View Full Version : Brighthand: Don't Expect Another "Summer of Pocket PC"

Janak Parekh
06-13-2005, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://brighthand.com/article/Won-t_Be_Another_Summer_of_PPC' target='_blank'>http://brighthand.com/article/Won-t...r_Summer_of_PPC</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A couple of years ago, with the introduction of Windows Mobile 2003 in the spring, the summer was an unusually busy time for Pocket PC releases. Some great models were released during that time, like the iPAQ h1940 and the Axim X3. It was so busy, in fact, that we declared it be the 'Summer of Pocket PC.'...Unfortunately, these were somewhat unusual situations, and it appears that this year we're reverting to normal."</i><br /><br />I agree with Ed that we probably won't see a lot of Pocket PC releases in the next month or two, but given the COMPUTEX announcements last week, the pipeline should be filling up shortly after that. In fact, PPCT-related news is slowing down... maybe because it's just too darn hot (it's supposed to hit 92F here in NYC today. 8O) Late summer/fall is when business typically picks up, and there are slated to be a bevy of new WM5 units then. But man, it's tough to wait in the meantime... I want an HTC Universal now!

del1313
06-13-2005, 05:27 PM
The wait for the HTC Universal is killing me too :( I just hope that Cingular and/or T-Mobile carry it in the US. The Universal and push email from our Exchange 2003 boxes will make me a very happy man!

signothefish
06-13-2005, 06:26 PM
This may very well be "The Summer (or Autumn) of Pocket PC phones", but surely not for stand-alone Pocket PCs. Although I understand Microsoft's motivation, it's sad for non-communicator Pocket PC enthusiasts that Microsoft has focused so heavily on integrating communication in this version of Windows Mobile. Manufacturers will follow, mostly with QVGA devices (particularly because of the smaller screens and faster performance). That spells disaster for any hopes of innovation in the VGA arena. Alas, guess I'll be sticking with my e800 for at least another year.

R K
06-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Hey let's stop complaining about the wait for the HTC Universal and go storm the gates at HTC. I'm sure we can (ahem) persuade them to give us a few prerelease units. Don't forget to bring your torches and pitch-forks now.

stevelam
06-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Hey let's stop complaining about the wait for the HTC Universal and go storm the gates at HTC. I'm sure we can (ahem) persuade them to give us a few prerelease units. Don't forget to bring your torches and pitch-forks now.

I'll bring the geeky glasses. Scare the hell out of them!!! :lol:

del1313
06-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Sounds like a plan! BETA UNITS FOR US!!

Jonathan1
06-13-2005, 07:11 PM
As long as I get my 2005 Upgrade sometime this summer I'm good. :)

ctitanic
06-13-2005, 07:43 PM

this summer is going to be an OS summer ;)
WM5 is going to bring many surprises from the point of view of Software compatibility (I'm just guessing ;))

surur
06-13-2005, 08:48 PM
I just bought my Loox 6 months ago. The wife would kill me if I dumped it for the MDA IV so soon. November 2005 is just perfect however.

I seriously don't know how they can improve on current units in any ground breaking way currently.

Maybe if they added a flip lid or something?

Surur

tobyrne
06-13-2005, 09:04 PM
Darn. I was really hoping to see a new line of iPAQs and AXIMs to get myself a cheap 2nd-hand WM2003 PDA off eBay .. Oh well, guess I'll have to wait a little onger for the best deals :wink:

Cheers ! :beer:

Janak Parekh
06-13-2005, 09:17 PM
This may very well be "The Summer (or Autumn) of Pocket PC phones", but surely not for stand-alone Pocket PCs. Although I understand Microsoft's motivation, it's sad for non-communicator Pocket PC enthusiasts that Microsoft has focused so heavily on integrating communication in this version of Windows Mobile. Manufacturers will follow, mostly with QVGA devices (particularly because of the smaller screens and faster performance). That spells disaster for any hopes of innovation in the VGA arena. Alas, guess I'll be sticking with my e800 for at least another year.
Well, let's see. COMPUTEX seemed to be geared towards communications devices. HP and Dell might still have some tricks up their sleeves. However, connected devices certainly seem to be the future.

And the HTC Universal is VGA, so there's also hope there. ;)

--janak

huangzhinong
06-13-2005, 10:31 PM

WM5 is going to bring many surprises from the point of view of Software compatibility (I'm just guessing ;))

I guess at least 60% apps won't run well in this new OS, esp those good freewares which may not get upgrade for the OS at all.

Well, after the release of WM5, I lost my interests to wait for it any more. I may get a WM5 devices later when I find all my apps can run well in this new operating system in the future.

