View Full Version : Thoughts Media Pricegrabber Store Launched

Jason Dunn
06-21-2005, 02:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://thoughtsmedia.pricegrabber.com/' target='_blank'>http://thoughtsmedia.pricegrabber.com/</a><br /><br /></div>We've teamed up with Pricegrabber and launched a new low-price shopping portal that can be found at <a href="http://thoughtsmedia.pricegrabber.com/">thoughtsmedia.pricegrabber.com</a>. We've had a Pocket PC Thoughts-branded Pricegrabber store for a couple of years, but we wanted to centralize it for all our Web sites. When you look up a product, say <a href="http://thoughtsmedia.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=152/form_keyword=SD%20cards/vendors%5B%5D=KTC/popup1%5B%5D=50:105">Kingston SD cards</a>, and you click on the <a href="http://thoughtsmedia.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=5743664/prsrt=1">product link</a> you'll be presented with a list of vendors selling that product and their prices. When you click on one of the prices and are taken to that vendor's site, Thoughts Media gets a tiny payment from Pricegrabber. Just by browsing around you can support us - you don't even need to buy anything. ;-) Thanks for your support!<br /><br />Here's a listing of Pricegrabber's top five Secure Digital memory cards to get you started:<br /><script src="http://www.thoughtsmedia.com/feeds/js/pricegrabber.php?items=5&kw=Secure+Digital"></script>

OSUKid7
06-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Cool. :) Maybe there should be another link under the "Shop" menu above? I don't see any other way to get to there except for in this topic, and I'm sure I'll forget after a few days and just type in pricegrabber.com instead.

Jason Dunn
06-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Cool. :) Maybe there should be another link under the "Shop" menu above? I don't see any other way to get to there except for in this topic, and I'm sure I'll forget after a few days and just type in pricegrabber.com instead.

Yup, working on it. ;-)

lapchinj
06-21-2005, 05:02 PM
...Thanks for your support!...

A pleasure and I'll use the link whenever possible.

As a twist to what OSUKid7 mentioned maybe you can create a page with the latest and greatest PPC stuff (that we love) that could always be online and updated regularly (if not too much trouble) and all we would have to do is click on the shop menu go to that page and do some clicking. You might get some serious traffic flowing. I know I would love to browse something like that.

Jeff-

marcm
06-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Awesome! This should be useful for getting the best prices on everything... For example, that 1GB SD card is a whole lot cheaper than Future Shop is selling it for... :wink: I can't wait to see some other good prices on everything in the future... :D

Jon Westfall
06-21-2005, 05:25 PM
At these prices for SD cards, I don't have to go Ebay-ing for cards. I can't imagine paying $69 for a 512 Sandisk card as some retailers charge. I just got one off ebay last week for a price within $1 of the Pricegrabber price above.

Jon.

beq
06-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Awesome thanks Jason. I've been waiting for the SanDisk 2GB Ultra II SD card for the longest time (most recently not even a week ago), but they were out of stock everywhere, and the only couple of places supposedly in stock were selling them for like close to $300 instead of under $200! IIRC eCost was such a vendor who'd really marked up their price when no one else had it in stock (unless my memory is mistaken)...

In fact NewEgg had eventually dropped this card from their listing after its ETA was repeatedly pushed back...

Edit: Wait a sec, the cheapest couple of places from the PriceGrabber listing that proclaim to have this card in stock, in actuality don't (as shown if you click the link to their website) :( And I'm a bit leery about trusting the last couple of vendors from the PriceGrabber page also proclaiming to have in stock, since I'm not too familiar with those vendors...

Jason Dunn
06-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Edit: Wait a sec, the cheapest couple of places from the PriceGrabber listing that proclaim to have this card in stock, in actuality don't (as shown if you click the link to their website) :( And I'm a bit leery about trusting the last couple of vendors from the PriceGrabber page also proclaiming to have in stock, since I'm not too familiar with those vendors...

Yeah, ultimately the data we display is whatever Pricegrabber gets from the vendor, and not all vendors are accurate/honest/competent. So, as with all things in life, take it with a grain of salt. ;-)

Jason Dunn
06-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Awesome! This should be useful for getting the best prices on everything... For example, that 1GB SD card is a whole lot cheaper than Future Shop is selling it for... :wink: I can't wait to see some other good prices on everything in the future... :D

Would everyone like to see a weekly posting like the one above showing prices on memory cards? Every Wednesday we do the Pocket PC listing, but we have the ability to do the same type of thing with any other type of product. On Mondays we could do SD cards for instance, and Fridays would be CompactFlash cards. Would that interest some of you?

lapchinj
06-21-2005, 06:31 PM
IMHO I think that people should really look at using the high speed cards rather than the regular ones. I've been using the Lexar 1gb 80x CF and 32x SD cards for around a year (I think) and use it for everything. I've given up backing up to ZIP and Jazz drives and carry them around in my pocket. I do my daily backups of my local development folders to them. I install all my PPC stuff to them (SD really) and running the apps from the SD is just fine. The only problem with installing to the card is that sometimes an apps look for their resources in memory (not nice).

