View Full Version : Shafted on ebay....

Stephen Beesley
05-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Well I guess it had to happen sooner or later.

Over the years I have used ebay quite a bit for buying and selling various PDAs and accessories and always had good experiences. But, now it seems that I have been royally shafted!

Chasing the best value for my money I bought a Dell X50v from a wholesaler in the US. The seller was (still is I guess…) an ebay power seller with plenty of positive feedback and, going off the comments, lots of happy customers all around the globe. The price was good so in I went.

Now to start with everything went just fine with lots of communication from the seller, but then my first hurdle: he used Bidpay as his payment method and unfortunately Bidpay does not take Mastercard (I had never thought to check before bidding – bad me). So that only left me a direct bank transfer – I know I know, and yes all my instincts told me that bank transfer might not be a good idea. But, there was all that positive feedback and he did seem to have a good track record etc., etc…

Well as you have probably already guessed that is where everything came unstuck on the deal. Since sending off my payment into the global banking system, not a word from the seller. Emails not responded to or bounced back as undeliverable, phone calls meeting either an answering machine or “he has just stepped out for a minute, can you ring back later”, or once even being told that I had rung the wrong number (okay so I might have but I am pretty sure I did not).

So that has been my lot for the last week couple of weeks. I have opened a dispute with ebay, but cannot really believe that they are going to have any more luck than me in contacting him – especially if he has killed off his email address as it seems. So it looks like he ends up with my cash and I end up with my frustration (which I am venting here).

The worst part of it all is that I sold off my Toshiba e755 and a stack of accessories (on ebay of course!) to finance the purchase so now I find myself not only with no new Dell and a minus a stack of cash, but also without a Pocket PC until my finances recover.

When they do, will I use ebay again you ask. Indeed I will, after all up to now I have only had good experiences there. Will I pay for an item by any way other than paypal in the future – I don’t bloody think so!

Edit - I guess I had better change my signature too....

surur
05-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Condolences. I don't trust ebay for anything >40-50 pounds.

Surur

Jon Westfall
05-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Man, that stinks. I've been burned on eBay before but still shop there. I've been really lucky with some of my high-priced purchases in the past. In any event, hope through some twist of fate you get your $$$ back.

i_spock
05-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Wow I'm really sorry to hear that. I just bought an X50v on ebay after 4-5 days wading through hundreds of auctions. I'd be interested in knowing who the seller was. If you are comfortable doing so, could you post who it was or PM me?

emuelle1
05-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Sorry to hear that. My wife has come across a few bad experiences. From what I've heard, I wouldn't use bidpay for anything. It almost sounds like it was written for scam artists.

Ebookslist
05-17-2005, 08:53 PM
Use small stores.

jbachandouris
05-17-2005, 09:14 PM
I too have had problems. I sold an Ipaq to someone in Indonesia, a non-approved country according to Paypal. I lost $685 and had to pay back Paypal through collections because I went against their rules by sending it to an un-approved country.

On the other side of the coin, I won a memory chip for a laptop and did use Paypal. It turns out the seller was a fraud (0 feedbacks, go figure!) so I filed a complaint with Paypal and voila!...money refunded.

Best advice: go with you 'gut.' I knew in, both cases, that it was the wrong thing to do and I ignored my instincts twice. The first time cost me, but the second did not...thank God.

Good luck!

Stephen Beesley
05-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Best advice: go with you 'gut.' I knew in, both cases, that it was the wrong thing to do and I ignored my instincts twice. The first time cost me, but the second did not...thank God...

I think that pretty much sums it up.

You live and learn....

The hardest part is going to be shipping off my Toshiba to its new owner tomorrow and being PPCless for the first time in about 5 years...

Stephen Beesley
05-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Wow I'm really sorry to hear that. I just bought an X50v on ebay after 4-5 days wading through hundreds of auctions. I'd be interested in knowing who the seller was. If you are comfortable doing so, could you post who it was or PM me?