Gerard
06-14-2005, 12:36 AM
The HTC is VGA, but the screen is too small for some sorts of application which could better take advantage of a minimum 4" screen. Graphics applications, most obviously Pocket Artist, suffer the most. Word processing and browsing next. These devices with 520MHz+ processors should be able to eliminate the necessity of notebook use for many types of users. Of course I appreciate that many manufacturers and certainly Microsoft don't want to see the WM class of devices cut into notebook and tablet sales... but their desires hardly concern me, an actual user of mobile devices. Sooner or later they'll have to fully enable mobile users in a vastly broader range of tasks, not merely paying token notice as they've seemingly tended towards.

A new version of PPC is needed. The hx4700 and e800/e830 show the way. Adding communications radios is fine, as is enhanced expansion such as USB hosting, Wireless USB, and retaining dual slots to allow cheap memory and accessory possibilities. Bring this up to 5" screens or even 6", toss in a quad-band GSM phone and 802.11b/g. Bluetooth - who cares, leave that for the SD or CF slot for those who want/need it. Introduce wicked recording support for a proper microphone jack. Keep it up with the trend towards expandable batteries, as many users want to charge only once in a while. Put a VoIP client, with video, into the OS - why not finally finish Microsoft Portrait from the China group and make it compatible with dialed phone numbers?

And yes, flip-lids or screens as on the HTC are a great thing, keepin the worries of accidentally pressed buttons and cracked screens to a minimum.

surur
06-14-2005, 01:59 AM
You mean like these?
http://www.ibsjapan.com/NTT/Docomo.htm

http://www.ibsjapan.com/NTT/Sigmarion.jpeg

Surur

Gerard
06-14-2005, 02:32 AM
no. Most definitely NOT like those. A keyboard like that miht suit my 11-year-old girl's tiny fingers, but I find my folding Belkin to be the bottom limit for cramped keys. Took me over two months to become comfortable touch typing on it, and it's still bothering me a little after 4. No, an HPC is a fine thing for some, but the combination of too big-ness for a pocket and too small-ness of the keyboard is just not what I'd call a proper handheld... for me. I tried a Chinese 'Book' brand sub-notebook a couple of months ago - a member of our PPC group had one - and did find it a delight to use... on a table. But aside from the initial attraction to what is apparently a small notebook, I'd really prefer a full-scale notebook if I were to need any such thing. As it is my one PC, a notebook, has not left the house in over 4 years. My PPC is with me almost always.

Darius Wey
06-14-2005, 02:36 AM
maybe because it's just too darn hot (it's supposed to hit 92F here in NYC today. 8O)

Only 92F?! ;)

On-topic, I do agree the wait is beginning to get a little long - and not just for the rollout of new devices, but updates as well. I'm interested to see who'll be first to the mark: Dell or HP?

Jonathan1
06-14-2005, 03:38 PM

Hey as long as my core apps like Pocket Informant, WISBAR Adv, E-Reader, Journal Bar, and Resco File Explorer work. I'm good. :) OK more like OK.....maybe so so.

I've come to terms with the death of WIFI syncing. I still think someone at MS has their head up their butt with that decision but that is a different discussion

stevelam
06-14-2005, 03:40 PM
minimum 4" screen

You do realise that it is a pocket pc!!!

Gerard
06-14-2005, 04:45 PM
A 5" screen could fit into the shell of a Toshiba e830, still leaving about a 1/8" border left/right and enough room above and below for buttons/speaker/etc. A very slight change in an hx4700 would allow the same. Both are perfectly pocketable at 4" screens. I realise that a 5" screen would cost more, but surely not more than an extra $50 at the consumer end. The extra real estate would make graphics editing and viewing a lot better, including popular applications like GPS navigation. And at about 5" VGA would make sense in all applications without need for choosing larger font/zoom options - something users of current 3.5" VGA displays must mess with a lot.

stevelam
06-14-2005, 04:56 PM
And at about 5" VGA would make sense in all applications without need for choosing larger font/zoom options - something users of current 3.5" VGA displays must mess with a lot.

They do thats where ive been going wrong all of these years.

Darius Wey
06-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Hey as long as my core apps like Pocket Informant, WISBAR Adv, E-Reader, Journal Bar, and Resco File Explorer work. I'm good. :) OK more like OK.....maybe so so.

I've only tested a WM5 build of PI2005 and Resco in WM5 and I can confirm they work. WA2's WM5 compatibility will be coming soon. Naturally, you can expect wide support for the new platform in coming months. It'd be questionable if a high-level software company didn't offer support though.

Don't Panic!
06-14-2005, 10:41 PM
I think the manufacturers are trying to eliminate the geeks who would proudly wear their devices in a belt holster. Actually I have no opinion on this thread topic although I think Dell is going to surprise everyone again this summer.