View Full Version : What to do if 470x ROM upgrade appears to fail

btorbik
05-20-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm posting this in case anyone experiences an issue updating their 470x ROM, and because of the excellent advice I was given by "ninja1" on Brighthand's forum.

During the install process, the ROM installer resets the 4700 into bootloader mode: the screen backlight goes off, and there is some lettering that basically says HP and a progress bar. The indicator lights will also shut down, and ActiveSync doesn't appear to be engaged.

Here's my environment:

Active Sync 4.0 - appears very stable and no issues so far
iPAQ 4705 - 128MB RAM (upgrade by PPC Techs). Full battery.

Installed from IBM ThinkPad running Windows 2000 SP2.

1. I ensured that I was installing ROM 1.10 by confirming that I had SP29841.exe

2. After the first failure, I rebooted my TP and shut down all programs. It was plugged into AC power, and my 470x was cradled to ensure a continuous power source. Previously, I'd tried to use a sync cable.

3. I then followed ninja1's advice (above) and reconnected the 470x to my TP and started the upgrade process again. I did this by reinstalling the ROM update on my TP - uncompressing the file, etc. - and letting it find and analyze the ROM on the 470x. You may see a "??" for current ROM version. Don't worry about it, as it's in boot mode.

4. You'll then be prompted to continue, and should select "Next" or whatever language version you're using.

5. To my surprise, the upgrade kicked off again, and slowly went from "0.1%), to "1.0%", to "1.1%", etc. It got as far as ~ 70.0%, and I got the same "Error 606" that you mentioned.

6. I then did a hard reset of the 470x (to no apparent effect, as it was still in Boot mode) and rebooted my TP. I then reconnect the 470x, restarted the SP29841 install process again, let it find my 470x and analyze it, and the process then kicked off again. This time, it installed a bit faster and completed without any errors.

7. I did a soft reset of the 470x and it came up without any issues. I confirmed it was the correct version by checking Windows Media Player and confirming that it was WMP 10. It was, and I've had no issues with the upgrade.

8. I've been reinstalling my programs and where possible, am putting them all in the iPAQ "File Store".

I hope this helps.

Bernie