View Full Version : Windows Mobile Customers Most Satisfied of all Mobile Device Owners

Jason Dunn
05-15-2005, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://corp.handango.com/PressRelease.jsp?siteId=1&jid=F7AE3AX9AXD3D1X7C9C8X18F128F4336&CKey=1_PRESSRELEASE_PR051005&option=pressroom' target='_blank'>http://corp.handango.com/PressRelea...ption=pressroom</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Today Handango, the leading provider of mobile downloads, released preliminary results of its annual repeat buyer survey at Microsoft's Mobile &amp; Embedded Developer Conference. The survey revealed that Windows Mobile customers were tops in brand loyalty and device satisfaction. "Our customer survey data shows how pleased Windows Mobile customers are with their mobile device experiences, and the role that third-party software plays in strengthening brand loyalty and reducing churn," said Randy Eisenman, president and chief executive officer of Handango. "We've long seen a strong correlation between customers adding third-party software, increased device usage and stronger brand loyalty and satisfaction, and these results underscore that powerful correlation." Customers were asked to rank their satisfaction with their current mobile device as "Excellent," "Good," "Average," "Below Average" or "Poor." The Dell Axim family topped the rankings with over 59 percent of owners giving the device "Excellent" ratings while another 37 percent rated it "Good." The next most highly ranked device was RIM's BlackBerry™ followed by the palmOne Treo."</i><br /><br />So y'all really like your devices don't you? :mrgreen:

OSUKid7
05-15-2005, 01:09 AM
So y'all really like your devices don't you? :mrgreen:
When they work, yes. ;) :D

timcolling
05-15-2005, 01:39 AM
Note that HP customers clearly were NOT among the most satisfied.

- Tim

christak
05-15-2005, 01:59 AM
Note that HP customers clearly were NOT among the most satisfied.

- Tim

...and that is why, after 3 iPAQs, I now own a Dell x50v...

"The Dell Axim family topped the rankings with over 59 percent of owners giving the device "Excellent" ratings while another 37 percent rated it "Good.""

8)

njl2016
05-15-2005, 02:01 AM
I own an iPAQ rx3715, and I'd say that I'm pretty satisfied with it, more than with my previous CLIEs or Palms. I'd be more satisfied with it if they released an opgrade to WM 2005 ;)

Jon Westfall
05-15-2005, 03:09 AM
Part of our collective satisfaction is, in my opinion, due to the fact that you get a clear sense that a windows mobile machine is more than a simple PIM (which Palmone is trying to change with the whole Lifedrive idea). My old Palm m505 was simply a PIM that could play games or maybe browse notes. My pocket pcs have been devices that could be a pim, a picture viewer, an audio player, and the list goes on...

livingalways4him
05-15-2005, 03:10 AM
I was very content with my iPAQ, but I sold it and now own a Tungsten T. Besides the hit-and-miss digitizer drift, I am very pleased with it. I am debating on upgrading to either a Tungsten T5 or a PPC model...

Jon Westfall
05-15-2005, 03:19 AM
I was very content with my iPAQ, but I sold it and now own a Tungsten T. Besides the hit-and-miss digitizer drift, I am very pleased with it. I am debating on upgrading to either a Tungsten T5 or a PPC model...

If you come back to us now, we'll waive the animosity and take back all the dirty things we said about you for switching to a palm... :wink:

Glad to hear you liked your iPAQ though, what made you decide to get a Tungsten?

Paragon
05-15-2005, 03:37 AM
If you come back to us now, we'll waive the animosity and take back all the dirty things we said about you for switching to a palm... :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jon, I think it's time they dropped the "in training" and make it simply "Contributing Editor"

Who can beat contributions like that?!

Dave

Jon Westfall
05-15-2005, 03:42 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jon, I think it's time they dropped the "in training" and make it simply "Contributing Editor"

Who can beat contributions like that?!

Dave

:mrgreen: I try.

It really is nice to see someone who doesn't even use a PPC anymore still reading our site. I guess we'll take back all the dirty things and stop cursing his name under our breath immediately in light of that kind of reader loyalty :)

Paragon
05-15-2005, 03:56 AM
I think if he was to get his hands on one of our x50v he would soon forget all about the drifting digitzer fun he is having and leave the dark side, regardless of what we have been saying about him. ;)

Speaking of Dell...and keeping it on topic. I think it speaks volumes that the guys with the lowest prices have the most satisfied customers, and the guys with the highest prices and the "quality" devices are down the list......hmmm. maybe you don't get what you pay for afterall. :)

Dave

Jon Westfall
05-15-2005, 04:06 AM
I think if he was to get his hands on one of our x50v he would soon forget all about the drifting digitzer fun he is having and leave the dark side, regardless of what we have been saying about him. ;)

Speaking of Dell...and keeping it on topic. I think it speaks volumes that the guys with the lowest prices have the most satisfied customers, and the guys with the highest prices and the "quality" devices are down the list......hmmm. maybe you don't get what you pay for afterall. :)

Dave

I always thought we were the dark side... its always more fun to be the bad guy.

