View Full Version : WM 5 - Persistant Storage

tut00
05-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Hi all,

I have a quick question??? I have a HP iPaq hx2415 which is going to be able to get the upgrade to WM 5 when ever HP gets around to finishing it...

But being that I have only 64 MB of Rom and you will not be able to store anything in RAM anymore, I'm not sure if 64mb is enough. I now have my CF card filled with apps, and I know they will not all fit in the 64mb.

So getting to my question... Does anyone know if we will still be able to install to the cards or will it only be in the ROM?? If its only in the ROM, i'm not sure its worth it for me to upgrade when it becomes availabe.

Just currious.

Thanks in adance.

-John

Kowalski
05-19-2005, 10:27 PM
i am totally sure that you will be able to install application to storage cards as you do now. MS doesnt want you to loose your applications, data and system configuration information in case of power failure.That is why the ram will be used for program execution.

On the other hand i hope that someone will make a utility so that some part of ram will be used as ramdisk. This way we will be able to install some applicatons to ram because the fastest storage card is even slower than ram. i want my device to wake up as soon as i hit the power button :!:

Sven Johannsen
05-20-2005, 03:20 AM
i want my device to wake up as soon as i hit the power button :!:

I don't think that is going to change, nor the possibility of installing to cards. The memory system is that which has been in vogue for smartphones for some time. They come out of standby quickly. I am also able to load apps to my mini-SD. The nice thing is when I let the phone drain completely, I don't need to re-install everything when I get it charged back up. Everything is just how I left it. :)

humayunl
05-20-2005, 08:08 AM
I was just thinking about this today as well... All my programs (minus today plugins) are installed on SD.

Now with persistent storage, assuming my TOTAL installed programs are less than 64 MB (which they aren't) is there any advantage or disadvantage of installing them on the device VS the SD card? (lets ignore speed because i hardly notice any speed difference since I moved all proggies to SD).

Dalantech
05-20-2005, 08:50 AM
I have a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II SD card for my iPaq hx2410 and I can do a full backup in about 2 minutes to that card. The same backup to the file store (internal ROM) on the hx2410 takes about 3 minutes...