View Full Version : Axim X50v, SMT5600 SmartPhone, and 1 login?

egads
06-13-2005, 04:55 PM
I currently have a Axim X50v and I'm thinking of getting a Audiovox SMT5600 SmartPhone. Can I sync both of them with my Outlook/AcvtiveSync? If the SMT5600 works out, I'll stop using the X50v, but I will more than likely like to use both of them for awhile.

Thanks...

Janak Parekh
06-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Yes, ActiveSync supports multiple devices. Just be careful -- you want to avoid editing items on both devices at the same time.

Interestingly, I've found that my Smartphone (Samsung i600) is a more useful PIM for me, so I've tweaked my ActiveSync settings whereby my i600 gets all the PIM items, and the e805 gets the file sync (Pocket Word, Pocket Excel, etc.)

--janak

egads
06-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Yes, ActiveSync supports multiple devices. Just be careful -- you want to avoid editing items on both devices at the same time.

Interestingly, I've found that my Smartphone (Samsung i600) is a more useful PIM for me, so I've tweaked my ActiveSync settings whereby my i600 gets all the PIM items, and the e805 gets the file sync (Pocket Word, Pocket Excel, etc.)

--janak

I'd love to get a i600, but I've not seen a version that supports GSM. I'm a clam shell type of guy and the only clam shell out there that I know of is the Moto MPx220. I've heard that people have had MANY problems with their MPx220's and not to buy one. Every one seems to love the SMT5600. It's not a clam shell, but it looks like its about my only SmartPhone option (in the USA that is) right now.

Sven Johannsen
06-13-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm not sure anyone is selling the MPX220 at this time anyway. I have one and had no problems with it save two. I couldn't get it to work with my car handsfree set, and I couldn't get it to work as a modem for my X50v. I have since picked up a SMT5600, and that doesn't work with my car handsfree either, but I did get it to work as a modem. They both work fine with BT headsets, just not my car kit.

I'm really more of a candy bar guy than a clamshell so I like the SMT better to start with. The MPX is actually pretty big compared with the SMT, but that has some advantages. I think there is a limit to how small you can make a phone and it still be comfortable to use. The MPX actually wasn't bad and I kind of appreciated the keys being covered when closed. The SMT you have to manually lock the keys if you want them not to be pushed by accident, which means you have to unlock them to use the phone.

In any case, the SMT, is a good companion to my X50v. There is only so much you can get on a Smartphone and have it usable as well. I have a lot of PDF and Repligo stuff on my X50, and while readers exist for the Smartphone...think about it. Do you want to read a tech document on a 2" screen? Using the SMT as a modem for my X50 also makes web work more palatable if I want to do more than just look up an address or a flight schedule.

I think you will find that you will have occasions that you can get by with just the phone and it is very convenient. There will be other times when the PPC will be better, or a combo would be fine.

One thing to note is that you can only sync your Outlook Inbox with one device. Choose wisely :) About everything else can be sync'd with both. Money is another thing that is monogamous.

Janak Parekh
06-14-2005, 04:20 AM
I'd love to get a i600, but I've not seen a version that supports GSM.
Maybe, but the battery is middling and there's no Bluetooth -- the unit's a bit dated. Admittedly, the formfactor is decent.

I'm a clam shell type of guy and the only clam shell out there that I know of is the Moto MPx220. I've heard that people have had MANY problems with their MPx220's and not to buy one. Every one seems to love the SMT5600. It's not a clam shell, but it looks like its about my only SmartPhone option (in the USA that is) right now.
Actually, I believe the latest MPx220 ROM fixes most of the problems people had with the device, but Smartphone Thoughts is the place to ask around about that. ;) The SMT5600 is certainly the hot Smartphone right now, but I like the flip a lot too -- especially for answering/hanging up, and no keylock.

--janak