Anyway, I would think that as we put less money into a device we expect less out of it, and are very happy when we get more than we expected (therefore have a higher satisfaction). When you dump a lot into a high end machine and then have repeated problems (i.e. my 6315) you become a bit dishartened when you can't even get what you did expect (lower satisfaction). Of course the idea of Sunk Cost may also enter into the equation, as people are inclined to put more resources into something after an initial investment (Arkes &amp; Blumer, 1985). As we invest more time into a device, we believe that we'll get higher satisfaction (and productivity) by putting in more time and effort, therefore satisfaction ratings continue to go down while people stick with a device and try to not appear wasteful. Cognitive Dissonance at its finast, Festinger would be proud.

Or maybe I'm just reading too far into this...

Arkes, H. R., &amp; Blumer, C. (1985). The psychology of sunk cost. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 35, 124-140.

timcolling
05-15-2005, 04:14 AM
...Speaking of Dell...and keeping it on topic. I think it speaks volumes that the guys with the lowest prices have the most satisfied customers, and the guys with the highest prices and the "quality" devices are down the list......hmmm. maybe you don't get what you pay for afterall. :)

Dave

There's no mystery for me in this - HP should have produced the best, most reliable, best supported devices. Instead, the opposite is true. My 5555 has been sent back to the factory for repairs twice in eighteen months. That, combined with HP's failure to release a WM2003 SE upgrade pretty much took them off my "preferred" list. The only thing that keeps HP higher on my list than Toshiba (which is at the bottom of my list) is that at least HP doesn't deliberately mislead its customers regarding warranty repairs.

- Tim

Paragon
05-15-2005, 04:22 AM
Or maybe I'm just reading too far into this...

I think you are.....I'm just kidding.

I think there is a lot to be said for that line of thought. Although we do here the line "You get what you pay for " often enough, but it doesn't seem to be used with Dell very often.

With the Axims, thay have produced excellent devices at very good prices, and have supported them well. I have over the years had to have units replaced for minor problems. The replacement has always been at my door by the next morning. I won't even go into the horrors of trying to do that with iMates. Dell have done a pretty decent job on offering upgrades. That's not a big factor for me, but it is huge for some folks. They have put together a good overall package and people are recognizing it, I think.

Dave

Darius Wey
05-15-2005, 05:59 AM
Although we do here the line "You get what you pay for " often enough, but it doesn't seem to be used with Dell very often.

That's because some would argue that "you get more than what you pay for" with Dell. There's no denying the fact that their most recent generation of devices (more so, the X50 line) deliver a performance punch at a very acceptable price (compared with other manufacturers). They consistently offer discounts, throw-ins and what not with new purchases, which is enough to make any new buyer happy. Their level of support and committment to upgrades is great too. Edit: Wait a minute, Dave, that's everything you've said too. We must be thinking on the same plane here. ;)

Anyway, in my experiences with HP, that has hardly been the case. Blown-out prices, somewhat questionable support (after one of my iPAQs in the past decided that the ROM had had its day and HP decided that it wasn't their problem), and well... I won't go into their upgrade policy. Everyone knows about that already. :roll:

So going back to the original question, "So y'all really like your devices don't you?" - The answer is 'yes' (even though I don't own an Axim). :mrgreen:

ctmagnus
05-15-2005, 06:30 AM
I absolutely love my iPaq 5550. It's the fourth or fifth warranty replacement but this particular unit is by far the best Pocket PC I've ever laid eyes on, better even than any of the previous 5550s I've had in my possession, except possibly the hx2750.

jimski
05-15-2005, 07:11 AM
I have had four iPAQ's over the past four years and have yet to have any problems. I did call Compaq Customer Support once, but as soon as they got into the "you need to do a hard reset" part of the call, I thanked them, hung up and worked it out myself (with the help of this forum of course).

I carry my devices everywhere and probably use it 2-3 hours per day. I was going to respond to the Handango survey but I was having too much fun playing with my iPAQ.

