View Full Version : The Gadgeteer Reviews the LOOX 720

Jonathon Watkins
06-07-2005, 10:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/fujitsu-siemens-pocket-loox-720-ppc-review.html' target='_blank'>http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/fujits...ppc-review.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"When Windows Mobile 2003 SE came out with VGA I thought it was time to take another look at PPC. The popular VGA PPC units hit just a little off-target for me, though. The iPAQ HX4700 and Toshiba e805 were a bit big, but with ok battery life. The Dell X50v and Asus A730w were pleasingly svelte, but reportedly had poor battery life. . . . The Pocket LOOX 720 is a VGA PPC that shares features with the other VGA units – dual expansion, dual wireless, (relatively) ample memory. However, it does this while being on a par with the little guys for size, and packing a whopping 1600mAh battery to go toe to toe with the big guys for battery life. Heck, those crazy FSC engineers even wedged a 1.3 mega pixel camera and consumer IR into this thing."</i><br /><br />It seems that yet another reviewer has been overcome by the ample charms of the LOOX 720. Jay from the Gadgeteer switched from a HP Jornada 420 to a Sony CLIÉ TG50 and has now switched back to the LOOX 720. He's produced a comprehensive review with plenty of pictures and suffice to say, he seems to like the device. Just one question: is calling the LOOX 720 The "Honda Accord" of PPCs a compliment or an insult? ;-)

superfaron
06-07-2005, 03:43 PM
I am telling you guys, the LOOX 720 is the most awesome PPC on the market! I don't know about the "Honda Accord" comment; I would say it is the &lt;insert your favorite car here> of PDAs.

surur
06-07-2005, 04:53 PM
I guess he means it not flashy, but very capable, and gets the job done. I would compare this the the HP 4705, which would probably be a Bentley (large, expensive, fast on the straight, but a poor car to go to the hardware store with), the Dell x50v would be a boy racer of some kind (cheap, fun, but with poor fuel economy and few frills) and the Asus would definitely be a Ferrari (fast, but with very poor fuel economy, and a very impractical vehicle).

Anyone feel free to add your car/PPC analogies :lol:

Surur

superfaron
06-07-2005, 06:13 PM
The thing is, the LOOX 720 comes with every feature offered except for gsm and gps, both of which are easily added on via bluetooth (I have done both). It is the closest thing to a total package available in a ppc.

Menneisyys
06-07-2005, 06:24 PM
I guess he means it not flashy, but very capable, and gets the job done. I would compare this the the HP 4705, which would probably be a Bentley (large, expensive, fast on the straight, but a poor car to go to the hardware store with), the Dell x50v would be a boy racer of some kind (cheap, fun, but with poor fuel economy and few frills) and the Asus would definitely be a Ferrari (fast, but with very poor fuel economy, and a very impractical vehicle).

Anyone feel free to add your car/PPC analogies :lol:

Surur

Great analogies, congrats :) I've bookmarked this thread so that I can link if from other generic "which VGA for me?" threads :)

ADBrown
06-07-2005, 06:41 PM
The thing is, the LOOX 720 comes with every feature offered except for gsm and gps, both of which are easily added on via bluetooth (I have done both). It is the closest thing to a total package available in a ppc.

Actually, it doesn't come with a video/3D accelerator, 128 MB ROM, a 624 MHz processor, VGA out... :twisted:

Jonathon Watkins
06-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Actually, it doesn't come with a video/3D accelerator, 128 MB ROM, a 624 MHz processor, VGA out... :twisted:

Very true, which is why I got an X50v, but I still like Surur's similes. 8)

superfaron
06-07-2005, 09:51 PM

Point taken. However:

a. Every program I have ever ran on the LOOX 720 is smooth; why do I need the video/3D accelerator? Wouldn't it just shorten the battery life?

b. 128 MB RAM (with 5 GB on sd and microdrive, who needs excess ROM? - and there's no need to mention WM 2005, b/c I already know that the LOOX 720 will support it and there will be an available upgrade)

c. Easily overclocks to 624 (even though it isn't needed); battery life is MUCH better than on the Axim; I suspect that FS was thinking specifically about power conservation

d. You got me on VGA out. However, does the Dell have consumer IR or a USB host port? (I have actually been considering buying a cf card for vga out)

e. I would put my LOOX 720 running Betaplayer against your Dell anyday. I know that it is better than the iPAQ 4700, because I had one. :mrgreen:

surur
06-07-2005, 10:57 PM
I have the Loox, but I would certainly recommend the Dell x50v to people who are:

a)price sensitive
b)specifically want to use it as a video player
c)are gamers

All the machines have areas were they excel at. The Loox is just the most well balanced of the lot.

Surur

superfaron
06-07-2005, 11:03 PM
I have the Loox, but I would certainly recommend the Dell x50v to people who are:

a)price sensitive
b)specifically want to use it as a video player
c)are gamers

All the machines have areas were they excel at. The Loox is just the most well balanced of the lot.