At the moment I am still hoping that it has all been some gigantic misunderstanding (yeh I know.....), but if things do turn out being as bad as I fear then believe me the fraudster will be "named and shamed" - although, realistically I realise there is little chance he is PPC Thoughts reader, or that he will be trading on ebay again under the same name... :cry:

q-live
05-18-2005, 07:30 AM
I too have had problems. I sold an Ipaq to someone in Indonesia, a non-approved country according to Paypal. I lost $685 and had to pay back Paypal through collections because I went against their rules by sending it to an un-approved country.

On the other side of the coin, I won a memory chip for a laptop and did use Paypal. It turns out the seller was a fraud (0 feedbacks, go figure!) so I filed a complaint with Paypal and voila!...money refunded.

Best advice: go with you 'gut.' I knew in, both cases, that it was the wrong thing to do and I ignored my instincts twice. The first time cost me, but the second did not...thank God.

Good luck!

why did you have to pay. I thought u sold him the item???? Once you get the money its yours .... so what happen?????

Also i am a seller and i cant imagine why someone would want to take hard earn money that somebody have slaved to make. but dont let one bad experience ruin you for shoping on ebay. Their a lot off good sellers on ebay like me. :D

Kowalski
05-18-2005, 07:55 AM
Man i am realy sorry to hear about that. This kind of things happens every now and then and it seems that there is nothing we can do about it. There are xxx people everywhere in the world and these kind of people even can steal money from your pocket
i hope you can buy yourself a decent pda as soon as possible

Stephen Beesley
05-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Man i am realy sorry to hear about that. This kind of things happens every now and then and it seems that there is nothing we can do about it. There are xxx people everywhere in the world and these kind of people even can steal money from your pocket
i hope you can buy yourself a decent pda as soon as possible

Thank you all for the kind words. While I have been burned (pretty badly) this time I am sure I will purchase my next PPC on ebay - just more carefully!

It may be a couple of months before I can get "back in the game" I intend to keep myself occupied by writing a couple of general "thought pieces" for the site.

What really bites is that I just took delivery of a Stowaway BT mouse & keyboard Combo which I was really looking forward to putting to use.

The other bummer is that In a week and a half I am flying from Dublin back home to Perth in Western Australia - a loverly 24 Hour trip which Pocket Pc would have helped ease.

radish28
05-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Direct bank transfer? Why not just use a money order? Every time I've used bidpay thats what I've done...

Stephen Beesley
05-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Direct bank transfer? Why not just use a money order? Every time I've used bidpay thats what I've done...

Yeh - I know I know....

Never again - paypal all the way for me from now on!

stevelam
05-21-2005, 10:17 AM
What really bites is that I just took delivery of a Stowaway BT mouse & keyboard Combo which I was really looking forward to putting to use.
The other bummer is that In a week and a half I am flying from Dublin back home to Perth in Western Australia - a loverly 24 Hour trip which Pocket Pc would have helped ease.

I really feel for you mate. I just hope the money gets back to you.

Hrun
05-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Never again - paypal all the way for me from now on!

From a sellers point of view I still won't take paypal. Good old cheques or Postal orders welcomed here.

This will not change until I can be sure that, having posted my beloved item off to its new home, a dishonest buyer cannot put in a fraud claim, get his money back almost instantly and leave me pennyless trying to prove that I am honest.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Giles

Janak Parekh
05-21-2005, 06:33 PM
why did you have to pay. I thought u sold him the item???? Once you get the money its yours .... so what happen?????
Presumably, the payment was fradulent -- appeared to be okay initially, but wasn't. This is common with countries like Indonesia -- we had a discussion about this a year ago (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16830&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0).

Also i am a seller and i cant imagine why someone would want to take hard earn money that somebody have slaved to make.
Umm... there are non-scrupulous people in the world, you know. ;)

--janak

SteveHoward999
05-22-2005, 04:31 AM
Sorry to hear that. My wife has come across a few bad experiences. From what I've heard, I wouldn't use bidpay for anything. It almost sounds like it was written for scam artists.

I agree - I made one purchase where the seller insisted on cash or Bidpay .... since Bidpay don't take mastercard, and they send a money order anyway Irefused to complete the purchase. the extra suspicious par was how the seller didn't argue, and made no attempt to find a solution acceptable to me, like opening a Paypal account !!

encece
05-23-2005, 05:41 AM
Can I just throw in my bad experience to maybe ease yours???

I lost $1400 on ebay attempting to purchase a laptop from a seller with an almost perfect rating.

They day after I sent my monet thru paypal...ebay wrote me and said the seller's account had been hijacked.

The seller still told me that the item was shipping and sent me a tracking number.

When the box arrived, enclosed, instead of a laptop, were 3 old VW hubcaps, 3 dirty duffle bags and a broken printer.

I immediately took pics and called my local police.

I tried to call the SanFrancisco police (where the seller shipped from) and they referred my to the FBI's internet fraud site.

- ebay did NOTHING

- PayPal was satisfied with a shipment of something and claimed they were not responsible for the quality of the goods.

- Visa could not protect me since my transaction was with Paypal and not the seller directly.

- The FBI, after I filled out a loooooong form and provided all of my pics, which included the lable UNDER my lable that included the seller's name...NEVER got back to me.

So I went and bought the same item...new...but open box at BestBuy for $1400.

In the end...the $2000 computer that I was trying to save $600 on ended up costing me $2800. :evil:

But yes...I have purchased and sold on ebay many times since! :roll:

PS. I'm pretty sure that the seller's account wasnt hijacked since the lable under mine had their name and Paypal address on it! :evil: :evil:

rugerx
05-24-2005, 12:34 AM
If you dont get your goods delivered by this person eventually, please post the ebay user name.
I ebay often and would like to add this person to my black list. People need to stand together and boycott scam trash like this.

I REALLY hope it works out for you!

Stephen Beesley
05-24-2005, 06:12 AM
If you dont get your goods delivered by this person eventually, please post the ebay user name.
I ebay often and would like to add this person to my black list. People need to stand together and boycott scam trash like this.

I REALLY hope it works out for you!

Well it definately looks like I am NOT going to get the Dell I bought and the seller in question would appear to have conned a number of others as well in the last couple of weeks - going off feedback and contact I have had with other buyers - so I will have no problem naming and shaming!

I have another couple of days to run on the dispute before I can lodge a claim under ebays standard protection plan - not much but at least I will get some of my cash back - then you can expect to see "names named!"

applejosh
05-24-2005, 03:59 PM
The problem is that once this yahoo sees that people are on to him/her, s/he will get a new user name on ebay. I've personally never used ebay (for selling or buying), and I don't know if I will given some of the stories I've heard. I do have a few devices that I want to unload, though (namely PalmOS devices), so I may end up trying to sell stuff on there, but who knows.

Stephen Beesley
05-24-2005, 09:41 PM
The problem is that once this yahoo sees that people are on to him/her, s/he will get a new user name on ebay.

Very true - but I happen to know his real name and have no problem in publishing it. So if anybody happens to come across it on ebay they will know to steer clear - even if it means cancelling purchase - whatever username he has decided to use.

Damion Chaplin
05-25-2005, 12:00 AM
My recent experiences:

I put up my old laptop in need of repair for $250. It was immediately bought by a guy from 'connecticut' currently in 'london' and wanted me to ship it to his 'daughter' in 'Nigeria' (OK the Nigeria part is probably the only truth in there). I am all too aware of the Nigeria scam, so I refused (he never paid anyway). Before I could even file a NPB with eBay, he closed his eBay account. I ended up relisting it and it was subsequently bought by a (seemingly) legitimate guy who will not respond to my emails requesting a confirmed Paypal account. Still in Limbo on that one. His $250 is still sitting in my Paypal account ready to be refunded should he not provide a confirmed address.

Then there was the old setup/recovery CDs I listed with the shell of the old laptop that they came with. It was bought (for $72) by a guy in Germany who didn't understand the listing ('cause he didn't read English) and thought I was selling the entire laptop. I had to refund his money.

On the other had, I just bought a sweet new SMT5600 from a guy who owns a Cingular store (it's another 18 months until I'm eligible for an upgrade) and had a phone that was returned. Everything was still sealed!

So, yes one can easily be screwed, but one can just as easily find gold. Try not to let it jade your view of humanity at large (that's a tough one for me). Sorry to hear about your experience. Better luck next time!

Darius Wey
05-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Wow Stephen, I just discovered this post. 8O

I'm really sorry to hear about the tough times you went through. Nothing sucks more than not getting what you paid for, especially when it's an X50v on the other end of the line. I hope you receive a lot more better luck in the future.

Stephen Beesley
05-27-2005, 04:08 PM
Wow Stephen, I just discovered this post. 8O

I'm really sorry to hear about the tough times you went through. Nothing sucks more than not getting what you paid for, especially when it's an X50v on the other end of the line. I hope you receive a lot more better luck in the future.

Yeh Less than impressed!

Definately the last time I buy something on ebay and do not use paypal to pay for it.

Still I am just about to fly back to Perth this Monday (the Dell would have been good company :D) which has kept my mind off things pretty successfully.

Once I am back in the "West" I will have to start looking around for another deal.

Darius Wey
05-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Still I am just about to fly back to Perth this Monday (the Dell would have been good company :D) which has kept my mind off things pretty successfully.

Well, it's a bit early to say this, but welcome home. http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/13148/emot-partyblower.gif

Once I am back in the "West" I will have to start looking around for another deal.

Dell AU are selling it with a free spare battery and a free Bluetooth keyboard. The only downside is the price. ~A$850. :(

JPD6825
05-29-2005, 06:05 AM
In this case, I think there is a very good alternative to shopping on eBay. That is the Dell Outlet store, selling refurbished PDAs - with full warranty. They are restored to the orginal new condition - as far as I can tell -- I have personally seen 4 PDAs come out of there. My old Axim X5 was one -- and my 'new' X50v is the latest. As far as I can tell it is flawless - and has the wonderful display that gets well deserved raves. Tonight you can get an X50v there for $359, with just a cradle and charger - no extras. I paid less than that about 2 months ago. If you need an even lower price point -- you can just watch them -- they do occassionally have sales - and eventually that price will fall under $350 - then $340...

Anyone know how to 'pass the hat' for Stephen? If 100-200 PPCT readers each donated $1 or $2 -- Stephen could be back in the game much quicker. Paypal transactions?

Stephen Beesley
05-29-2005, 02:33 PM
In this case, I think there is a very good alternative to shopping on eBay. That is the Dell Outlet store, selling refurbished PDAs - with full warranty. They are restored to the orginal new condition - as far as I can tell -- I have personally seen 4 PDAs come out of there. My old Axim X5 was one -- and my 'new' X50v is the latest. As far as I can tell it is flawless - and has the wonderful display that gets well deserved raves. Tonight you can get an X50v there for $359, with just a cradle and charger - no extras. I paid less than that about 2 months ago. If you need an even lower price point -- you can just watch them -- they do occassionally have sales - and eventually that price will fall under $350 - then $340...?

Yes I have been thinking about the Dell outlet store myself - unfortunately, Dell Australia does not seem to operate one, and the Dell US will only ship to the US of course.

The idea of a refurbed unit appeals because the Toshiba e755 the Dell was due to replace (and which has now gone on to its new owner) was a refurb unit and I certainly never noticed any problems with it at all.

Anyone know how to 'pass the hat' for Stephen? If 100-200 PPCT readers each donated $1 or $2 -- Stephen could be back in the game much quicker. Paypal transactions?

Thank you for the kind thought, although I am sure there a far worthier causes than my gadget addiction out there 8O .

Actually I have now made a claim with ebay and hopefully they will at least refund me US$175 of the purchase price (the $200 standard protection payment less their $75 processing charge - I do not know why they don't just say that the payment is $175 flat) which will at least get my gadget fund rolling again!

Stephen Beesley
07-22-2005, 06:08 AM
Well after several months of going through the ebay claim procedure I have finally been advised that I will be getting back at least some of my payment within the next couple of weeks.

So, as promised earlier in this thread, the time has finally come - "Naming and Shaming Time"...

Drum roll please....

The name of the scumbag who ripped me off on ebay is....

Clearcost (http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=clearcost&iid=5769271946&frm=284) also known as Gurinder P Singh of Frisco Texas USA.

Hope he enjoyed my money as much as I enjoyed the Axim.... :snipersmile:

Darius Wey
07-22-2005, 07:08 AM
Well after several months of going through the ebay claim procedure I have finally been advised that I will be getting back at least some of my payment within the next couple of weeks.

Great to hear you're getting back on track, Stephen. :)

Jon Westfall
07-22-2005, 04:17 PM

Like Darius, I'm glad to hear that you'll finally be getting some closure and cash for this!

stevelam
07-22-2005, 04:19 PM

Congratulations. It does seem sad though that some people never get any of their money back. I even know people where the seller left the country!

Stephen Beesley
08-01-2005, 05:59 AM
Thank you all for your kind thoughts and words. I am still waiting for the refund to come through, but in the mean time I have been keeping an eye out for my next device.

In the short term I will probably be getting myself something cheaper (currently following a couple of HP 5450 auctions on ebay), but after checking out Darius' Axim x50v the other day I am determined to "get myself one of those" before to long!

Jason Dunn
08-01-2005, 05:54 PM
This is the first time I've read about this whole affair - talk about frustrating! I know what it feels like though, I lost (for a time) $1500 or so on a digital camera I was buying from someone in Quebec. The entire ordeal is here:

http://www.jasonsego.com/fraud/index.html

In the end I feel I came out on top - I got 90% of the money back, and when you Google for his name (http://www.google.ca/search?q=patrick+clouet&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official), the first thing you see is:

Patrick Clouet - Digital Camera Fraud - Patrick Clouet

:devilboy:

You may want to do the same if you have the time. ;-)

jgalindo
08-01-2005, 07:21 PM
One time I bought a Pocket PC from a seller in Australia. It arrived broken and no one ever refunded my Money.

Another time I bought an SD card and tried to have them ship to South America. They charged me and never shipped the item.

Yet another time I bought a Motorola MPX200 that was supposed to be unlocked. It arrived locked so the seller told me to ship the item to him so that he could unlock it. MISTAKE! I never saw the phone again.

And, one more time, I bought a battery for my Dell and it did not work. I sent it back for a refund (same MISTAKE as above) and never ever again saw my Money.

DON'T send an item back to a seller unless they refund your money or send a second item first. If you dispute this in paypal they will say that the seller has already shipped the item and that you received it, so that is the end of their liability. It happened to me twice.

So, I try to avoid ebay now.

ChrisW
08-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Does it seem to anyone else that our police agencies really aren't interested in protecting regular people. As far as I can tell, police are interested in fighting "The War on Xyz" (insert your favorite scourge here), or supplementing their budget via traffic and parking tickets. They'll go after murderers, but for the kinds of crimes that are most likely to affect your or I, they serve as nothing more than an official insurance-acceptable documentation service.

When did we lose the protections they were supposed to be giving us, and how do we get it back?

Kurt Hunciker
08-01-2005, 11:00 PM
(This was also posted under the "PDA fraud on Ebay: How do you protect yourself?" topic.)