Paragon
05-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Edit: Wait a minute, Dave, that's everything you've said too. We must be thinking on the same plane here. ;)

Idiots seldom differ.....Hey wait! That's not how that's suppposed to go, is it? ;)

I'm twice as happy at the moment. I have a JAM, and an Axim x50v. There have been times I've been 4 or 5 times as happy, but I'm a bit more "happy" conscious these days. ;)

In all honesty if the platform quit evolving right now I would be satisfied with what I have, which includes WiFi Activsync....I just had to throw that little dig in there. :-)

Dave

surur
05-15-2005, 08:57 AM
As others have said, Great value for money make people very happy. Just to add though that even expensive units can be great value for money, such as my Loox 720, which has just been getter better every month. We've discovered it has audio out from the cradle, and I now use it to play music via the stereo in my car. The VOIP speaker is now easily enabled, and we've recently discovered it has Audio in via the headphone socket. In addition its slated to get the WM upgrade, and there is strong rumors that it might be free. It would be the only WM 5.0 device with 128Mb ram.

So I'm pretty happy with my unit. Not only was it good when I bought it, but it just keeps on getting better.

Surur

Stik
05-15-2005, 01:10 PM

So I'm going to blame the following numbers on you!! :lol:

" HP – Also feeling the effects of the declining market, HP's handheld device shipments dropped 14% year over year. "

" Dell – Building off strong demand for its high-end devices in both the Axim X50 and X30 product lines, Dell grew its handheld device shipments 37.4% year over year. Dell remains squarely focused on the handheld device market "

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=pr2005_05_10_143257

Unlike Dell, has HP lost its handheld focus??

Jon Westfall
05-15-2005, 01:40 PM
So I'm pretty happy with my unit. Not only was it good when I bought it, but it just keeps on getting better.

Surur

The best kind of "toy", the kind that just keeps evolving into a more fun form.

Maybe that's why people have children... j/k ;)

Glad you're happy with the Loox Surur.

lorettaboy
05-15-2005, 03:59 PM
As others have said, Great value for money make people very happy. Just to add though that even expensive units can be great value for money, such as my Loox 720, which has just been getter better every month. We've discovered it has audio out from the cradle, and I now use it to play music via the stereo in my car. The VOIP speaker is now easily enabled, and we've recently discovered it has Audio in via the headphone socket. In addition its slated to get the WM upgrade, and there is strong rumors that it might be free. It would be the only WM 5.0 device with 128Mb ram.

Surur

I have heard some good things about the Loox 720. Best VGA PPC I think.
Don't forget that the hx2750 will also have 128MB ram and WM 5.0, not to mention 128MB rom.

timcolling
05-15-2005, 05:16 PM
...I have heard some good things about the Loox 720. Best VGA PPC I think. Don't forget that the hx2750 will also have 128MB ram and WM 5.0, not to mention 128MB rom.

I have seen the hx2750 at our local Frys and it is a nice pda. If it had a VGA screen, I might be tempted (although, I'm really not a big HP fan now).

- Tim

Sven Johannsen
05-15-2005, 05:32 PM
my Loox 720..... would be the only WM 5.0 device with 128Mb ram.

Besides my Dell X50v with the PPCtechs upgrade ;) But yea, I paid extra for that. All together I think it came out about the price of a Loox.

I wonder if we'll see new machines built for WM2005 come out with more RAM (than 64M). Obviously the ROM is going to have to be upped, since that's where your PIM, Registry, installed programs, etc is going to go.

My only disappointment with the PPC platform is that it does way more than I need it to do, and the OEMs/MS are thinking of ways to make it do more. I'd rather them think of ways of making it do what it does, better. More fidelity between desktop and PPC applications/docs, connection management that is seamless and user friendly, more standardization(Why can't I just get a USB to mini USB cable for all my WM devices?, Why does my Dell have a headset profile and my iPAQ doesn't), synchronization that is reliable and flexible. I'd like to quit reading, "Well, that doesn't seem to be fixed in WM2003, WM2003SE, WM2005."

dma1965
05-15-2005, 05:44 PM
I'd rather them think of ways of making it do what it does, better. More fidelity between desktop and PPC applications/docs, connection management that is seamless and user friendly, more standardization(Why can't I just get a USB to mini USB cable for all my WM devices?, Why does my Dell have a headset profile and my iPAQ doesn't), synchronization that is reliable and flexible. I'd like to quit reading, "Well, that doesn't seem to be fixed in WM2003, WM2003SE, WM2005."

I totally agree with you. HTC makes the iMate Jam and the Siemens SX66 and countless other PPC devices, and only the Jam has a USB to Mini USB connector on it. Yet, you can buy almost any digital camera and get this as a standard. Lame...just lame!