Surur

Why would you recommend the Dell for those who want a video player? I use Betaplayer on my LOOX 720, and I don't know how anything could be better. I admit that I have not used the Dell...is it faster or sharper or what? Again, with the poor battery life, it would need to be WAY better to justify the shorter play time (what good is watching a movie if the device quits before the movie is over?). :?:

surur
06-07-2005, 11:37 PM
The Dell is a very good video player, due to the graphics accelerator. It takes the load of the processor, allowing the playback of desktop quality encoded video. Also Ive experienced on the loox a reduction in data streaming over WIFI while the processor is being taxed playing back video, requiring repeated buffering every few minutes in Betaplayer. Apparently on the Dell this is not a problem. Also the graphics chip allows the Dell to be down-clocked to e.g. 208 MHz and still pay video full speed, saving battery.

So yes, the Dell could do with better battery life, but its still a very good video solution.

Surur

ADBrown
06-08-2005, 08:40 AM
a. Every program I have ever ran on the LOOX 720 is smooth; why do I need the video/3D accelerator? Wouldn't it just shorten the battery life?

Actually, it's supposed to take less battery power than a processor performing the same functions. And in any event, it's the same as on a desktop--3D acceleration for advanced games and apps that couldn't be run in purely software. Plus, as Surur pointed out, the video chip provides full video decoding without swamping the CPU.

b. 128 MB RAM (with 5 GB on sd and microdrive, who needs excess ROM? - and there's no need to mention WM 2005, b/c I already know that the LOOX 720 will support it and there will be an available upgrade)

Obviously WM5 does need to be mentioned--when you upgrade, your storage memory will be moved into ROM rather than RAM, in which case the more ROM the better. Your 128 MB of RAM will be used solely for program memory. And in any event, ROM is non-volatile memory, so you don't have to backup programs installed there.

d. You got me on VGA out. However, does the Dell have consumer IR or a USB host port? (I have actually been considering buying a cf card for vga out)

Actually, yes, my Axim does have CIR. It doesn't have USB Host, but I really don't need or want that--just as you don't seem to want or need a video chip.

Not wanting to start another Axim versus Loox thread, my general point is this--it's inaccurate to say that one model has all the available features. Good for you if you enjoy your Loox. I like my Axim. It's what works for us--live and let live.

Menneisyys
06-08-2005, 08:46 AM
(I have actually been considering buying a cf card for vga out)

Bweare of all CF VGA cards: you won't be able to play VGA videos through them. They are only useful as slideshow etc. clients. This also applies to the Toshiba e800.

If you want to play high-quality (read: not just QVGA or even worse) videos from a PDA on an external VGA monitor, the x50v is the only solution.

superfaron
06-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Obviously WM5 does need to be mentioned--when you upgrade, your storage memory will be moved into ROM rather than RAM, in which case the more ROM the better. Your 128 MB of RAM will be used solely for program memory. And in any event, ROM is non-volatile memory, so you don't have to backup programs installed there.

I install 99% of my programs in the already non-volatile storage card memory. The only programs I ever store on the device are the very few that are required to be, therefore the ROM issue is unimportant to me. That is why I said WM5 is irrelevant to my point (I am aware of the memory handling changes).

Actually, yes, my Axim does have CIR. It doesn't have USB Host, but I really don't need or want that--just as you don't seem to want or need a video chip.

No, the Dell does not have CIR (Consumer Infrared). See this link: http://www.firstloox.org/VGAppc.htm.

Good for you if you enjoy your Loox. I like my Axim. It's what works for us--live and let live.

Agreed.

superfaron
06-08-2005, 02:40 PM
And please do not misunderstand my original point: I have nothing against the Dell; I've never owned one. I am simply defending my precious LOOX. I started my portion of this thread simply by stating my opinion that the LOOX 720 is the best ppc I have ever used. If you use a Dell, more power to you (just don't tell me you are a Palm user - we PPCers have got to stick together!). :mrgreen:

superfaron
06-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention the LOOX 720's dedicated VOIP speaker.

ADBrown
06-08-2005, 08:52 PM
I install 99% of my programs in the already non-volatile storage card memory. The only programs I ever store on the device are the very few that are required to be, therefore the ROM issue is unimportant to me. That is why I said WM5 is irrelevant to my point (I am aware of the memory handling changes).

Even so, the ROM will be where Windows and My Documents files are stored, making it still important even if you install primarily to storage cards.

No, the Dell does not have CIR (Consumer Infrared). See this link: http://www.firstloox.org/VGAppc.htm.

Actually, that comparison is inaccurate in several details. Specifically, the X50s do have CIR--it's listed in the official Dell spec sheets, and I've tested it personally. The confusion is mainly caused because Dell refers to the infrared port as being "IrDA standard 1.2," which leads people to believe that that's all there is to it. I can show you the PowerPoint slides, if you like.

And I forgot to mention the Axim's wired and wireless headset support, also ideal for VoIP. :devilboy:

superfaron
06-08-2005, 09:02 PM
And I forgot to mention the Axim's wired and wireless headset support, also ideal for VoIP.

The LOOX 720 has that as well (at least if you have the bluetooth stack that I have) :devilboy: