View Full Version : setting up wi-fi in a hotel room using PDA

gulo
06-20-2005, 03:05 AM
Hi
If hotel room has ethernet connection but no wi-fi, how can I create a wi-fi network for my Pocket pc?
I believe I could just plug something like aiport express in the wall and it will do the trick but the question is - doesnt it have to be configured using their software ? Of course I cant install any software on PDA, I can only access the browswer.
Has anyone done that?

Matilda444
06-20-2005, 02:21 PM
I have a NetGear Wireless Travel Router. I just plug it in to the Hotel system and I've got WiFi in my room! It may have required some initial setup via my laptop, but subsequent use has not.

gulo
06-20-2005, 03:14 PM
do you configure it just using the browser?

Matilda444
06-20-2005, 05:28 PM
do you configure it just using the browser?

If I recall correctly, yes. I remember it being much easier than I had anticipated.

Qooop
06-30-2005, 09:21 AM
I recently went on a trip and stayed at a hotel with ethernet. I took along my home Netgear wireless router. I plugged it in and turned on my computer and it automatically connected to the internet with no help from me. I did not have my PPC with me though, just a laptop.

disconnected
06-30-2005, 07:18 PM
I have an ASUS WL-330G Mobile Wireless Access Point from Newegg (65.00). You just plug it in and connect it to the hotel's ethernet. The PPC recognizes it automatically -- no configuration needed. I've used it in lots of Marriot Courtyards (I think they all have free ethernet).

Some hotel systems don't work because they have a popup screen to sign in, but that's a PIE problem.

Tanker Bob
07-02-2005, 04:39 AM
I use a D-Link WiFi Portable Router/Access Point on the road. It supports WPA-PSK very nicely. I preconfigured it at home from my PC and also saved the connection details on my X50v before using it in a hotel the first time. NetFront is usually able to access the hotel sign-on screens to activate the connection.

ctmagnus
07-03-2005, 02:33 AM
I don't usually use/recommend Apple products, but I've heard wonderful things about the Airport Express. Has anyone here used one with a Pocket PC?

Deemo
07-03-2005, 03:17 AM
I use a D-Link WiFi Portable Router/Access Point on the road. It supports WPA-PSK very nicely. I preconfigured it at home from my PC and also saved the connection details on my X50v before using it in a hotel the first time. NetFront is usually able to access the hotel sign-on screens to activate the connection.

Seemsa like Bob and I have other things in common besides poor software.

I too purchased the D-Link. I am still amazed by how tiny it is.
I can work as a WAP or even a router.

I haven't configured the WEP as I don't see a need to bother so I just leave it as default.

Here is a review:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1741098,00.asp

I will also use it in the house if I am running low on signal from my main access point.

Tanker Bob
07-03-2005, 12:48 PM

Seemsa like Bob and I have other things in common besides poor software.

I too purchased the D-Link. I am still amazed by how tiny it is.
I can work as a WAP or even a router.

I haven't configured the WEP as I don't see a need to bother so I just leave it as default.

Here is a review:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1741098,00.asp

I will also use it in the house if I am running low on signal from my main access point.
Interesting! BTW, do you have problems with the D-Link maintaining a constant signal lock? I find that it drops a lock every couple of minutes, which interrupts programs like AvantGo during downloads. It does the same with WEP or WPA.

Deemo
07-03-2005, 03:47 PM
I honestly don't use it that much to notice that detail.....mainly for email and some surfing.
The signal does pitch and wane a bit but you can expect only so much from something so small.
I don't have WEP or WPA configured which may be affecting your speed but I don't think the signal.
Try it with no encryption and see what happens.

ctmagnus
07-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Does the DLink use a web-based setup or a standalone single-platform executable to set it up?

Tanker Bob
07-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Does the DLink use a web-based setup or a standalone single-platform executable to set it up?
Yes, for the access point function. It has to be hardwired to configure the other functions. The function of the RJ45 connector port changes depending on the function switch setting.

xinjinqiao
07-15-2005, 02:23 AM
Hi,
Thanks for your post and your discussion! It is a question that I need to learn more about. I am a bit of a newbie re: networking. My needs are a bit "strange". I often travel by train in China to go to some remote places. I was toying with the idea of getting some technology that I could use with my notebook pc to make a network while on the train so that my friends could share resources - hey, 24 to 30 hours is a long time to spend in a box! I am going to get a gprs for my notebook and want to be able to talk to my pocket pc, my handheld pc and palm, as well as let other friends communicate also. Do you think bluetooth is a better choice than wireless nic? Wireless nics these days are much less expensive than bluetooth. How much electricity does a hub take?

Deemo
07-16-2005, 05:00 AM
The D-Link comes with a USB connector for that exact reason I think.
I would refer you to the manufacturer for more info.
Man....and when I read that in the user manual I thought..."why would anyone want to do that".
Goes to show....you never know...