View Full Version : Rx3115

bWs
05-13-2005, 12:41 AM
Hey guys,
I'm sorry if this has been asked/posted before but I searched and could not find it anywhere.

Will the HP rx3115 support the new OS WM '05? Upgrade possibly?

I see that HP is offering upgrade for the other 3000 series but I could not find it specific for the rx3115 :S :roll:

Thanks
bWs

Darius Wey
05-13-2005, 01:50 AM
Hey guys,
I'm sorry if this has been asked/posted before but I searched and could not find it anywhere.

You may want to read this thread: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39971

Will the HP rx3115 support the new OS WM '05? Upgrade possibly? I see that HP is offering upgrade for the other 3000 series but I could not find it specific for the rx3115 :S :roll:

Highly unlikely. If you read the PR, you'll see that none of the rx3000's have been offered an upgrade, and it's rare for HP to announce a change of plan at a later stage. Personally, I think it's ridiculous that the high-end rx3715 has missed out, but hey, "things" happen. :roll:

Patrick Y.
05-14-2005, 01:50 AM
You can't really blame HP either. hx3000 series has very little flash ROM, which make it impossible to upgrade since WM 5 ONLY use ROM for storage. :|

applejosh
05-14-2005, 04:17 PM
The lower end rx3000 series devices might have little ROM, but the rx3715 has 128MB ROM. Still bummed about that not getting an upgrade option (as are many others I believe).

Patrick Y.
05-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Still bummed about that not getting an upgrade option (as are many others I believe).

I agree. HP really has a bad upgrade service.

applejosh
05-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Well, I'm sure they do things for some reason (at least I hope so), but my next PPC probably won't be an HP. Not necessarily because of the selective upgrade scheme, but because if I want to be somewhere near cutting edge most of the time and have to buy a new device to do it, then I might as well get a cheaper device (eg. Dell) if I'm going to play disposable PDA.

Patrick Y.
05-14-2005, 10:06 PM
iPAQ are quite expensive. You can buy other similar devices for at least $100 cheaper. :roll: For example, my Acer n10, which I bought around $199, offers far better performance and features than rz1710. n10 also has faster CPU and an additional CF card slot. I wonder why HP hasn't discontinued the worthless rx1710.

Darius Wey
05-15-2005, 04:31 AM
Not necessarily because of the selective upgrade scheme, but because if I want to be somewhere near cutting edge most of the time and have to buy a new device to do it, then I might as well get a cheaper device (eg. Dell) if I'm going to play disposable PDA.

Interesting point. But given Dell's low prices, the X50v manages to pack a punch in the process. I think that's enough to entice many people moving on from HP.

applejosh
05-15-2005, 02:47 PM
I wasn't insinuating that Dells were "cheap" in the bad sense of the word, just less expensive than their HP counterparts. And given the highly fluid nature of the PPC arena, I think it would be wise for me to switch. Maybe even before WM5 makes its debut in a new device...

Darius Wey
05-15-2005, 03:00 PM
I wasn't insinuating that Dells were "cheap" in the bad sense of the word, just less expensive than their HP counterparts.

Doh! Semantics...

And given the highly fluid nature of the PPC arena, I think it would be wise for me to switch. Maybe even before WM5 makes its debut in a new device...

I think it's a good choice too.

applejosh
05-15-2005, 03:50 PM
I'll have to wait to see how much my possible impending knee surgery will set me back before I jump ship, though. I might try selling some of my old PDA's to offset the cost, but since I'm not an ebay-er, I'll have to see. (I'll probably sell off the rx3715 (after I get the Dell) and probably my T5 and maybe even my NX's.)