I've seen a big difference in writing to the faster cards as opposed to the slower ones and that difference would also be very noticable in a camera writing to the card. It is definately well worth the extra money to go the faster card route. I save all my old cards to send to my parents with pictures of their grandchidren (which they pop into their SanDisk TV - card viewer since they're allergic to technology).

Jeff-

lapchinj
06-21-2005, 06:37 PM
...Would everyone like to see a weekly posting like the one above showing prices on memory cards? Every Wednesday we do the Pocket PC listing, but we have the ability to do the same type of thing with any other type of product. On Mondays we could do SD cards for instance, and Fridays would be CompactFlash cards. Would that interest some of you?
Yeah very much. It would be very useful since I'm always looking for CF and SD cards

Jeff-

OSUKid7
06-21-2005, 06:39 PM
IMHO I think that people should really look at using the high speed cards rather than the regular ones. I've been using the Lexar 1gb 80x CF and 32x SD cards for around a year (I think) and use it for everything. I've given up backing up to ZIP and Jazz drives and carry them around in my pocket. I do my daily backups of my local development folders to them. I install all my PPC stuff to them (SD really) and running the apps from the SD is just fine. The only problem with installing to the card is that sometimes an apps look for their resources in memory (not nice).

I've seen a big difference in writing to the faster cards as opposed to the slower ones and that difference would also be very noticable in a camera writing to the card. It is definately well worth the extra money to go the faster card route. I save all my old cards to send to my parents with pictures of their grandchidren (which they pop into their SanDisk TV - card viewer since they're allergic to technology).
But I didn't think Pocket PCs took advantage of the higher speed because their bus speeds were lower. Has that changed?

Jonathan1
06-21-2005, 08:26 PM
You missed one:

http://img.engadget.com/common/images/5192190442253076.JPG

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000273047521/

8O

nz0eBoy
06-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Pricegrabber used to have an option to display stores that ship internationally, but this appears to have gone. Does anyone know if I can still do a search like this - I think given the worldwode community that PPCT et al. supports that this might be important.

Jason Dunn
06-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Pricegrabber used to have an option to display stores that ship internationally, but this appears to have gone. Does anyone know if I can still do a search like this - I think given the worldwode community that PPCT et al. supports that this might be important.

I'll ask them about that...

lapchinj
06-22-2005, 01:14 AM
But I didn't think Pocket PCs took advantage of the higher speed because their bus speeds were lower. Has that changed?
Yeah I've heard that said a few times here concerning the PPC but as far as any other environment it's noticable mch faster. When I have to copy a lot of files or just large files to the PPC I usually pull it out and put it into a card reader. But as far as using them for everyday work they got the regular cards beat. And they last for years. Even the great big 8mb card that came with my first digital camera is still going strong. They sure put my Zip drives out of business.

Putting it into my camera was also a big plus. And I was able to see the the difference both taking pictures and then copying off the pictures using a reader (I don't use the camera interface).

I guess your saying that there's not a noticable difference using the faster as opposed to the slower but I still put both a 80x CF and a 32x SD card into my Dell x50v. I figured that they did so well outside of the PPC world it was worth the extra cash to put it into the PPC also. I guess I was so impressed with the performance outside the PPC workd I didn't even give it a second guess when it came to putting it into my Dell. But the chips are getting faster aren't they?

I would love to see an article on card speeds and how they run in different hardware.

While I use more CF cards than any other type I haven't paid more than $95 for any of the 80x Lexar CF cards I have. And when your looking at $75 for a regular 1gb CF card I think that the 80x is a better buy. The best analogy I have is the feeling you get when upgrading from USB1 to USB2 that's how it seems going from regular to 80x. It's a very noticable difference.

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth

Jeff-

ctmagnus
06-22-2005, 04:28 AM
A bunch o' stuff about bus speeds and card speeds

But what about Card Export (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40759)? Has anyone tested a highspeed card with it and a USB2.0 machine?

beq
06-22-2005, 08:20 AM
Awesome thanks Jason. I've been waiting for the SanDisk 2GB Ultra II SD card for the longest time (most recently not even a week ago), but they were out of stock everywhere, and the only couple of places supposedly in stock were selling them for like close to $300 instead of under $200! IIRC eCost was such a vendor who'd really marked up their price when no one else had it in stock (unless my memory is mistaken)...

In fact NewEgg had eventually dropped this card from their listing after its ETA was repeatedly pushed back...

Coincidentally, the very same day I posted the above, Buy.com notified me that my previous order for that SanDisk 2GB Ultra II SD card has finally shipped. The thing is, the card was $200 when I'd placed the order, but the current listed price at Buy.com is $180. Yet the current listing for the card says it's temporarily out of stock (even though my order shipped today as I mentioned).

Anyways I'm placing an order for two more cards. This SanDisk Ultra II model is the high speed version BTW (I had previously received a regular-speed SanDisk 2GB SD card from Dell for $140-150, which I returned since I wanted to wait for the high speed version).

lapchinj
06-23-2005, 12:40 AM
You missed one:...
Hey Cool, designer SD cards 8).

Jeff-