View Full Version : how do you jot down stuff?

cdavis
06-01-2005, 03:12 AM
hey guys

I am wondering how you all take notes.

what do you use if you have to quickly jot down a phone number,name, or directions? Do you use the built in notes application? I have found that is not exactly the easiest thing to do because of the way it names each notes file.

just wondering...

Sven Johannsen
06-01-2005, 04:38 AM
I just use the built in notes app, and leave the jot as ink. You can go back later and change the name. (Tap and hold, rename) You are kind of stuck with having to name the note yourself, or depending on the handwriting recognition to accurately translate your first line into something recognizable. Either way takes time, or thought (making the first line useful).

Darius Wey
06-01-2005, 05:01 AM
I use PhatPad most of the time, but sometimes I forget it's even installed, in which case I use Notes instead. I'm in the same boat as Sven. I'll come back later and rename it if I have to. :)

Phillip Dyson
06-01-2005, 05:13 AM
I use PhatNotes but i'm continually tempted to purchase phatpad.

I also use voice notes now that I have a great program called AudioNote (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=1863).

Ripper014
06-01-2005, 05:26 AM
Phatpad... I have it on the main menu for easy access. If it is something important then it gets transfered to PIM or where it needs to go later.

jimski
06-01-2005, 06:33 AM
I just select Fusion Alarm Note (Agenda Fusion) which is included on my New Menu. Two taps and I am writing a note. When I am done I can set a reminder or just save it as it is. This tool eliminates the need to me to ever access the built-in Notes app.

G M Fude
06-01-2005, 08:03 AM
For brief stuff like phone numbers and names, I use CalcNote (http://inesoft.com/eng/index.php?in=calcnote) for its sheer speed and accessibility.

For longer stuff... well, I usually seem to be at my desk and I grab an A4 note pad. Eeeewww... poor old forests....

And for directions, eh, I just get the address and let Destinator do all the work!

Tye
06-02-2005, 06:51 AM
I just select Fusion Alarm Note (Agenda Fusion) which is included on my New Menu. Two taps and I am writing a note. When I am done I can set a reminder or just save it as it is. This tool eliminates the need to me to ever access the built-in Notes app.

I use a similar idea; just connect one of the WisBar Advance buttons to PI's "Create Alarm Note."
I like this method better than the New button because the New menu is not available in as many apps as the taskbar. Also, it only takes one tap.
Also, because it is an alarm note I can easily set up a reminder for the note later in the day. It's great if I'm looking at other info on the phone and need to jot down something.

Phillip Dyson
06-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Using Vito's Button mapper I have Phatnotes assigned button 2 and PI tasks is press and hold.

My voice recorder is button 5 (above my jog wheel)

Dave Beauvais
06-03-2005, 03:02 AM
I use PhatPad every single day. I haven't used paper for jotting down notes in meetings in over a year. I have it assigned to the Inbox/Messaging hardware button so it's quick and easy to bring up the app from anywhere. With the auto-scroll feature added in v2 and the desktop app, I can even print my written notes if I need to share them with coworkers who couldn't attend the meeting. I set the default note page size to "Letter" and start writing!

humayunl
06-03-2005, 12:40 PM
I used to use the built in notes proggy... it was too long a procedure to qualify as "quick jotting" (even when it was on the menu).. plus i hate the default 'ink' quality and pen response.

Then i started using Phatpad.. the ink response is flawless and I use it a LOT for longer notes. However quickly jotting down a phone number ot something would still require me to launch phatpad who's slight launching delay is long enough for me.. thats why i said that phatpad is only for longer notes that do not necessarity have be written down quickly.

The absolutely best, super fast method, one that really qualifies for QUIXKLY JOTTING DOWN stuff, is QuickNotes Today. What makes it very fast is that its a today screen plugin, meaning its always on your today screen.. (you can chose to put it on a pocketbreeze tab too). Its accessible in no time, and you can jot stuff on the tody screen...

i have yet to find a better alternative than this for quickly jotting down notes.

I only wish that the pen response and quality was as nice as phatpad.... does anyone know if phatware plan to create a today plugin for phatpad? it would be awesome!

buzzard
06-03-2005, 07:25 PM
I use apMemo 1.0 http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/apmemo.shtml because it's free, but a lot depends on how you take notes. I usually jot down a couple of words to use as a reminder and then set an alarm for later. If I forget about the note, the alarm will remind me and I'll do whatever I wrote on the note. There is a $14 version also available but it doesn't offer me anything better than the free one.

If you want to write a note and have it converted to text, ApMemo doesn't do that.

Kowalski
06-03-2005, 09:28 PM
phatpad is the best note taking software i have ever used.
it has a desktop companion which is very usefull for me.
i have tried lots of alternatives and right now i am heavly using phatnotes and phatpad

Lex
06-04-2005, 12:16 PM
If you use 'drawing' mode in any app so that you can write freehand notes (including Agenda Fusion or Pocket Informant, built-in notes app, etc.) you'll need to watch out for your writing 'scrambling' occasionally if you've had to scroll down during writing. You don't lose anything you wrote but on scroll up the marks you made (writing) can jumble up and make what you wrote no longer readable. Several software developers have stated this is an OS fault.

For me, nothing beats paper for speed and accuracy on live phone call notes. I use apMemo+ (free) if I only need one screen's space.