View Full Version : How do you remove your Microdrive?

jimski
05-21-2005, 06:17 AM
So I took the plunge today and picked up a Hiatachi 4GB Microdrive for my hx4705. Pretty amazing little piece of technology. Maps (900MB), videos (800MB) and Lexipedia (230MB) and still more than 2GB of free space.

On occasion I may want to pull this data vault out of my CF slot for another CF card or CF device. Or loading large files through a CF card reader is MUCH faster than through the PPC. So like how do you do it. The Microdrive fills the whole slot and it has smooth edges (no little lip like most CF cards). So far I have resorted to using a paper clip 8O and more effectively a pair of those IC chip tweezers (which worked rather nicely). I will not need to do this often but would like to know the trick if there is one.

So how do you remove your Microdrive from your CF slot?

MitchellO
05-21-2005, 06:23 AM
I had a microdrive for my h2210 for all of a day (it was a dud, had to return it) and I used pliers to remove it. Its so snug!!!

I'd love to have a 4GB card for my Mini. My 1Gb card has 32mb space free :cry:

kao123
05-21-2005, 06:37 AM
I had the exact same question about a year ago, and the solution is not even remotley technical... just put a small piece of tape on the top of the microdrive, so when you want to remove it from the CF slot just pull the tape, it works like a little tab :D

SteveHoward999
05-21-2005, 07:16 AM
My Toshiba PDAs have always had a little 'plunger' that you press to push out the CF card, same as the little lever you press on a laptop to extract PCMCIA cards. Sounds like whoever made your PDA didn't think of that. How very odd!!!

jickbahtech
05-21-2005, 07:28 AM
didnt somone braid a harness out of floss or kite string or something so there would be a little tail to pull the drive out?

I can't remember where I saw that, I just remember it wrapped around the drive under the notches by the pin connectors.

Steven Cedrone
05-21-2005, 02:22 PM
The tape trick kao123 mentioned is what I used to use. Worked every time!

Don't Panic!
05-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Another tape user here. Just be sure you don't cover the hole on the back where it says do not seal this hole.

Janak Parekh
05-21-2005, 06:35 PM
I had a microdrive for my h2210 for all of a day (it was a dud, had to return it) and I used pliers to remove it. Its so snug!!!
You have to be very careful with pliers. A few people have ruined their Microdrives with pliers.

I don't know about the latest 4GB units, but the original 1GB unit had a tiny little lip that, if you hooked just right, would provide enough leverage to pull out the Microdrive. It's a shame that HP never bothers to put an eject lever on their CF slots.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
05-22-2005, 05:03 AM
Post it flags. Those things that you use to stick to a document that show people who make a whole lot more than you do where to sign, work pretty well.

jimski
05-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks to all for the advice. The tape/Post It Flag ideas sound simple enough (why didn't I think of that). Guess I can tuck the flag part down in between the CF Drive and the SD card and pull out when I need it.

Yes, an eject button would have been a nice idea indeed. The 4GB drive has no ridge on the back so there is really no place to grab hold without some type of assist. I moved 900MB of maps over to the drive today (eliminating another CF card) thus removing my need to pop the microdrive out so often, and I still have 2.2GB of free space.