View Full Version : Reinstalling OS on Pocket PC

yelp666
06-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Hi all,

I want to format my Pocket PC, and install a newer Windows version. Is that at all possible? If so, how do I do it?

Where can I get Windows Pocket PC, different versions?

Any help is appreciated

Menneisyys
06-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Hi all,

I want to format my Pocket PC, and install a newer Windows version. Is that at all possible? If so, how do I do it?

Where can I get Windows Pocket PC, different versions?

Any help is appreciated

First, which model do you have? Very few PPC models have major operating system upgrades. (Mostly bugfix) ROM upgrades, however, are worth installing and are in abundance.

yelp666
06-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Is it at all possible to force hard drive formating and then installing once again brand new OS?

Mitchybums
06-06-2005, 01:18 PM
The closest you can get to reinstalling an OS is to do a hard-reset.

Some companies do offer "upgrades" to newer windows mobile versions, but it's not too common. Those upgrades basicaly contain a new rom-image and put in a new OS in your device. Have a look on the website of your brand to see if they offer (some free, but usualy for a fee) an upgrade now or in the near future.

Darius Wey
06-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Is it at all possible to force hard drive formating and then installing once again brand new OS?

You can only flash your Pocket PC with a device-specific ROM. If you let us know which Pocket PC you have, we'll be able to give you a better assessment of what's available.

In short, you'll only be able to upgrade to the latest operating system if the vendor releases it specifically for your device.

yelp666
06-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Ok, so here's my situation. I bought T-Mobila MDA 1 from eBay. The thing is, the operating system is in German and that's not my strongest point. So, I'd like to reinstall it to English version of OS. Is that possible?

Thanks a lot for all the replies

Menneisyys
06-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Ok, so here's my situation. I bought T-Mobila MDA 1 from eBay. The thing is, the operating system is in German and that's not my strongest point. So, I'd like to reinstall it to English version of OS. Is that possible?

It is. Please read atomicskate's excellent tutorial at http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=218 .

surur
06-06-2005, 04:30 PM
The XDA family is really the best supported series of handhelds in the world. They have moved the XDA 1 over at least 3 OS updates. They have helped preserve the investment people have made in their devices and and made a lie of the statement that the hardware cant support this. They deserve a lot of respect.

Surur

yelp666
06-06-2005, 05:08 PM
All the posts on the link provided are old. And I'm a little scared I'll screw up my new toy. Is there anything 100% sure that will work? I've upgraded my XDA to Windows 2003. And right now I'm a little confused. All these rom upgrades or other methods scare me :). Is there any good solid manuals / solutions for my problem.

Thanks in advance

yankeejeep
06-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Well, first of all, your device does not have a hard drive. It has ROM (where the OS image is stored and where you may also have a small user-accessible area to store items that will not be lost in the event of a hard reset) and it has RAM (where applications load and execute and also the default application and document storage location). Any time it is possible to upgrade your device to a newer OS version, this is done through reflashing your ROM. You want to make sure you only use a ROM version that the manufacturer has released for your model. And normally these ROM updates will come with a text file that you can print out that will walk you through the process. Since each manufacturer tends to have their own particular manner of getting to the ROM reflash, you will want to follow the instructions provided by yours. There should be instructions in the same support area of their web site where you have located the ROM image(s) for your XDA. You may also find a FAQ section that will answer some of your questions.

Menneisyys
06-06-2005, 05:35 PM
All the posts on the link provided are old. And I'm a little scared I'll screw up my new toy. Is there anything 100% sure that will work? I've upgraded my XDA to Windows 2003. And right now I'm a little confused. All these rom upgrades or other methods scare me :). Is there any good solid manuals / solutions for my problem.

There're tons of language change-related threads over at xda-developers.com; I've only copied the link of the best of them here. You may also want to use the forum search engine ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/search.php ) with the search expression "language change" in the Wallaby category. Make sure you check in the "Search for all terms" radio button.

yelp666
06-06-2005, 07:44 PM
I've done it !!

All workse beautifully. I've used

***URL Removed by mod SJC***

This works amazing. You can select all the components you want to install. It's just great!

Thanks a lot for all the replies guys. You've all helped a lot, I really appreciete it.