Paragon
05-15-2005, 06:41 PM
I'd rather them think of ways of making it do what it does, better.

Absolutely Sven! I've been saying this samething for quite awhile now. There are many improvements need to existing functions that have been ignored for so long that they now have to take them out because of they ignored them for too long......WiFi syncing
I think I said this earlier, I would be happy with what we have if the platform stopped evolving right now......just fix the broken bits. ;)

Dave

timcolling
05-15-2005, 07:13 PM
I'd rather them think of ways of making it do what it does, better.

Absolutely Sven! I've been saying this samething for quite awhile now. There are many improvements need to existing functions that have been ignored for so long that they now have to take them out because of they ignored them for too long......WiFi syncing
I think I said this earlier, I would be happy with what we have if the platform stopped evolving right now......just fix the broken bits. ;)

Dave

The reason they don't do what you're asking is that it won't help them sell more units. Think about it - compare this slogan:

- Now, with new Green Crystals! [Green Crystals = whatever new features you can think of]

to this one:

- Now, with some more things actually working!

Having worked in the sofware industry for a long time (before leaving a few years ago), I assure you that product management, especially at Microsoft and others with the lion's share of the market, could care less about fixing things that don't work correctly, unless it will mean garnering new sales in the future... and, fixing broken things usually does not garner new future sales, sadly.

- Tim

christak
05-15-2005, 07:54 PM

So I'm going to blame the following numbers on you!! :lol:

" HP – Also feeling the effects of the declining market, HP's handheld device shipments dropped 14% year over year. "

" Dell – Building off strong demand for its high-end devices in both the Axim X50 and X30 product lines, Dell grew its handheld device shipments 37.4% year over year. Dell remains squarely focused on the handheld device market "

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=pr2005_05_10_143257

Unlike Dell, has HP lost its handheld focus??

Go ahead and blame away... That's how I feel...

8) :lol:

Stik
05-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Go ahead and blame away... That's how I feel...

8) :lol:

According to those IDC numbers, your not alone. :wink:

livingalways4him
05-16-2005, 12:33 AM
Glad to hear you liked your iPAQ though, what made you decide to get a Tungsten?

I decided to switch back because I missed the Palm OS interface. I have always liked it better. Really the only thing keeping me from getting another iPAQ is the cost. Compared to the Tungsten E2, at least. ;)

And I still read this site so I can decide if I want another PalmOS device or switch back to the dark side :)

Jon Westfall
05-16-2005, 01:27 AM

I decided to switch back because I missed the Palm OS interface. I have always liked it better. Really the only thing keeping me from getting another iPAQ is the cost. Compared to the Tungsten E2, at least. ;)

And I still read this site so I can decide if I want another PalmOS device or switch back to the dark side :)

Cool!

And to agree with the above sentiments, we really need to get the OEMs And MS to not only come up with new ideas (Which are nice) but to perfect the existing ones. But I'm sure as soon as they perfect one core feature, they'll introduce another feature that we'll want to be perfect ASAP!

shawnc
05-16-2005, 01:52 AM
I'll echo a couple previously expressed sentiments. I made the mistake of going from a Dell to my current 4155. HP service and support does not compare to Dell, as such, my overall satisfaction is much lower with this device than my prior one. That may also be influenced by the fact that I paid a premium for my current device (though part of that premium was definitely for the form-factor).

I think I'm just generally fed up with one-cycle devices. I don't see why devices can't be upgraded a few times as long as consumers are willing to pay for the software. I've heard the arguments as to why, I just don't buy them. But at a minimum, EVERY device owner should expect at least ONE opportunity to upgrade. For my $500, HP never gave me that opportunity. But it's not just HP, all device owners are constantly in a guessing game as to whether their device will get one.

I'm just tired of the game.

timcolling
05-16-2005, 02:41 AM
I'll echo a couple previously expressed sentiments...
I think I'm just generally fed up with one-cycle devices. I don't see why devices can't be upgraded a few times as long as consumers are willing to pay for the software. I've heard the arguments as to why, I just don't buy them. But at a minimum, EVERY device owner should expect at least ONE opportunity to upgrade. For my $500, HP never gave me that opportunity. But it's not just HP, all device owners are constantly in a guessing game as to whether their device will get one.

I'm just tired of the game.

Well said! I agree completely.

- Tim

livingalways4him
05-23-2005, 01:20 AM
As for me switching back to PPC, for now it's a no-go. I have to have a LifeDrive! :-)