View Full Version : Wifi WPA Questions

jbachandouris
05-17-2005, 09:35 PM
I realize the patch for XP to use WPA came out in 2003, but I have just heard about it and when I try to download the patch, it says it only works with SP1. Does that mean SP2 has it built in? (I'm sure it doesn't)

So how can I lock down my wifi tighter than with WEP?

Darius Wey
05-18-2005, 04:14 AM
I realize the patch for XP to use WPA came out in 2003, but I have just heard about it and when I try to download the patch, it says it only works with SP1. Does that mean SP2 has it built in? (I'm sure it doesn't) So how can I lock down my wifi tighter than with WEP?

Windows XP SP2 has WPA support.

jbachandouris
05-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Thanks. I have enabled it. So...WPA is supposed to be more 'secure' than WEP? I had WEP w/128 bit encryption and the 'code' to enter the network was a lon list of numbers and letters. My WPA password is not as complex.

So how is WPA more secure?

Darius Wey
05-18-2005, 01:43 PM
There are a number of things such as TKIP and MIC enhancements in WPA that WEP otherwise lacks. I've been cursed before for talking non-stop about WPA's benefits over WEP, so if you want a quick summary that's easy to understand, then Wikipedia may help you out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

jbachandouris
05-18-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm using TKIP.