View Full Version : A quick review of XnView 1.31

Menneisyys
06-18-2005, 02:01 PM
The new, 1.31 version of one of the most feature-rich, but, up until now, pretty sluggish and slow image viewer/adjuster/converter applications, XnView (see http://www.xnviewpocket.com/ ), has just been released. As it's a free app that still has one of the best batch conversion modes/support, I've spend some hours on comparing it to the previous version, of which you can find my review at http://winmobiletech.com/PICVIEWERS/#_Toc99100656 .

As has already been pointed out, the biggest problem with older versions (even with version 1.20) was its speed, mostly its inability to load existing thumbnails of images fast. Now, this problem is not existing any more - it's really fast at loading thumbnails! I haven't benchmarked it as yet (see the Standardized EXIF reading and compatibility test results ( http://winmobiletech.com/PICVIEWERS/#_Toc99100684 ) on this), but better late than never ;) At the first glance, though, its speed is now comparable to the best apps in this respect (Resco, Pocket Loupe, Pocket Phojo, Pocket Artist etc). I will publish quantitive results later.

The memory consumption has also been decreased a bit: version 1.20 took 1.509M, the new takes 1.455M. (It can be installed on flash cards/File Store).

It is also capable of IPTC editing, unlike with previous versions.

Unlike with version 1.20, the button-only control is reconfigurable (options are previous/next/zoom in/out, fullscreen) Please see http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40406 for a discussion on the importance of this feature.

As with 1.20, it supports image dithering, which is also a big plus compared to its alternatives. Also, the ability to quick delete images is great - this is much harder with most other image viewer apps (except for Pocket Loupe).

The problems:

As with the older version(s), in slideshow mode, it swaps images a bit uglier and slower than the other image viewer applications, mainly, Resco. Therefore, if you want to use this tool as an image slideshower app, compare it to Resco first. It also displays the clock upon reading larger images; however, with downscaled (the vast majority of images when using the PDA as an image wallet with previously downscaled images) ones, it doesn't, which is an advantage over other image slidesowing-capable apps like Fujitsu-Siemens Album.

Also, as was the case with previous versions too, it can't convert (adjust etc) 8+ Mpixel images at all (I've re-tested with Canon PowerShot Pro1 (8 Mp), Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n (14 Mp) and Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II (16 Mp) sample images), not even (automatically) resized, even when there're plenty of memory available (I've tested on a 128M RAM Pocket Loox 720 device with 90 Mbyte of free memory reserved for program memory). This is a big minus and should definitely be fixed. This program could be an excellent tool for serious digicam users for on-the-field conversions, image rotation (it supports, for example, losless image rotation - very few tools offer the same, except for, IIRC, the Pocket Artist 3.0, costing 50 bucks) because of its conversion capabilities, which also involve batch mode.

Also, zooming into large (8 Mp+) images, unlike with other programs, results in an error message and a gray screen – other programs are better in that they at least show a(n in most cases a bit pixelizated) image. This problem has also been present in previous versions.

As with previous versions, it only supports 4 JPEG image quality grades. All decent image editors have fine-tunable JPEG quality output settings.

BOTTOM LINE: for a free image viewer/adjuster/converter app, it's excellent. Its usability as an on-the-field adjuster/converter app is hampered by the fact that it isn't able to make use of the available RAM memory unlike its best (and costly) alternatives (most importantly, Pocket Artist 3.0 and the latest betas of Pocket Phojo 3.0), though.

I don't think these problems are hard to fix because it's clearly the memory usage restrictions that should be eliminated. Without them, the app would most probably be able to convert high(er)-end images as well.

JF in Detroit
06-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Thank you for this review. :D

Your statement: "Also, as was the case with previous versions too, it can't convert (adjust etc) 8+ Mpixel images at all ..." was very important to me.

John

lapchinj
06-21-2005, 05:10 PM
...it can't convert (adjust etc) 8+ Mpixel images at all
Is this because of the "memory usage restrictions"?
It seems from what your saying is that a majority of the issues are related to this.

