View Full Version : NetFront 3.2 Available on PocketGear

Phillip Dyson
06-22-2005, 11:43 AM
NetFront 3.2 now available on PocketGear (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=18366).

Here is an exerpt from the email I received this morning.

Dear NetFront v3.1 for Pocket PC users,

On June 22nd, ACCESS announced NetFront v3.2 for Pocket PC 2003/
2003 Second Edition, a powerful new version of the world's
most widely deployed and actively used micro-browser.

As a registered NetFront v3.1 user, you may now qualify for a upgrade
discount offer for NetFront v3.2.

*NetFront v3.1 for for Pocket PC 2003/2003 Second Edition with
JV-Lite2 New Features:

-Rapid-Render(TM)
-JV-Lite 2, J2ME CDC compatible Java VM
-Supports Pocket PC 2003 and 2003 Second Edition
-Supports Macromedia Flash(R)
-And many more popular features

For details go to:
http://nfppc.access.co.jp/english/

Additional features supported by NetFront v3.2 for Pocket PC,
not available on Pocket Internet Explorer:

-Multi-Window Display
-Smart-Fit-Rendering(TM)
-Internet Search Bar
-Auto-Cruise
-Drag-Scroll
-Page Memo
-External Application Helper
-Save Image

*Qualified Users:
Registered NetFront v3.1 for Pocket PC users
who purchased NetFront at PocketGear.

*Supported OS software:
Windows Mobile 2003 software for PocketPC,
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition software for PocketPC

*Special Discount Upgrade Prices:
NetFront v3.1 for for Pocket PC 2003/2003 Second Edition with JV-Lite2
$14.80 (U.S.) (Regular price: $29.80 (U.S.))

*How to Take Advantage of this Upgrade Offer:
To purchase the discounted upgrade version of the new and powerful
NetFront v3.2 for Pocket PC you will have to use a special upgrade
discount code at PocketGear (http://www.pocketgear.com/).
Special codes have been assigned for NetFront v3.1 for Pocket PC
2003/2003 Second Edition with JV-Lite2.
You will need to enter the assigned code on the purchase page.
The code is listed below.

*Effective date:
Starting on June 23rd, 2005

*For questions contact ACCESS' NetFront support team at:
[email protected]

Sven Johannsen
06-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Wonder if it is just typos. The e-mail above, which I got too, indicates "NetFront v3.1 for for Pocket PC 2003/2003 Second Edition with JV-Lite2 New Features:". We already now that.
The link takes you to a page describing the wonder of 3.1
The additional features section says "Additional features supported by NetFront v3.2 for Pocket PC, not available on Pocket Internet Explorer " and I see things there that are already in 3.1.

Even the list at Pocketgear covers a lot of stuff already in 3.1.

I'd like to see a definitive list of what 3.2 gives me over 3.1 before I spend 50% of the full price for a 0.1 upgrade.

P.S. If you don't already have this, it is worthwhile. Lots of things that PIE can't do are covered by this browser. A lot of difficulties with banking sites using PIE are resolved.

Phillip Dyson
06-22-2005, 03:14 PM
I noticed the 3.1 version in the details link also. PocketGear seems to have it as version 3.2

We'll have to keep an eye out.

Menneisyys
06-22-2005, 03:39 PM
It's the real 3.2. I've installed and checked it.

Kati Compton
06-22-2005, 03:57 PM
I'd like to see a definitive list of what 3.2 gives me over 3.1 before I spend 50% of the full price for a 0.1 upgrade.

Hmm... if they're going to charge that much for an upgrade, it'd be nice if they supported true VGA a little better (ie, fix the oversized location bar). That alone would make me willing to spend a bit of money. Maybe not 50%, but some...

Menneisyys
06-22-2005, 04:04 PM

It has some bugfixes (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39674), the most important being the fixed cache handling. If you use the browser often, and have already run into this problem (or, if you disabled cache entirely because of its problems in pre-3.2 versions), it's a very useful bugfix.

Sven Johannsen
06-22-2005, 04:36 PM

It has some bugfixes (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39674), the most important being the fixed cache handling. If you use the browser often, and have already run into this problem (or, if you disabled cache entirely because of its problems in pre-3.2 versions), it's a very useful bugfix.

A bug fix shouldn't cost 50% of new.

applejosh
06-22-2005, 05:07 PM
According to the email I got, the upgrade deal I get at Handango doesn't become active until tomorrow (June 23rd), so that might be when the official rollout is.

Menneisyys
06-22-2005, 05:10 PM

A bug fix shouldn't cost 50% of new.

Well, it has some enhancements too.

Janak Parekh
06-22-2005, 05:12 PM
According to the email I got, the upgrade deal I get at Handango doesn't become active until tomorrow (June 23rd), so that might be when the official rollout is.
Yeah - I'm watching this, and if that's the case we'll frontpage it tomorrow.

--janak

doughboy
06-22-2005, 06:33 PM
So it appears for WM2003 devices they are charging $15 for:
* RapidRender
* a new version of Java
* the cache bug fix

Macromedia Flash for PPC has been available as a free download for a while.

Can someone please speculate what "Client authentication is supported" means? Will the new version of Java possibly help with my online bill pay site's incompatibility with Java script???

$15 seems a bit steep for so few improvements recognized by WM2003 users.

Menneisyys
06-22-2005, 06:36 PM
my online bill pay site's incompatibility with Java script???

Is it incompatible with JavaScript? NF ha smuch better JS support than PIE.

doughboy
06-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Menneisyys:

What I meant is that my Bill Pay site will not currently work with NetFront 3.1; however, I can drill down further into the site than with PIE. Although I think it uses Javascript, since I am not a techie it may just be Java. The site presents as multiple frames in v3.1

I am curious whether v3.2 would allow me to actually use my Bill Pay site.

applejosh
06-22-2005, 08:52 PM
On the Pocketgear site, there's a discount code listed in the description. Don't know how long it will last, but it's there. (I'm still waiting for Handango to be updated since that's where I bought it initially, and the upgrade discount is better than the new user discount.)

Phillip Dyson
06-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Does anyone know if it fixed the awful menu sizing and wesite rendering that you get when using it with VGA (MS-VGA)?

Those are the reasons I stopped using it and went back to slow PIE.

yankeejeep
06-23-2005, 06:13 PM
On the Pocketgear site, there's a discount code listed in the description. Don't know how long it will last, but it's there. (I'm still waiting for Handango to be updated since that's where I bought it initially, and the upgrade discount is better than the new user discount.)
Another user trying to be patient until Handango gets it posted. Do you suppose that they are waiting until it's 11:59 pm in Honolulu (which would still be the 23rd)? Heavy sigh over one of those times I did not buy from PocketGear.

applejosh
06-23-2005, 07:18 PM
I think it's whenever they train the rat to press the proper bar. He gets a treat, and we finally get to download NetFront. I guess we have a slow rat today.

(As stated numerous times all over the Internet, Handango's service really sucks. Apparently the extra $$ they're taking from the developers isn't going to a more streamlined system. It's going to pay for the CEO's yacht trip.)

applejosh
06-24-2005, 01:17 AM
NetFront 3.2 is finally on Handango. Unfortunately, my upgrade discount code isn't working. I've got emails/service requests to Handango and Access.