View Full Version : Strange Occurance (Pocket DivX Encoder)

Sydney Bristow
06-12-2005, 04:52 PM
I had several .avi of almost exactly identical lengths, and used the exact setting (12 video, 6 audio) on all of the conversions using Pocket DivX Encoder. They always turned out to be similar in file sizes and quality.

However, one of them ended up with much smaller file size (despite the estimated file size stated on Pocket DivX Encoder, which was the same as the rest of them). Curious as to whether something had gone wrong, I played it, and surprisingly, it was of much higher quality than the others.

This was very strange, but very good, in my opinion, and would love to make it happen again. I tried conversion on the said file again to see if it was a temporary error, but found that the result was the same.

Why is it that this only works on that single file, while the others come out normally (larger file size and lower quality than the said file)? If possible, I would love to make it happen again! :mrgreen:

P.S: I'm sorry if this is a silly question; I'm not all too knowledgeable about video files. Thank you!

SteveHoward999
07-03-2005, 05:06 PM
The output file size estimate is just that - an estimate. Actual output size depends on the source file quality and content. If your movie has lots of flat colour, like say a 2D cartoon, then I would expect it to encode to a smaller file than, say, a natire program that has lots of pictures of moving trees, running animals etc... There is less detail to compress in the cartoon.