View Full Version : Bluetooth GPS

orbs
06-21-2005, 04:57 AM
Hello. I am planning on buying a Dell Axim x50v, however before I do, I want to know what GPS system (both hardware and software) is a good buy.

I would like a bluetooth unit, although I have heard that the bluetooth units do not function well (for instance Dell no longer sells one, and instead sells a serial device).

What are your recommendations?

Thanks!
Jared

ADBrown
06-21-2005, 07:23 AM
I don't see why BT GPS units wouldn't work well. I'd bet that most people here will swear by them. I certainly do--I have the Dell branded model that they just discontinued. Works like a charm. I've also heard good things about the Belkin receiver, and anything using the Sirf Star 3 chipset.

For software, I use Mapopolis and TomTom Navigator at various times. Neither is entirely satisfactory--Mapopolis is great for road navigation and program interface, but the point-of-interest database was microscopic the last time I checked. Somebody please correct me if it's better now. TomTom has great points-of-interest databases. but the interface could be friendlier.

For the record, "points of interest" means gas stations, monuments, parks, hospitals, theaters, businesses, eateries, pretty much any location that you might want to find while on the road.

g0097
06-21-2005, 09:05 AM
I literally live and drive now by my bluetooth gps coupled with my imate jam...even using it to direct me to places I god everyday! I have a GlobalStat Bluetooth GPS receiver and use iGuidance as my GPS software. I am more than impressed witeh iGuidance and its feature-set...check out a full review by googling it if you want to find out more.

Sven Johannsen
06-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Same here. Don't know where the concerns you hear come from. Both my Socket and DeLorme BlueTrakker work fine. I tend to use Mapopolis when I want navigation. Pocket Streets, while not a great GPS companion still has a pretty good interface for finding POIs.