Jeff

Menneisyys
06-21-2005, 05:30 PM
...it can't convert (adjust etc) 8+ Mpixel images at all
Is this because of the "memory usage restrictions"?
It seems from what your saying is that a majority of the issues are related to this.

Well, the zooming problem, yes. (Much as the authors could have gone the way other image viewers implemented - that is, just telling the user that they aren't able to read the image in full size and, therefore, read only a downscaled version to zoom into.)

The most important, memory handling-related bug I've mentioned that makes it impossible to adjust/zoom into 8+ MP images could be fixed with very little effort, I think, unless the data structures used by the application need to be modified. It seems the program just doesn't want to allocate the necessary memory for higher-megapixel images (its, as long as memory handling is concerned, better alternatives, for example, Pocket Artist, do), even if there's plenty of memory available. This can indeed be fixed easily.

I've e-mailed the developer about these problems (despite the French-only feedback form); hope they fix the problem soon, particularly now that a lot of new models are around 7 Mpixel - soon we will all have 8 Mpixel cameras in our pockets.

lapchinj
06-21-2005, 05:33 PM
I really like the interface a lot and it works just fine on my Dell x50v. Responce time even with the hourglass showing (less than a second) is fast.

Even though I use Pocket artist for working with graphics and resco for browsing them I like the interface to this for browsing better than the others (or should I say that it's a fresh look).

Jeff-

lapchinj
06-21-2005, 05:41 PM
...I've e-mailed the developer about these problems (despite the French-only feedback form); hope they fix the problem soon, particularly now that a lot of new models are around 7 Mpixel - soon we will all have 8 Mpixel cameras in our pockets.
Yeah even though I only need the basics from these application I think given some time it will also evolve into a nice piece of software. It shows a lot of potential and it seems that there are no show-stoppers just some growing pains and wrinkles. I would definately leave it on my PPC with the issues and watch it evolve. It looks like it will be nice.

I haven't looked at the feedback form yet but I think that would have to be on the top of the problem list. My French skills are far less than my graphics skills.

Jeff-

Menneisyys
06-21-2005, 08:14 PM
As promised, I've made some quantitive benchmarks and got excellent results.

With my updated EXIF thumbnail test, XnView 1.31 has beaten all the competition, even the superfast Pocket Phojo 3.0 Release 256. It loaded the EXIF thumbnails of 248 untouched digicam images from 51 different digicams (totalling 640 Mbytes) in 0:13 (Phojo in 0:15, PocketLoupe 1.71b and Resco 5.32 in 0:30 and the loser of the EXIF compatibility test, Spb Imageer 1.2, in about 2:00).

In the JPEG decoding test (reading this (http://img2.dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos1dsmkii_preview/originals/vb2c0009.jpg) 10Mbyte 16 Mpixel image - be warned, the link is a direct link! Do NOT click it unless you're REALLY sure!), running at constant 104 MHz (so that the results can be easily benchmarked, unless running the PDA at the default 520 MHz, where loading/rendering times are about 4 times less in general), it was able to render the image in 13 seconds, which is almost the same as with all programs that have the fastest JPEG decoding algorithm (Spb Imageer 1.2, Aidem Photo Explorer 2.01, Resco Picture Viewer 5.32, PDAMill Viewer).

It's worth stating that some well-known apps have much slower JPEG decoders:

Conduits Pocket Artist 3.0 (0:57)
PQV 3.0.10 (0:29)
Phojo 3.0 Release 256 (0:50)

and even the otherwise great PocketLoupe 1.71b spent 0:20 on rendering the image.

So, my first impressions, speed/performance-wise, are very good.

BTW, I've also scrutinized the newly released (13/06/2005 - now, CAB dates are checked, so, I won't make a mistake about release dates any more :) ) Resco 5.32. I'll post a quick review soon. It indeed has some improvements, unlike with the 5.10 -> 5.20 transition (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36467).

desertrat_blog
08-05-2005, 04:03 AM
I have set XnView to be associated with the appropriate image files, but when I click on an image file within a file manager, XnView just starts up and displays the contents of the directory in which the image file resides, instead of opening and displaying the image as I had expected.

Anyone know how to get XnView to behave properly?

-thanks