View Full Version : ROM Update For iMate PDA2K

Ed Hansberry
05-18-2005, 10:00 AM
<a href="http://www.clubimate.com">http://www.clubimate.com</a><br /><br /><i>"The 1.40 ROM build provides some significant improvements in the multimedia capability of the device including Windows Media Player 10 and further media formats available as ringtones. The build also has as new Bluetooth, WiFi and GSM radio stacks. Further GSM audio enhancements are currently under development and expected to be available on this page later in May."</i><br /><br />Many of the "known issues" that have been on the iMate page are still there. The pending May and June fixes may be a new ROM or a RAM update that requires this ROM. We won't know until they are released. I haven't installed it yet.

Rob Borek
05-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Some known issues:
1. Camera program doesn't return screen to normal backlighting when you exit
2. Exiting Media Player while it is playing something will freeze up all sound activity (ie no sound at all) until you perform a soft reset
3. GPRS seems to have difficulty reconnecting after you use WiFi or cradle the device - a soft reset fixes this.

DaleReeck
05-18-2005, 02:41 PM
2. Exiting Media Player while it is playing something will freeze up all sound activity (ie no sound at all) until you perform a soft reset

In regards to #2, well, like the old doctor joke goes, don't do that then! :D

Rob Borek
05-18-2005, 02:46 PM

In regards to #2, well, like the old doctor joke goes, don't do that then! :D

Yeah... it's not a major issue, and apparently if you did it in previous versions the particular sound you were playing would stay playing until you performed a soft reset (but I never tried it in older versions - I use my iPod to listen to music)

Paragon
05-18-2005, 03:16 PM
It does include Skype in ROM now, and WMP10 as well.

Dave

Jason Lee
05-18-2005, 03:22 PM
cool, wonder how long it will take for cingular to get this ready for my sx66?
Probably 3 or 4 months... if ever. :(

maximus
05-18-2005, 03:44 PM
hrm. I went to myxda.com, and they dont even have a download section. very bad.

KTamas
05-18-2005, 04:29 PM
hrm. I went to myxda.com, and they dont even have a download section. very bad.
The magic word: xda-developers.com :)

ricksfiona
05-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Does the ROM update solve the weak Bluethooth performance?

Ed Hansberry
05-18-2005, 07:55 PM
3. GPRS seems to have difficulty reconnecting after you use WiFi or cradle the device - a soft reset fixes this.
What in the world? This works just fine with the current ROM. Fix one thing, break three??? :roll:

Rob Borek
05-18-2005, 09:08 PM
What in the world? This works just fine with the current ROM. Fix one thing, break three??? :roll:

I didn't find it until I had been playing around with it for a few days.

beq
05-19-2005, 06:37 AM
I just hope the pending newer ROM update builds they say are coming out weeks (days?) later won't each require a reinstallation of all your apps as has been muchly discussed in Jason's recent gripe thread (though Menneisyys has put that concern to ease somewhat).

In fact I'm in the middle of doing app reinstalls for our i-mate PPCs right now to be ready for our trip tomorrow (and because I'm doing this I haven't even started packing!).

As to the PDA2k i-mate ROM update, it's nice to see Skype included in ROM (but how come it's not included with their recent JAM ROM update?). Also weird to see that the version in ROM is v1.1.0.7 while the latest version available from the Skype website is v1.1.0.6 :D

Also, I should just say that while it doesn't bundle Skype, jwright's PDA2k ROM update (http://69.61.33.43/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3) includes a lot of other nice extras in the extROM not included in the i-mate official release (otherwise both are based on same ROM/OS/radio component versions).

Mr. PPC
05-19-2005, 01:22 PM
Although SKYPE is in the upgrade, it can be uninstalled. Check the Remove Programs area.

Paragon
05-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Although SKYPE is in the upgrade, it can be uninstalled. Check the Remove Programs area.

Oh, so that means it's not in ROM but installed from the Extended ROM then, I guess?

Dave

Ed Hansberry
05-19-2005, 06:07 PM

Oh, so that means it's not in ROM but installed from the Extended ROM then, I guess?
Probably one of thse apps that gets autoinstalled right after the first reset after a hard reset.