View Full Version : Newbie needs help with mail

jlemon
06-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Hi all, I just got an iPAQ 4350 and after some trial and error I managed to get connected through my wireless router. I can get on msn messenger and the internet but I can't seem to get my mail to work. My POP3 account on my desktop computer is through Comcast and I set it up on the iPAQ the same way but I don't receive any messeges and everything I try to send just goes to the outbox. I open the messege in the outbox and try to send it but it just stays there unless I sync it with outlook on my desktop. Can anyone here give me some pointers? VERY detailed pointers? Thanks to all in advance.

Menneisyys
06-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Hi all, I just got an iPAQ 4350 and after some trial and error I managed to get connected through my wireless router. I can get on msn messenger and the internet but I can't seem to get my mail to work. My POP3 account on my desktop computer is through Comcast and I set it up on the iPAQ the same way but I don't receive any messeges and everything I try to send just goes to the outbox. I open the messege in the outbox and try to send it but it just stays there unless I sync it with outlook on my desktop. Can anyone here give me some pointers? VERY detailed pointers? Thanks to all in advance.

Welcome to the board :)

First question: so, you have set up a "real" POP3 account on your PDA, and not just synchronizing your mail?

Furthermore, when you try to download mail via your wireless connection (assuming your account is POP3), do you get any error message?

jlemon
06-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Yes I set up a real POP3 account, and no I don't get any error messages.. Everything works fine on it but the mail.

kellybelly
06-11-2005, 12:47 AM
[...] but I don't receive any messeges and everything I try to send just goes to the outbox. I open the messege in the outbox and try to send it but it just stays there unless I sync it with outlook on my desktop.
Once you hit Send the email is supposed to sit in the Outbox. It says there until you Send/Receive email. You can do this by clicking on the icon at the bottom of the mail application -- it looks like two envelopes.

If you don't have the preferences set up to check for new mail every x-minutes (somewhere under the Account set up menu), you will need to click that icon every time you want to check for new mail.

jlemon
06-11-2005, 03:05 AM
I set it up to check for mail every 2 minutes but nothing ever happens.

jlemon
06-11-2005, 01:51 PM
When I click the send/receive it says logging on for about 2 minutes then it pops up a box that says cannot connect with current connection settings.

Menneisyys
06-11-2005, 03:00 PM
When I click the send/receive it says logging on for about 2 minutes then it pops up a box that says cannot connect with current connection settings.

It's quite possible you've given your mail account a connection to use belonging to 'Work', while your Wi-Fi (and also Pocket Internet Explorer / MSN Messenger) uses The Internet. This is why the latter applications work, while the former don't.

You need to do the following:

- choose Accounts/Account and choose one of your e-maila ccounts.
- press Next 4 times until it changes to Finish. Click Options over it.
- on the next screen (Options (1/3)), click the Connection drop-down list and choose The Internet if it reads Work.
- press Next 2 times and then, Finish

Let me know what happens.