View Full Version : ATI Aims to Accelerate Mobile Gaming on Imageon-Powered Mobile Devices

Darius Wey
05-26-2005, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://apps.ati.com/ir/PressReleaseText.asp?compid=105421&releaseID=711641' target='_blank'>http://apps.ati.com/ir/PressRelease...eleaseID=711641</a><br /><br /></div><i>"As the leader in discrete PC graphics, ATI Technologies Inc., (TSX:ATY)(NASDAQ:ATYT) is reinventing the handheld 3D gaming market to provide customers the visual experience they enjoy with ATI's PC and console products. With the Imageon 3D technology, developers can leverage hardware acceleration to create powerful gaming experiences for handheld users. As the opportunities in the handheld space continue to inspire developers and content creators, ATI is working closely with key industry partners to provide the hardware and technology expertise to meet the demands of customers, OEMs, wireless carriers and games. ATI's development partners include: Climax/THQ, Emdigo, Fathammer, HI Corp, JAMDAT Studio, Reakosys, Square Enix and Superscape."</i><br /><br />It appears as though <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,40240">NVIDIA</a> aren't the only ones pushing for a new mobile gaming experience. ATI are also taking the plunge by linking with key partners to help create a new gaming experience on Imageon-powered mobile devices. Since the release of Windows Mobile 5.0, there have been a flurry of announcements concerning improved graphics and gaming. At the end of the day, it'll be the consumers that benefit, and I can't wait to see what lies ahead in the future of mobile gaming, especially with the expectation that new GPU-accelerated Pocket PCs and new Direct3D Mobile-supported games will be released.

yanathin
05-26-2005, 08:55 PM
Seems like the true potential of the hx4705 is slowly being revealed. At first since the device was so new, there were many things that brought it down, mainly compatibility. Now that there are TONS of VGA apps available, it's becoming more and more versitile. Now, not only will it be supported by HP by supplying a WM5 upgrade, but the Direct3D is going to work very nicely with the ATi chip inside. It's great that ATi is supporting their chip, despite the fact that there currently aren't many PDAs with it.

hoodmeister
05-26-2005, 11:44 PM
It's of little direct use to me, since I use an X59v, but it's interesting to see that Square are looking into PPC gaming \0/

Darius Wey
05-27-2005, 12:35 AM
Seems like the true potential of the hx4705 is slowly being revealed. At first since the device was so new, there were many things that brought it down, mainly compatibility. Now that there are TONS of VGA apps available, it's becoming more and more versitile. Now, not only will it be supported by HP by supplying a WM5 upgrade, but the Direct3D is going to work very nicely with the ATi chip inside. It's great that ATi is supporting their chip, despite the fact that there currently aren't many PDAs with it.

I actually think we'll see Imageon shine in future Pocket PCs. While the hx4700 has a nice Imageon chip inside, it's far from a beast, so the true potential of the Imageon technology has still yet to be seen. :)

zetsurin
05-27-2005, 01:27 AM
I wonder how much longer it will be until we have fans humming in our pocket devices :?

ChristopherTD
05-27-2005, 07:36 AM
But are these "development partners" working with ATI for mobile applications, or are they just listed in the press release because they work with ATI in general?

Just curious!

hidefguy
05-27-2005, 05:24 PM

The hx4700/4705 uses the imageon 3220 which only has 2D hardware acceleration - the chip ATI is currently pushing (such as in the LG SV360) is the 2300 which has hardware 2D/3D acceleration. If you use Mobile D3D in an app on the hx4700 it's going to be software rendered (and slow).