I was also burned on Ebay.

I lost my Axim X50v a couple of weeks ago (it has since been recovered), and I thought I would save money by purchasing a replacement on Ebay.

The seller was in the U.K., but his feedback was uniformly positive. His posting stated that he would consider a lower price than the "Buy It Now" price, and when I e-mailed him, we reached a deal. (I later found out from Ebay that this results in the transction being off Ebay, which means that Ebay will do nothing in the event of a fraud.)

The only red flag was that the seller asked for the money through Western Union rather than PayPal. I guess I was too trusting, so I wired him the money.

After no Axim arrived, I e-mailed the seller who never responded. I then contacted Ebay to complain. Ebay informed me that it would take no steps to help me since the transaction was off Ebay.

After I sent another e-mail to Ebay asking that the seller at least be banned from Ebay, Ebay informed me that the "seller" was somebody who gained access to the password of a legitimate Ebay user in order to post the fraudulent sale.

All I could do at this point was to notify Yahoo (the "seller's" e-mail account that he used to communicate with me was from Yahoo) and ask them to block his e-mail account.

I learned an expensive lesson. I will never engage in another transaction on Ebay except through PayPal. Also, for anything that is moderately expensive, I will only purchase through a "Power Seller".

PocketPC Addict
08-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Sorry this happened. I got burned once buying some "new" unopened software retailing at $350 I bought it for $125. I did get the software, but when I tried to upgrade it, it was reported my license was invalid. :evil: Since a year had passed, I had no way of tracking it back.

Cybrid
08-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Does it seem to anyone else that our police agencies really aren't interested in protecting regular people. As far as I can tell, police are interested in fighting "The War on Xyz" (insert your favorite scourge here), or supplementing their budget via traffic and parking tickets. They'll go after murderers, but for the kinds of crimes that are most likely to affect your or I, they serve as nothing more than an official insurance-acceptable documentation service.

When did we lose the protections they were supposed to be giving us, and how do we get it back? :roll: When you elected the idiots to the local government. Most police forces around the world are seriously understaffed and under budgeted. As such a decision making process known as "triage" is used. Resources and manpower are allocated to whatever may provide the greatest good. It is better that they spend their time chasing murderers first then worrying over the smaller stuff.
This is not in any way to trivialize Mr. Beesley's situation.
As to what to do to resolve this...Get on a soapbox. Vote. Pay your taxes...Convince hundreds of thousands of other individuals to do the same...
Live by Edmund Burke's saying.
"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
Understand that a well educated and armed citizenry is better than any army or police force.

PPCMD
08-01-2005, 11:59 PM
- ebay did NOTHING

- PayPal was satisfied with a shipment of something and claimed they were not responsible for the quality of the goods.

- Visa could not protect me since my transaction was with Paypal and not the seller directly.

Its odd that Visa wouldn't help out let alone PaPal. I was on the hunt two weeks ago for a new HW6515 and there was a seller on eBay with a member status saying they were in the US but the item was in Milano Italy (Flag #1). They have a great sellers history and near perfect feedback. The seller had in the text of the auction to email them at a yahoo account since they could respond faster (Flag #2) and it also said they would take a "Buy It Now" price but it was not listed (Flag #3).

So I emailed via eBay site since it was a 1 day auction. No immediate anwer (couple of hours) so I use the yahoo email. Boy did I get a quick answer. Not feeling 100% about this we exchange emails back and forth. Each time I ask for the buy it now price and pictures. Each time he/she say yes do I want it. (Flag #4).

So finally I say yes depending on the buy it now price and they tell me $360. The current auction price was $354, which meant they were willing to end an auction and violate eBay policy (Flag #5).

I declined the auction and kept my money with me.

eBay emailed me a couple of hours later indicating possible fraud and that I should not communicate outside of eBay channels etc.

