View Full Version : bluetooth headset for Skype and Mp3?

cyj
05-26-2005, 04:38 AM
I'm confused over bluetooth headsets and PPCs.

I have an iPaq 5555 and I would like to get a bluetooth headset so I can use Skype and also use it to listen to Mp3s. Concerning Mp3s, I don't listen to music so sound quality is not really, really crucial.

Any experience? Recommendations?

Dalantech
05-26-2005, 11:27 AM
First: Your iPaq would have to be BlueTooth 1.2 compliant for stereo headphones -and I don't think it is.

Second: The sound quality of HP's BlueTooth stereo headphones is excellent, and I have no problems listening to MP3s, watching movies, or streaming audio from the Internet via WiFi. The trick is to start the WiFi connection first, then the BlueTooth headphones. The only thing I can't do is watch a video stream via WiFi -looks like a slide show unless I use corded headphones :(

cyj
05-28-2005, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I actually don't have any interest in stereo headphones, though. I'm looking for a single-speaker option in one ear. But I would also like to be able to use Skype's VOIP on my ipaq. So I'm wondering if there's a bluetooth headset that would work for both. I'm confused because it doen't seem like there's a clear answer to bluetooth headsets compatible with pocket pc.

Sven Johannsen
05-30-2005, 04:09 AM
If you are just looking for a headset, you can easily check your PPC capability. Open up BT manager, click new and see if Hands-free/Headset is one of the options of things to connect to. If it is, then you can do what you want with any BT headset designed for phones, like the Jabra or the ones motorola is pushing. You will not be impressed by the sound quality for MP3 music. I haven't tried it for something like a recorded webcast, which is what I assume you are looking for. These work just fine with something like Skype.

cyj
05-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Thanks, Sven. What made me cautious is that I saw some postings that warned about compatibility problems and mentioned iPaqs, but didn't give details.

I just got a response from Bluespoon saying that the AX was okay for my usage, but I would have to manually turn up the volume before using it. With my infrequent use of Skype to initiate calls, that is no problem.

As far as Mp3s, I turn a large number of text documents into Mp3s and use my PPC to review them, which is great. But the cord has gotten to be a real hassle. After looking around, I thought the Bluespoon AX would be a good choice.

Any experience with AX, anybody?

Sven Johannsen
05-30-2005, 10:12 PM
What made me cautious is that I saw some postings that warned about compatibility problems and mentioned iPaqs, but didn't give details.
The issue was that across the spectrum of iPAQs you had some that had the headset profile in the manager, some that had it on the machine but it didn't show in the manager without a registry hack, and some that flat didn't support it. I thought the 5555 was one that had it up front, but wasn't sure, and it seems hard to find a list of what BT profiles are supported by most any product. They all just say they support BT. If the headset profile shows up as one you can select with the wizard, you shouldn't have any problem getting sound in and out. YMMV on other features.

cyj
05-30-2005, 11:33 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention I did find it in the wizard. And I think I'll take the plunge. I think I'll get more use concerning mp3s. And I'm hoping the headset will eliminate the feedback or echo that I get when using Skype.

Thanks.

Sven Johannsen
05-31-2005, 02:33 AM
And I'm hoping the headset will eliminate the feedback or echo that I get when using Skype.

It will absolutely do that. Even just using a pair of earphones and the built in mic improves the quality amazingly. Note the other end will be better off doing likewise.