View Full Version : litconvertdemo.exe help

gwinter
06-22-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm looking for a tool to author simple documents in MS Reader format. The sample converter (http://msdn.microsoft.com/code/list/reader.asp) delivered with the Reader Content SDK should do the job nicely. The only problem is I don't have a complier to compile the project, and I can't find a pre-compiled binary.

So I need help from someone who has Visual C++ or Visual Studio to compile the project. Someone? Anyone? Please?

uwaku
06-22-2005, 06:28 PM
So you don't want to just use the free LIT converters that are already out there? What's wrong with Reader Studio? What're you trying to do that they don't? :?:

gwinter
06-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Well, I admit it might be easier to use ReaderWorks, but anything that is free does not allow total control over what goes into the ebook. A tool like litconvertdemo will compile OEB-compliant source files and allow things like cover image, chapter tour and pretty much everything else.

It should be quite similar to the Dictionary Authoring Kit, which I have used successfully to generate my own dictionary for use within Reader itself.

uwaku
06-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Now I'm starting to wonder if you've ever used Reader Studio. It does all that. If you don't have it, I can send it to you.

gwinter
06-23-2005, 04:59 PM
You're right. I've never used Reader Studio. I mistakenly thought you were talking about ReaderWorks Standard edition. A short search later and I've taken a look at it. Seems like a nifty tool. It's built around the Content SDK. Certainly very useful, but it still doesn't give total control over all aspect of the ebook. Let me try to explain.

The litcovertdemo tool compile a package file which specify what goes into the ebook and how it appears in the ebook. Reader Studio generates this package file automatically saving you the trouble. But let me give a few examples of what can't be done with Reader Studio alone:
- Multiple source file. The content of the ebook can be spread over any number of html files.
- Content can be arranged in any order. For example I might want to put a foreword or prologue or dedication page before the table of content page. If I'm crazy I can even put the TOC in the middle or at the end of the book!
- You know that table of content page is supported. But do you also know that you can also have TOC that doesn't appear in the ebook itself, but appear as pagelets that floats above the ebook pages when called? There might be some cases when this is useful.
- Take a look at the riffle control at the bottom of Reader. There are two buttons that sort of work like previous-chapter and next-chapter. You can specify how they work. And they don't necessarily have to point to start of chapter, or do so in a linear fashion.

Another important thing to me is that I learn in the process what goes into the ebook and what the tags do.

dMores
06-26-2005, 08:44 PM
sounds like you're really into developing ebooks.
do you publish? or do you write and publish yourself?
you have any place where i can see what you can do ?
(content-wise as well as optimizing technology and getting the most out of an ebook format)

gwinter
06-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Oh no, I don't publish at all. So I know pretty much nothing about publishing (or preparing a manuscript for publishing). But I mean, we all do know a book is, and what it consists of.
I use the Reader dictionaries quite a bit. Recently I make my own small foreign language dictionary using the Kit from Microsoft to help my learning. I just thought it might be a good idea to store some other books or documents in this format since I can also access the dictionary if I come across a word that I don't understand. For a start, there's the excellent short stories from Cory Doctorow (http://www.craphound.com/). I thought of collating all the shorts from A Place So Foreign (http://craphound.com/place/) into an ebook for my own reading.

you have any place where i can see what you can do ?
Well, as no one has offered their help, I couldn't get anything compiled yet.

smileyguy
07-19-2005, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure that it can do all you want, but have you tried MobiPocket Publisher? (If you look for version 3 it is still freeware) It allows for multiple source files, that I am sure of.

gwinter
01-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Well, it's been a while, but I've found a way to compile the sample. I've even modified it slightly to suit me. It works just as I expected which is perfect.

This tool is extremely powerful because it is exposing (what I believe) all that a .lit can ever do. Insert copyright info? No problem. Make the "Begin Reading" button work? Check. Multiple source file with TOC and chapter tour? Not a problem.

On the other hand, it is not a tool to help you produce the source file for conversion. Therefore don't expect to put in a .doc file and get something. You'll need to have valid XML source files, and then write the another XML package file to specify the structure and metadata of the ebook.

Conclusion: Anyone wanting total control in producing their .lit file should have a look at the SDK. But be prepared to spend quite a bit of time *studying* this before it can be useful, especially if you don't know XML.