The next day I see the exact item, pictures, email info on the Buy It Now stuff and a different seller with again near perfect ratings. I went to email ebay on their site about fraud. Before I could finish the form the auction was pulled.

The one item I found from Ciitbank Customer Service was that even though I was using PayPal to run my payment (merchant to them) and was buying an item on eBay (goods purchased) they said I was covered against fraud. If the item was not as promised or agreed upon I should document it and send it back. If the seller refuses Citibank will back me. Then its eBay's job to get the money.

Bottom line I have carried Citibank for 13 years and they back me.

Len Egan
08-02-2005, 02:30 AM
I also got burned on a PDA. A Toshiba E-805 about 18 months ago. This goober was also from Texas (sorry Texans, but is there a pattern here). You can go through all the ebay channels and paypal channels for recovery, but they basically tell the person that they are bad and then do nothing when the change their screen name to something else for their next victim.

I was out about $500 and I even contacted the police in the town where it happened. You can get them to follow-up if you want by pushing hard, but I found that it just isn't worth it.

The moral of the story is NEVER buy or sell to someone with an unconfirmed address and under 10 feedbacks is almost as bad a negative feedbacks. Too bad too because it ruins it for the rest of us.

Thaedson
08-03-2005, 09:18 PM
I've been buying off e-bay for 5 years. I've been burned... but never for more than $20 and that's for over 100 transactions. There are actually FOUR things I look for in a seller these days:

First - How LONG have they been an e-bayer. If you've changed your name or are 6 months "old" I look elsewhere.
Second - How positive is their feedback (buddy if your below 95% I don't even bother)
Third - What was the value of the last few things they sold. Was it a bunch of $1 items?
Finally - Can I pay for it with Paypal? That's it, only way your getting your cash since its the only way I can protect myself from fraud.

I've been asked on numerous occasions to go "off ebay" and buy something. I decline. I'd rather spend the extra $5 and consider myself "insured" against the other guy.

BTW when I did get burned it was a small comic book shop four states away and the sales clerk stole the book and told the manager he mailed it to me. Manager found out a couple of months later and mailed me a brank new copy and another book of comparable value as a gift/appology. There are good people out there.

sofene
08-04-2005, 04:01 PM
There are good people out there.You can say that again. Once I bought an E800 Toshiba pda from a guy in Canada which got lost in the mail. Four months later it shows up in his mail and he ships it back to me (after I emailed him and agreed to pay for another shipping). But the bottom line is that this guy was honest. He could easily have denied getting the pda back.

On the other hand, I bought an mpx200 from a seller and paid through paypal. This seller rejected the payment and requested a cashier's cheque instead. Well the cheque was mailed to seller who has denied reciving the cheque even though Bank of America (who sent the cheque) has provided copy of cheque and cheque has been cashed. I lost $142 on this transaction.

Lesson learnt, pay only with paypal.

fishfuzz
08-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Looks like clearcost just bought an item on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57990&item=8304656516

I would contact that seller for his address, then file with the police where he lives. It would be a good PR boost for a "mail fraud" capture on their end.

developerzero
08-06-2005, 06:11 AM
Did anyone else notice that he sold a whole bunch of Axim X50s? (And at least one person gave him positive feedback, which seems to indicate that he got his PDA)

btw, check out http://paypalsucks.com/

Stephen Beesley
08-08-2005, 01:49 AM
Did anyone else notice that he sold a whole bunch of Axim X50s? (And at least one person gave him positive feedback, which seems to indicate that he got his PDA)

Yes - one of the odd things about this whole affair is that it seems that quite a few people who bought dells from ClearCost (even in the same bulk auction that I bought from) did actually recieve their purchases, while quite a number of others did not. Seems to have been a bit of a lottery.

When I am feeling most forgiving toward Mr Singh (not very often :evil:) I wonder if it was not a case of him over selling and deciding "what the heck - I might as well keep the money now...".

I just wish that ebay would actually take action against fraudsters.