View Full Version : Appilcation Registration system?

GSmith
06-02-2005, 11:24 PM
What are a developer's options for creating a registration system within a .NET Compact Framework application? I'm tempted to stay on the honor system, but I don't really know how much stealing is going on.

I want to provide a demo version that can be unlocked with a unique code and I want the customers to *easily* retrieve a lost registration code.

Are there host services that provide this for the small developer, or do I have to write my own? Doesn't almost every commercial developer run into this situation? Where do they hang out and what third party services do they (you?) use?

shaxs
06-11-2005, 02:24 AM
Hello,

Im in the middle of developing a Pocket Pc porgram (in fact my press release should be out soon). The way my registration works, is upon checkout a serial code is generated and added to an online database. When the program is installed and run from the PPC, it requires them to be connected to the internet and validates the serial code with the online database. If for some reason the database is down ect, they still can use the program for 30 days will all features enabled. So, that give them plenty of time to try to re-register it.

If they have forgotten their registration code, they can go to our web site and login using their email address and password and it will show all license(s).

As a developer (I am the idea guy, I have to pay other people to develop for me), I am glad to help out where I can. So, I hope this was of some use to you :)

Kowalski
06-11-2005, 08:29 AM
hey, this idea is a good one for a registration system.
i wrote a web service for registration purposes but the user has to register in order to start working. 30 days trial and web access are good ideas

vrda
09-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi

all registration ideas here are good, but what if your 30 day trial version will
be cracked and extended to infinite-day trial :-))

Our application calculates unique id from pocketPC's hardware and
presents a user with his code. The user should send a code to us and we will
generate his key (it's generated by php online script).
In unregistered version gameplay is time-limited.
It all sounds nice, but one day some russian guy made a crack and
all you can do to fight a crack is to publish a new, feature-added version.....

So, any registration model is good, at least until cracked :)

shaxs
09-17-2006, 04:21 AM
This is true and this is just the nature of the beast.

However, we have created this system and if anyone is interested, please let me know.