View Full Version : Technorexia

tigerhunter
05-31-2005, 08:27 PM
I want to propose to this community the term "Technorexia" to describe a common disorder characterized by the erroneous perception that the technology that we own and manage is not enough, and more is needed. So, how many of us in here may be suffering from this malady?

Jason Dunn
05-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Heh. :lol: A very interesting post! I agree, it's something that many of us obsess over. Myself, I keep telling my wife "This is the last thing I'll need for a quite a while..." then I find myself thinking "Hmm, my Dell 20" LCDs are nice, but gee, look at those awesome 24" widescreens!" I think I need help. :worried:

PDANEWBIE
06-01-2005, 06:37 PM
I just got a 27" LCD TV for the bedroom and I keep wanting to spirit it back to the Office for me to hook it up to my PC but the wife gives me the evil eye. I think I qualify!

Patrick Y.
06-02-2005, 03:45 AM
I think I suffer from this disease too. :lol: When I first got my n10, I kept telling myself that this is the best thing I'd ever got. Though, now I REALLY want replace it with x50v . :?

Dalantech
06-02-2005, 08:00 AM
"Hi. My name is Dalantech and I'm a technoholic"...

newst
06-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Think again, Grasshopper.

It's not Paranoia if people are really out to get you. By the same token, it's not Technorexia if the technology you own (or covet) really isn't enough to satisfy your needs.

Remember, high tech isn't about what you actually need (we could all go back to living under more primitive conditions, but few folks outside the Amish actually try it.) it's about what we want. It's not a disease, it's a life style choice. We don't need new words to describe the phenomena. The proper terms, lust and greed, have been around since biblical times.

Lest you develop the opinion that I somehow object to the avaricious acquisition of new toys, let me admit that I own an Hx4700 and a Toshiba M205 Tablet PC, and have a new Motion LE1600 Tablet on order. I will not deny my lust for toys, or pretend to excuse it by catagorizing it as a disease. Rather I will revel in my ability to support jobs for underpaid Asian workers. This is America after all.

tigerhunter
06-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Newst, we are all in here to satisfy our technolust. The term "technorexia" was intended merely as a joke. Don't take it seriously.

Patrick Y.
06-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Newst, we are all in here to satisfy our technolust. The term "technorexia" was intended merely as a joke. Don't take it seriously.

A fun joke! :beer: :P :rotfl:

55Kevy
06-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Newst, is your avatar truly a prairie dog with a bazooka and helmet? heh heh heh....

newst
06-03-2005, 02:04 PM

And there is some reason you felt that my rant was actually serious? I should have added a smilie or two I guess.

newst
06-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Newst, is your avatar truly a prairie dog with a bazooka and helmet? heh heh heh....

You've got it. Alvin there brings the 'Army of One' concept to a whole new level.

While he may not pack a massive ordnance load he's easy to train, eager to learn, works for peanuts and can infiltrate just about anywhere.

He threatens the kneecaps of the enemies of America wherever they choose to hide.

tigerhunter
06-03-2005, 04:15 PM

I have not noticed it until now... that's hysterical...