View Full Version : Problem with emulator for ppc 2003

Kami
05-25-2005, 05:51 AM
I have a problem that I need some help solving. I'm sure it's something very simple, but any insight would be very helpful.

I'm starting to experiment with PPC development using VS.NET 2003. On my desktop (Pentium 4) everything works great. The emulator fires up and I can test my applications without any problems. However, when I transfer the code onto my laptop (AMD64), the emulator will not run. An error pops out which says "One or more files from the Emulator for Windows CE installation is missing. Please reinstall Emulator for Windows CE and try again."

I assume the emulator is installed along with the PPC 2003 SDK, which I have re-installed, but it did not fix the problem.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any tips?

Darius Wey
05-25-2005, 05:55 AM
As far as I'm aware, you can't do a simple "copy" of files over and expect an emulator to fully function. After all, it is embedded in the VS and SDK files. If you want to use a standalone emulator, then this link (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40030) may be of interest to you. It'll simplify testing a lot! :)

Kami
05-25-2005, 06:04 AM
I was curious if it had something to do with the original creation of the program, so I tried creating a new project on my laptop using a different language (my first attempt was in VB.NET, the second was with C#) with no change. Although I would rather use the emulator within VS.NET, I'll definately try the emulator you suggested.

Thanks for the advice!

Darius Wey
05-25-2005, 06:11 AM
Oops. I just reread your earlier post and noticed a personal case of misinterpretation. I thought you copied over the "emulator code" instead of your "project code". :lol:

Anyway, I'm not sure why it isn't working on your AMD64. Theoretically it should, but there may be some limiting factor that I'm certainly not aware of. At any rate, the standalone emulator will work great, as long as you compile the program.

manywhere
05-25-2005, 09:39 AM
It might be that your emulator has lost a part, namely the Virtual PC Application services. I have also experienced it (http://www.filips.net/archives/2005/04/26/hallelujah-the-pocket-pc-emulator-is-alive-again) and the workaround is the following:
Workaround: Go to “Device Manager” (Right-click on “My Computer”, select Properties->Hardware and press the “Device Manager” button) and check whether “Virtual PC Application Services” is installed under the System Devices group. If the driver is not installed, install it by running “\CompactFrameworkSDK\ConnectionManager\Bin\DriverInstall\Smart Devices Emulator.msi”.
It worked for me, so I expect that it will do the same for you too. ;)

(Unless, of course, there is some strange problem running the emulator on 64-bit processors... :? )

Kami
05-27-2005, 04:54 AM
It might be that your emulator has lost a part, namely the Virtual PC Application services. I have also experienced it (http://www.filips.net/archives/2005/04/26/hallelujah-the-pocket-pc-emulator-is-alive-again) and the workaround is the following:
Workaround: Go to “Device Manager” (Right-click on “My Computer”, select Properties->Hardware and press the “Device Manager” button) and check whether “Virtual PC Application Services” is installed under the System Devices group. If the driver is not installed, install it by running “\CompactFrameworkSDK\ConnectionManager\Bin\DriverInstall\Smart Devices Emulator.msi”.
It worked for me, so I expect that it will do the same for you too. ;)

(Unless, of course, there is some strange problem running the emulator on 64-bit processors... :? )

Thanks for the advise. Unfortunately it didn't work. I did some more research and it appears that the error I'm getting is related to the 64-bit proc.

The Virtual PC App Service was disabled (manually) because it was coming up with an error that stated that it would cause windows to become unstable. Re-enabling the service brought back the same problem. I researched that problem, and it said that to fix it, I had to disable the physical memory extension in boot.ini. PME was never enabled, and should be unavailable with 64-bit procs anyway.

I was a little suspicious that the problem was related to the processor, and I guess this backs it up. I guess no one has any other tips for me? :)

wesley
06-10-2005, 03:57 AM
Just to add my input... I use Athlon64 with Windows XP x64 (64-bit edition) and am experiencing the same problem.

The problem for me, as far as I can see, is related to the 64-bit Windows not being able to load 32-bit drivers. Platform Manager 4.0, which manages and runs the emulator, must be installing 32-bit drivers in order to function correctly. This is likely because an emulated device would still be recognized as a deivce and a device needs a driver to function.

So the solution would be to either install a plain 32-bit Windows, or have a Platform Manager or equivalent that can run under 64-bit environment.

I'm looking at the option of getting this 'Microsoft Device Emulator 1.0' that comes with VS2005 Beta 2 or in standalone form. If this runs in 64-bit Windows (I vaguely remember seeing VS2005 having support for 64-bit Windows somewhere) then maybe the problem is solved. Microsoft's page says it ran fine with eVC++4, which I'm currently using to develop the apps.