View Full Version : Rant- WiFi syncing removed from Activesync 4.0

Paragon
05-16-2005, 03:06 AM
As we all learned a few days ago Microsoft has chosen to remove WiFi syncing from AS 4.0 which is the only version that will work with upcoming Windows Mobile 5.0 devices. This adversely effects how thousands and thousands of people use their Windows Mobile devices.

Apparently this was done because there are security issues when using WiFi to Activesync, and they don’t have enough time to fix the problems before Windows Mobile 5.0 and AS 4.0 start shipping. They were faced with a choice of removing it, or delaying the release. I can’t be the only one here who sees a major flaw in this decision. If there are security issues with WiFi and Activesync they have been there for quite sometime. They didn’t just come to light in the past few weeks. They would have been there much longer. I don’t think I’m violating any NDA here by stating that I was provided a build of AS 4.0 a year ago. A year ago! The largest software company in the world, its OS is on the huge majority of computers around the world, and they don’t have the resources to fix this issue in a timely manner? This has been an ongoing problem with Microsoft and its mobile devices. I’m being careful not to place this squarely on the shoulders of the Mobile Devices team, because AS is developed by the Windows team now, if I’m not mistaken.

I know I must sound like my normal, pessimistic, negative self here, my apologies, but geez, this one seems a bit much to me. Actually removing a very popular, useful feature that tens of thousands of people use everyday, because one of the largest corporations in the world doesn’t have the time and resources to fix it…Come on!

I’m willing to bet that the vast majority of users would choose to use WiFi to sync regardless of the security issues, because to them it isn’t of great importance, or doesn’t come into play for a number of reasons which make it highly unlikely anyone would have the opportunity to take advantage the security problems. That’s not to say that this is not an important issue by any means. It is a very important issue that must be dealt with. My point is that WiFi syncing is being taken away from all users regardless of their situation, or choice.

To me I think there is a very simple temporary fix to this problem. When syncing via WiFi have a window pop up stating that there are security flaws when syncing using WiFi, and ask if you wish to continue, perhaps with a hyperlink to more information on the subject. This brings the issue to the attention of the user, yet allows those who wish to continue, to do so. On an enterprise level I’m sure there could be a locking function that could be enabled so that admins can block WiFi sync to keep their systems secure.

Personally I think this issue brings to the surface the priorities Microsoft has placed on mobile devices. It is committed to mobile devices, but the current state is just a temporary one on a path to somewhere yet defined. They want it to succeed but don’t want to put too deep of a commitment into the current situation because it will likely change considerably, make it work but don’t go too deep with it since it will evolve to something else, probably very soon anyway.

I have to ask this question of Microsoft, why spend time and resources developing something like a mobile Powerpoint application, that is already available through several third parties, as an example, when there are serious security holes in your syncing application that need to be repaired, but are left untouched, then say you don't have the resources to fix the problems?

How am I to properly evangelize your platform when you do stupid things like this?

Dave

Jon Westfall
05-16-2005, 04:04 AM
Nice rant Paragon, although I think most of us around here are just disgusted enough already given the amount of play this topic has garnered. Although I suppose the more we complain, the better chance (however remote that is) that MS will keep this feature there is.

Paragon
05-16-2005, 04:27 AM
Yeah, I figured every little bit.ch..... bit helps. ;)

This just seems to be one of the stupidest things MS has done.

Dave

ppcinfo
05-16-2005, 03:21 PM
I too will miss the ability to ActiveSync via WiFi. Maybe some innovative person will come up with an add-on solution?

ppcinfo

Jon Westfall
05-16-2005, 03:42 PM
I too will miss the ability to ActiveSync via WiFi. Maybe some innovative person will come up with an add-on solution?

ppcinfo

That'd be great - "Now I can Pay For Something I Had For Free!".. of course, if it worked reliably and wasn't a pain to set up in some cases, then it might be worth it...

Paragon
05-16-2005, 04:55 PM
There have been some rumblings about 3rd party apps to enable WiFi syncing in AS 4.0, that would be nice to see. As Jon has pointed out it is a shame that we are now faced with having to pay for something we used to get for free....but, hey...now we have a free PowerPoint viewer, so I guess it's sort of a wash right?! <sarcasm>

Dave

Jon Westfall
05-16-2005, 05:52 PM
There have been some rumblings about 3rd party apps to enable WiFi syncing in AS 4.0, that would be nice to see. As Jon has pointed out it is a shame that we are now faced with having to pay for something we used to get for free....but, hey...now we have a free PowerPoint viewer, so I guess it's sort of a wash right?! <sarcasm>

Dave

I just can't get as warm and fuzzy about PowerPoint as I do about the ability to ActiveSync from across my yard while lounging down by the lake... Mark my words MS - this is not a good decision ;)

ipaq_wannabe
05-17-2005, 02:38 PM
do you guys think that there would be a chance that M$ (given the needed kick in the behind) would put back WiFi ActiveStink???

