View Full Version : HP 6315 Re-Born

xizor24
06-17-2005, 05:11 PM
I'm very aware of the flaws in the HP 6315, but I am wondering how the re-released version of this hardware is?

For those who aren't aware, T-mobile completely pulled the 6315 from their shelves and halted any new purchases of the device. HP re-worked the 6315 and shipped new models out to T-mobile stores; these new "2nd edition" HP 6315's are available now.

Has anyone worked with one of these new 2nd edition phone/PDA's?
How extensively were they re-worked?
Are they worth buying now?

I would be interested in purchasing one of these devices if the extensive crappiness for which they are notorious for has been eradicated.

Kowalski
06-17-2005, 05:40 PM
apart from beeing a very unstable device, the form factor is very bad too. i am started to use the device one week ago, and i didnt like anything about the device. even if they work inside the device, they cant increase the performance and make the device smaller!

MitchellO
06-19-2005, 09:30 AM
It seems to be the consensus that the 6315 is a really poor device. Look at the XDA IIs/imate PDA2k, as it is a good device, that has everything the 6315 does, with a b/i kb, and 128Mb RAM!

Jon Westfall
06-19-2005, 02:06 PM
It seems to be the consensus that the 6315 is a really poor device. Look at the XDA IIs/imate PDA2k, as it is a good device, that has everything the 6315 does, with a b/i kb, and 128Mb RAM!

I really don't know about the whole "consensus" idea here. I suspect there are a lot of people that are using the 63xx series without a problem (why else would carriers like Cingular be releasing it as recently as last month?). Since we usually post on stuff when it annoys us rather than when we want to sing its praises, I'm willing to bet that there is a majority of users that enjoy using this device despite it's flaws.

For what it's worth, I've been using the 6315 (well, not the same one, various replacement ones :) ) for 10 months now as my "daily driver". That's a record for me, and I'd consider myself to be fairly hard to please with devices (after all, the previous record had been 5 months).

So long post short, I don't think the hatred of this device is as universal as some think.

Janak Parekh
06-19-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm very aware of the flaws in the HP 6315, but I am wondering how the re-released version of this hardware is?
To the best of my knowledge, the hardware is the same, but the ROM was updated to solve a lot of the small problems of the device. From what I've heard, the new ROM solved the immediate problems, so that the device is useable.

Do realize that the core specs of the unit will remain the same, though, so that if you need a faster PDA, etc., it might not be for you. The one good thing I've heard about it is that it has above-average battery life.

And, of course, you can always return it if you're not happy with it. Just make sure to use it extensively during the trial period.

--janak

MitchellO
06-23-2005, 05:18 AM

I really don't know about the whole "consensus" idea here. I suspect there are a lot of people that are using the 63xx series without a problem (why else would carriers like Cingular be releasing it as recently as last month?). Since we usually post on stuff when it annoys us rather than when we want to sing its praises, I'm willing to bet that there is a majority of users that enjoy using this device despite it's flaws.

For what it's worth, I've been using the 6315 (well, not the same one, various replacement ones :) ) for 10 months now as my "daily driver". That's a record for me, and I'd consider myself to be fairly hard to please with devices (after all, the previous record had been 5 months).

So long post short, I don't think the hatred of this device is as universal as some think.

Thats true. I supposes thats what these forums are for! Helping each other with problems, moreso than just saying "Hey, this works great!".

Glad you like you 6315.

Paladin27
06-27-2005, 02:22 AM
I've had my 6315 ever since it was released last fall, in fact I got it three days before release because a clueless CompUSA employee didn't know the street date and sold the box he had hiding behind the counter!

I love mine! I've heard all the stories on the various forums, and I had some of those issues. But honestly, once that patch came out around Valentines Day this year, it's been working wonderfully for me! Absolutely no complaints, and I LOVE the battery life, the way a PocketPC/Phone should be. I can practically go a week without charging it. That's even considering I use Wifi and Bluetooth with a Bluespoon AX and a Bluetooth GPS unit. All in all, for $450 and what the device can do, I'm VERY satisfied with the 6315 and wont' be changing anytime soon.

ketchup
07-05-2005, 08:54 PM
I've had my 6315 ever since it was released last fall, in fact I got it three days before release because a clueless CompUSA employee didn't know the street date and sold the box he had hiding behind the counter!

I love mine! I've heard all the stories on the various forums, and I had some of those issues. But honestly, once that patch came out around Valentines Day this year, it's been working wonderfully for me! Absolutely no complaints, and I LOVE the battery life, the way a PocketPC/Phone should be. I can practically go a week without charging it. That's even considering I use Wifi and Bluetooth with a Bluespoon AX and a Bluetooth GPS unit. All in all, for $450 and what the device can do, I'm VERY satisfied with the 6315 and wont' be changing anytime soon.

Agreed! I love mine. I have this puppy loaded up and I give it a workout constantly...data and voice. The patch worked as advertised. I reset it about once per week to keep things "fresh". Now I just need a larger memory card!

CrashX
07-16-2005, 04:00 PM
It seems to be the consensus that the 6315 is a really poor device.
I couldn't have said it better myself! (haven't I said that before? :D )

I've had my T-Mobile 6315 since October/November (can't remember which) and have never had a major problem with it. The only issue that I have experienced was a problem with the Bluetooth dial-up networking connection for my laptop, and that was easily resolved with the "hacked" Bluetooth patch that was floating around on pdaphonehome.com. The unit has been extremely stable, even without the updated ROM image from HP (and I still haven't update my device with it).

My Bluetooth headset works great with it, I never have an issue connecting to the internet via GPRS, and the Bluetooth modem capability has saved me on countless occasions. Overall, I couldn't be happier with the 6315.