View Full Version : New to pdas! What to get...

lordv2500
06-06-2005, 08:10 AM
I'm going to begin my service in the army this september and thought that bringing a pda with me would be a good idea. I'm not sure how often I'm going to get to go home and I want to be able to access the internet on the go. I have gprs with orange il, so from what I understand I need the pda to have bluetooth to connect to my sony ericsson t630 cellphone, I would also prefer that it have wifi but that's not a necessity since there aren't all that many hotspots in Israel and I don't plan to visit hotels and cafes just to access the internet. Basically, I'm going to be using the pda for entertainment and the internet. I want to be able to watch videos, listen to mp3s, play games and run emulators for the gameboy and snes at full speed(if at all possible). I'm not concerned about size but cost is an issue. Good battery life is also plus. I know that's alot to ask of a pda but hopefully there are some that meet my requirements. What would you recommend I buy?

I'm leaning to the Axim X50V right now...
But I'm not sure whether I need a vga screen or not. My main concern about the x50v is that games that don't use the graphics acccelarator won't run at full speed because they need to be streched accross the screen. Can you change the resolution on a vga ppc to fix this problem, will it really affect the speed all that much as I've read in reviews?
I've been told that you can even run ps1 games on the x30. At a playable fps?
Will I still be able to run newer game console emulators on the x50v or will the vga resolution require too much processing power to handle graphic intensive emulation, perhaps it's still too early to go vga?
Is the Axim X50V more future proof than the X30?

surur
06-06-2005, 10:05 AM
I cant answer you game related questions, but an Axim x50v with an extended battery would certainly future proof you. As you know it has a graphics accelerator, and the next OS (WM 5.0) will have a version of DirectX built-in, taking advantage of this. This means some very nice games in the future, which you will not be able to play well on an x30. Also I don't think the x30 will get the new OS, whereas the x50v definitely will.

So, thinking forward over the next year, the X50v is definitely the better choice.

Surur

Menneisyys
06-06-2005, 03:32 PM
I agree with Surur. The x50v is definitely a better buy. The x30, for example, won't get the WM5 upgrade.