View Full Version : Real Time Spectrum Analysis

martin_ayton
05-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Some considerable time back I asked if anyone had heard of any software which would provide me with a basic sound pressure reading using my PPC's built-in mic. Several people made suggestions, but all of them required extra, plug-in equipment and didn't really do what I needed.

The reason I want this is that I dabble with a bit of mixing / sound engineering in my spare time and I need something to help me ensure that in my enthusiasm to create 'atmosphere' I'm not nailing the audience / congregation to the rear wall of the auditorium with the sheer volume.

I'm really pleased to report that 4Pockets http://www.4pockets.com have a cool piece of software called PocketRTA which turns my PPC into a real-time spectrum analyser using the built-in mic. At present, I'm only running the demo which shuts down after 60 seconds, but it looks very cool indeed: the GUI is clear and the whole thing is easy to configure. (I'd add a picture here, but I don't know how to grab images from my PPC screen, sorry). The sample / response rate is fast enough that I will be able to use it to help me isolate and eliminate annoying rings and howls that take my uneducated ear too long to find.

If this operates at the sound desk as well as it does at my stereo, I will be a paid up registrant by this time next week!

Does anyone else have any experience of this app.? Are there any other PPC-toting sound guys or girls out there who would like to try it? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

PS. The demo at least cannot be installed directly to the PPC: you have to install it to your PC first and then, from the start menu, install it onto the PPC.[/url]

Menneisyys
05-27-2005, 01:27 PM
I've also quick tested the app and founs it very cool. Incidentally, you can find out more on sound-related PPC programs (especally on Handheld Audio Spectrum Analyzer (HASA) ) at http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15628 .

martin_ayton
05-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks Meneisyys :) . I followed the link you provided, unfortunately, the link from there to the HASA now leads to a list of PPC strip poker games 8O , which isn't really what I was looking for. No matter, Google turned it up pretty quickly once I had the name. I'll try HASA out too, but I'm a bit concerned about the lack of development - no updates since 2002! - I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Menneisyys
05-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks Meneisyys :) . I followed the link you provided, unfortunately, the link from there to the HASA now leads to a list of PPC strip poker games 8O

Thanks for the followup; the problem has been caused by the Snitz engine over at PPCMag (the URL ends at (HASA) and it was ignored by the engine's auto-URL-decoder algorithm). I've corrected the error over at PCMag.