say much about the current state of affairs with regards to support assistance offered by companies. We just happen to be the bread and butter of those companies and should be able to to get some answers (aka - support assistance). :nonono: Sorry but I had to get this off my chest. :|

Jeff

Busdriver
06-23-2005, 12:50 AM
Tempting......

Patrick Y.
06-23-2005, 01:50 AM
This offer really makes x50 series unresistable. :shocked!: :P :drool: I think I'll buy one.

Jonathon Watkins
06-23-2005, 09:34 AM
OK, so now we have a price and a date for the upgrade release. Cool. 8)

I kind of expected Dell to do this, but it just confirms what I thought about them anyway. :way to go:

Based on past history, I also know that this will be the only OS upgrade they offer for the X50 series, but that's OK. If I can get nearly two years of good service out of a device I'm happy.

ethancaine
06-23-2005, 10:18 AM
I just did a thorough search of the website and still nothing stating the upgrade is actually for sale for preorder, just the new Axim orders will receive the upgrade. Hopefully, we current X50/X50v owners will receive some good news soon.

Jonathan1
06-23-2005, 03:17 PM
All I want to know is when will I be able to get my 4705 upgrade and for how much. If its $40 as well I'll probably go in with a neighbor who also has a 4705. :?

lapchinj
06-23-2005, 03:19 PM
I just did a thorough search of the website and still nothing stating the upgrade is actually for sale for preorder, just the new Axim orders will receive the upgrade. Hopefully, we current X50/X50v owners will receive some good news soon.

Yeah I could not find anything out either. When I called even the person at Dell didn't know. I would be nice it they did back date such an offer say a purchase made in the last 1-6 months. Some companies will do it with their upgrades and the amount of time varies. It would be kind of bad PR if they didn't give anything but they could weather the bad publicity. I'm sure in the end they will offer something it's just that the company is so huge that if you stick them on one side it will take weeks before the other side says ouch. It also seems that information between management and support also run at the same speed.

Jeff-

sundown
06-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Wait a minute here. Maybe I missed the news somewhere but this announcement makes it sound like those of us who bought the X50 prior till now are going to have to buy the upgrade. Maybe not but it sounds that way. I hope I'm wrong. $40 isn't that big a deal but the original announcement said existing X50 owners would get the upgrade at no charge, didn't it?

Ed@Brighthand
06-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Wait a minute here. Maybe I missed the news somewhere but this announcement makes it sound like those of us who bought the X50 prior till now are going to have to buy the upgrade. Maybe not but it sounds that way. I hope I'm wrong. $40 isn't that big a deal but the original announcement said existing X50 owners would get the upgrade at no charge, didn't it?
No, Dell said from the beginning that there would be a charge for this upgrade. Only those who buy their Axim X50 from now on will get the upgrade for free. I'm guessing this offer will last until they start shipping new X50s with Windows Mobile 5.0 pre-loaded.

Don't forget, Dell has to pay Microsoft a licencing fee for the upgrade. I believe the fee is the same, whether it's a whole new handheld or just a new version of the operating system.

My contact at Dell mentioned that the upgrade was going on sale, but it's not on the site yet. I'll drop her a note.

Robb Bates
06-23-2005, 05:49 PM
All I want to know is when will I be able to get my 4705 upgrade and for how much. If its $40 as well I'll probably go in with a neighbor who also has a 4705. :?

Sorry, but I must point out the fact that doing so would be pirating a copy and thus, stealing.

It's so hard nowadays to see things like "sharing" MP3s and giving your buddy a copy of a some new software you just bought as stealing, but that's what it is.

Just bite the bullet and fork over the cash.

Robb

applejosh
06-23-2005, 06:09 PM

Sorry, but I must point out the fact that doing so would be pirating a copy and thus, stealing.

It's so hard nowadays to see things like "sharing" MP3s and giving your buddy a copy of a some new software you just bought as stealing, but that's what it is.

Robb

Exactly.

If you could afford the 4705 in the first place, then I don't think $40 is asking too much for a new OS. It's not as though you're entitled to every upgrade, accessory, etc. for free.

Jason Dunn
06-23-2005, 06:43 PM
$40 isn't that big a deal but the original announcement said existing X50 owners would get the upgrade at no charge, didn't it?

Nope, Dell has always charged for the upgrade and I don't recall anyone announcing that it would be free. They're only making it free for new sales of the X50 so they don't kill the sales of the current products...

Sven Johannsen
06-23-2005, 09:45 PM

Robb

Sales of upgrades likely figure prominently into a vendor's decision to produce one next time as well. If they only sell one copy, they probably won't go through the trouble again.

lapchinj
06-24-2005, 01:06 AM
...but the original announcement said existing X50 owners would get the upgrade at no charge, didn't it?
I couldn't find anything about that on their site or any offer being offered to recent purchaces. But then again I've been having trouble with my eyes lately :?

Jeff-

sundown
06-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Okay then, my mistake. I must have misread or more likely dreamed it. :?

Don Tolson
06-25-2005, 12:45 AM
No word yet from Dell Canada on whether they will honor the offer for those of us who just bought thier Axim X50V.

I'll keep checking, though.

/drt

ethancaine
06-25-2005, 01:01 AM
My contact at Dell mentioned that the upgrade was going on sale, but it's not on the site yet. I'll drop her a note.

Anyone know (from the last upgrade) where the purchase option will be? If you go to the 'upgrade OS' section of their website, it only lists desktop/laptop OS's.

miterb
06-25-2005, 06:12 PM
This was too good a deal to pass up. For $417.90 plus tax - the X50V, 2-yr extended Warrany, extra 1100mAh battery, free upgrade to 5.0 and USB Cradle/Cable.

Of course I just couldn't let that alone and purchased the blue-tooth keyboard, extra styli, a 3rd year of extended warranty and screen savers which brought it up to $612 including tax.

Offer is good through the end of June. I think it is an excellent deal to replace my 3-yr old Toshiba e740. Too bad there is no X50V software for my Pocketop Keyboard but I'll probably end up giving the Tosh to my son, or put it on Ebay.

Brad