View Full Version : PPC Software for Accountants?

chefz
05-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey everyone -

I'm just ending my first quarter of a graduate accounting program, and wondered if there were any PPC resources or software for accountants? I don't really mean like the Quickbooks or Spb Finance type programs, but more like actual FASB (Financial Accounting Standards Board) standards, GAAP guidelines, anything like that? Has anyone ever seen anything like that? FASB puts out a CD for students but it's horribly put-together and not user-friendly at all. :roll:

Just think it would be handy! I wish I were more of a programmer and could come up with neat new programs!
Chefz :lol:

shawnc
05-27-2005, 12:03 AM
Unfortunately I've been unsuccessfully searching for this type of software for close to 4 years now. I don't think it exists.

chefz
05-28-2005, 02:57 AM
Darn! That would have been so useful! I tried downloading the PDF forms to my storage card and reading them with Adobe Acrobat Reader, but that was too clumsy for a quick and easy way to search and read GAAP. Interesting, accountants as a whole I haven't read too much from on the various PPC forums I visit, when it comes to occupations I've really only noticed threads for healthcare or legal professionals. :lol:

shawnc
05-28-2005, 02:18 PM
I agree that not many accountants seem to own PPC's. I've said this before, that maybe 5 or 6 years ago when Palm Pilots seemed to be taking off, it was kind of the "in" thing to be seen with one. PPC's were just gaining a foothold and I saw quite a few of my peers carrying them. Unlike the Palm crowd, what attracted accountants was the Excel/Word "supposed" functionality. It was at that point that MS had a window of opportunity to really expand the market for these devices beyond the typical techies and executives. But they blew it by virtually crippling both Word and Excel. Once accountants (at least those that I know) realized just how useless pocket excel (and don't get me started on pocket word) really was, they quickly lost interest. It is that crowd that has moved on and will likely never come back.

edgardner
05-30-2005, 01:42 AM
I'm not sure if this would violate any rules - but, the FASB has the standards on the web site now. One could print them to repligo documents and search individually.

Certainly a little involved, but one could pick and choose the standards.

:)