View Full Version : help ---> it takes forever to launch apps after...

ipaq_wannabe
06-10-2005, 11:35 AM
i was wondering if someone can help me with this recent problem ive been experiencing - it takes forever to launch applications (all i get is the "hourglass") on my X50V whenever i dont use my device for about an hour or so...

to explain, i use my device to take down notes, etc. etc. then say, i have some other work to do, and thus put down my PPC... an hour or so later, i pick it up, and try to launch say Pocket Excel, or say, the built-in Notes... and it takes FOREVER!!!

i wouldnt say that some of the apps are in the external card, because, well Pocket Excel is NOT in there... 'here's hoping that someone can somehow shed light on the problem...

thanks!!!

Ward
06-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Whats your ROM version? (Settings>>System>>System Information)

How do you organise your applications? Do you install most things to the CF card or SD? What today plugins do you have? Does the behaviour persist after a soft reset? Tried a hard reset and reinstall everything?

surur
06-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Another possibility is that automatic processor throttling is setting your PDA too slow (underclocking it). Put it on normal or turbo, and see what the response times are like.

Surur

ipaq_wannabe
06-10-2005, 12:39 PM
thanks for the reply...

anyways, since im having a japanese version, i only have ROM A01...

most of my apps are in BIS except for PlanMaker and TextMaker which are in SD (along with My Documents for all the files that i work with)...

yes, i also have Today plugins - UpTime and PocketPlus... which, of course are installed in MAIN memory (btw, after a soft reset i have 46 MB in Program Memory left)...

the funny thing though is that when i do a soft reset, things go back to normal. but of course, it wouldnt be practical to soft rest all the time. also, you dont know when to reset...

- (at) Axim x50v

ipaq_wannabe
06-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Another possibility is that automatic processor throttling is setting your PDA too slow (underclocking it). Put it on normal or turbo, and see what the response times are like. Surur

okay, ill give this a try...

but the question remains - why so? surely, some other people would be experiencing the same thing, right?

PocketPC Addict
06-10-2005, 02:31 PM
I wonder if you are simply running out of memory. Are you using any task managers or anything to close programs you aren't using?

PocketPC Addict
06-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Oh, another thing your post reminds me of is the other thing to look for is the possibility of a memory leak in one of your programs. It sounds exactly like a leak situation where a program trickle/eats memory very slowly until you are down to nothing - it can happen over varying periods of time - minutes, hours, days...

The way to isolate is to test. Soft reset your device, and run ONE of the programs and leave it sit for an hour...come back. Does the cursor spin? If not, soft reset and try the next program, etc. Could be you just need to patch something.. :)

ipaq_wannabe
06-10-2005, 03:11 PM
I wonder if you are simply running out of memory. Are you using any task managers or anything to close programs you aren't using?

how could that it? i have optimized by PPC to the point that at least 40MB of program memory left in MAIN memory...

also, im sort of a minimalist - and the only task manager im using is the one that comes with PocketPlus...

ipaq_wannabe
06-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Another possibility is that automatic processor throttling is setting your PDA too slow (underclocking it). Put it on normal or turbo, and see what the response times are like.

Surur

i tried this by having the speed at the NORMAL setting of 520MHz - yes, the problem still persist...

and im really running out of ideas - just resorting to the fact that this isyan inherent bug in WindowsMobile that wouldnt be fixed, at least in the near future

surur
06-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Final solution is backup, hard reset, and the install one app at a time, and see how it goes.

Ive not heard that this is normal behavior at all.

Surur

ipaq_wannabe
06-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Final solution is backup, hard reset, and the install one app at a time, and see how it goes.

Ive not heard that this is normal behavior at all.

Surur

Surur...

And that is what Im going to do right now - I took out my Excel sheet (wherein i Recorded all my apps and serial numbers), and prepare to deck out the midnight oil...

:(

Patrick Y.
06-12-2005, 02:51 AM
You know, I have the same problem some times. Though, the problem on my Pocket PC never persisted. Maybe you should do a little "housekeeping" and see what happens. My Pocket PC always gets crabby if I don't clean it once in a while. I use "CheckNotification", "SKtools", and "PocketMEchanic" for regular maintainance.

ipaq_wannabe
06-12-2005, 01:52 PM
You know, I have the same problem some times. Though, the problem on my Pocket PC never persisted. Maybe you should do a little "housekeeping" and see what happens. My Pocket PC always gets crabby if I don't clean it once in a while. I use "CheckNotification", "SKtools", and "PocketMEchanic" for regular maintainance.

i use MemMaid, and PocketMechanic for my regular housekeeping - actually TOO much since i do it QUITE several times a day...

however the problem was just there...

anyway, i have finished "recreating" my PPC from scratch... so far so good...