View Full Version : Do floating notepads exist?

caubeck
05-15-2005, 10:14 PM
What I mean is, is there any kind of applet or small notepad device that would let me write while another window is open behind it? I often need to copy down text from pdfs or images, and closing the image to open a pad and then reopening the image, and so on, is a pain. I have found an excellent device to switch from one to the other ("Dynamo," it's freeware), but am I doomed to switch whole windows for the rest of eternity?

Applets float ("Sidex," etc.), what about notepads?

iPAQ 1935 user, Esq.

Jon Westfall
05-16-2005, 01:34 AM
We'd probably need something in the form of sidex or such for this, otherwise I haven't seen anything that would work as you propose. Unfortunatly, it looks like Mtux has been pretty stagnent for awhile now, maybe he'll jump back and develop something like this!

Jon.

Darius Wey
05-16-2005, 02:27 AM
There isn't a dedicated floating notepad application as far as I'm aware, but there is an application that allows you to view any two applications at the same time, which I'm sure you'd be very interested in.

The application is called Seymour: http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&productId=40466&productType=2

dlangton
05-16-2005, 03:21 AM
I use CalcNote from Inesoft as a floating notepad/calculator. See http://www.inesoft.com/eng/index.php?in=calcnote

Jon Westfall
05-16-2005, 04:19 AM
I had forgotten about Seymour. I never tried that program, although I might give it a spin tomorrow if I have time. It might be a winner in your situation, or CalcNote (Although I haven't heard much about that one either).

jlp
05-16-2005, 05:59 AM
I use CalcNote myself too.

It's a quite nifty little app that's compatible with MS Pocket Notes (the integrated Notes app), it even allows for hand drawing and opens Pocket Notes files (*.pwi).

You tap on the title bar to reduce it to a tiny icon that's unobstructive and which you can move; tap again on the tiny icon and it shows its resizeable window again.

2 icons on the open window let you switch between the Note and Calc feature.

Very handy and it's less than 5 bucks.

Put a link into your Startup folder to have it handy all the time.

caubeck
05-16-2005, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I've just downloaded and installed Seymour. Yes, it looks useful, but it acts weirdly with Calligrapher. Not sure how useful it will be, but I'll play with it for a while.

It does some strange things. Sometimes it seems to make the input option icon disappear completely. Seymour isn't compatible with TextMaker according to its own instructions, but for my purposes I can stoop to the height of Pocket Word, I suppose. It's probably just a question of getting used to how it works.

I'll try the other one now, CalcNote. If I finally learn to live with either, I'll add a PS at the end of this thread.

Chris

caubeck
05-16-2005, 09:36 AM
CalcNote wins.

Seymour is probably good for other purposes, but CalcNote has what it takes to keep a sizeable notepad floating over an image of text.

Go go gadget ARMs.

jpf
05-26-2005, 01:49 AM
calcnote free from this url:
http://inesoft.com/s3n/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=56

I haven't tried it to see if it's exactly the same version though.

Sven Johannsen
05-26-2005, 02:41 AM
calcnote free from this url:
http://inesoft.com/s3n/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=56

I haven't tried it to see if it's exactly the same version though.

From the install splash screen

Inesoft CalcNote for Pocket PC/WinCE (ARM, XScale, SH3, MIPS)
Trial Period 15 days

Kowalski
05-26-2005, 07:30 AM
you want to capy paste text between applicaions, right?
if this is what you want to do i suggest you to use PHM clipboard SIP.
this might be a better solution than a floating notepad

jlp
05-31-2005, 12:52 AM
For those who installed CalcNote recently, what version number do you have on your PPC? Inesoft's site used to say v.1.1 recently (they don't list version # anymore) and mine which I bought last year the splash screen on my PPC says 1.2.

Sven Johannsen
05-31-2005, 02:39 AM
For those who installed CalcNote recently, what version number do you have on your PPC? Inesoft's site used to say v.1.1 recently (they don't list version # anymore) and mine which I bought last year the splash screen on my PPC says 1.2.

I got it just after this thread started, v.1.2 Guess they haven't done much with it, but then, what is there to do? Pretty neat little app.

G M Fude
05-31-2005, 05:24 AM
Yep, got version 1.2, same as Sven -- it says Build 2003.12.19, gotta figure that's a release date. Not much to develop, it's a very complete and robust little app.