Jon Westfall
05-17-2005, 03:05 PM
You never know, but us complaining certainly can't hurt (Unless you imagine a diabolical conversation between Bill Gates & Steve Balmer:

Bill: Hey, you know those users - they want WiFi Activesync
Steve: Yea, and we could give it to them, but its more fun to annoy them!
Bill: OK, while we're at it, should we make the x really close programs?
Steve: Heck no!

I really don't think this is going on at MS... :) Anyway, I guess all we can do is hope, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Paragon
05-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Personally I'm fairly confident they will put it back in, when they have repaired the security issues. Just how long that will take is a totally different question.....It always comes back to WHEN will MS fix this or that problem. As I said in my first post, they have known about this issue for quite some time, but chose not to commit the resources to it that were needed to fix, instead, chose the easy route.....REMOVE it! So to answer the question once again.....yeah...when they fix it. It may takes as long as it's taking to fix the little X that doesn't. ;)

Dave

MLO
05-17-2005, 10:32 PM
You think that's rough.

Try upgrading a remote access Citrix server to Windows Server 2003...the only Citrix Metaframe remote access server in the entire organization...to fix one problem (licensing) only to discover that Server 2003 doesn't support dial up connections.

Meaning all the users you support that still have their 56 modems are now royally screwed.

Sorry....off topic I know, but tangentially so. More Microsoft insanity.

Jon Westfall
05-18-2005, 03:59 AM
You think that's rough.

Try upgrading a remote access Citrix server to Windows Server 2003...the only Citrix Metaframe remote access server in the entire organization...to fix one problem (licensing) only to discover that Server 2003 doesn't support dial up connections.

Meaning all the users you support that still have their 56 modems are now royally screwed.

Eh, if they ain't on broadband, then ********** them ;)

I actually feel the pain on this one - my future mother in law works for a company as a field clinical manager, and she only recently got broadband (Direcway). Before that, she drove tech support nuts being one of only 7 or so people in the country with dialup. And of course, since I'm first line tech support being that I'm going to marry her daugher next year, I'm called first :roll:

Darius Wey
05-18-2005, 04:16 AM
Eh, if they ain't on broadband, then ********** them ;) I actually feel the pain on this one - my future mother in law works for a company as a field clinical manager, and she only recently got broadband (Direcway). Before that, she drove tech support nuts being one of only 7 or so people in the country with dialup.

Sounds like me and my diabolical dial-up situation half a year ago. The only difference is (a) I'm not a mother in law, and (b) I didn't appreciate being ********** back then. ;)

MLO
05-18-2005, 02:40 PM
You think that's rough.

Eh, if they ain't on broadband, then ********** them ;)

I actually feel the pain on this one - my future mother in law works for a company as a field clinical manager, and she only recently got broadband (Direcway). Before that, she drove tech support nuts being one of only 7 or so people in the country with dialup. And of course, since I'm first line tech support being that I'm going to marry her daugher next year, I'm called first :roll:

That would be nice, except some of the higher-ups are still on dial-up, and all of them are on dial up via laptop when out of town.

In regards to the M-I-L....ouch.

SofaTater
05-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Okay, I will admit that I didn't know that you could synch over WiFi until I read the posts about AS4.0...

So, can anyone point me to a simple tutorial on how to set up my Dell Axim x50 to synch over my new wireless home network???

thebixman
05-23-2005, 11:02 AM
It's tough living in a dictatorship...

Paragon
05-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Okay, I will admit that I didn't know that you could synch over WiFi until I read the posts about AS4.0...

So, can anyone point me to a simple tutorial on how to set up my Dell Axim x50 to synch over my new wireless home network???

The only thing you really need to do to use WiFi with Activesync (presently ;)) is: in Activesync on your desktop go to, file/connection settings, and check the box that allows Ethernet.

Dave

ipaq_wannabe
05-23-2005, 11:49 PM
so, i guess for those who have gotten used to WiFi ActiveSync, and have gotten AS 4.0 - would just need to go back to synching with cables? or get a Exchange Server for the home desktop?

:(