View Full Version : Planned mobile data compression service - feedback requested please

Tim H
05-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Hi there,

We are developing a data compression and optimisation service for Windows Mobile devices that will compress web traffic (http) and e-mail (pop/smtp). You will typically get 3-4 times compression, therefore use only 1/3 to 1/4 the amount of data - i.e. savings on mobile network/cellular data. Compression also applies to basic MS Office files (as web download or as e-mail attachment), and PDF files in the near future. For connections up to 500kbps you will also see significant performance increase, i.e. for GPRS/EDGE/3G/CDMA 1X and EV-DO. It would not matter which mobile network operator you use, or if you change, or how else you get on the internet, you will still be able to use the service.

There is a client to load on your Pocket PC. We have done extensive development to ensure that there is no impact on battery life of the mobile device even where the mobile data session remains open.

Unlike other offerings already on the market this solution is transparent and you continue to use whatever browser or e-mail client you want.

I'd appreciate any feedback as to whether this service interests you, other features/data you might want supported (RSS?), and whether you would be prepared to pay a monthly or quarterly charge (there will not be any ads or other commercial messages at all)?

Thanks,
Tim

surur
05-13-2005, 12:36 AM
Personally I would have a number of concerns

1) privacy, with all my traffic going through your servers.
2) Video and music don't compress well
3) I don't like subscriptions such as this. I would prefer a desktop server to do the compression on my home PC for maybe $15-30 once off fee.

Thats just me personally, but I suspect many people here would share my feelings.

Surur

Tim H
05-13-2005, 12:54 AM
Thanks for your comments, replies below.

1) privacy, with all my traffic going through your servers.
2) Video and music don't compress well
3) I don't like subscriptions such as this. I would prefer a desktop server to do the compression on my home PC for maybe $15-30 once off fee.

Surur

1) Yes you would have to trust our servers as you already do your ISP and any internet SMTP and web servers that already relay your information without encryption, but I take your point.

2) These would bypass our service and go diretly to the internet - we compress http/html, pop/smtp and in near future RSS which is based on these anyway. But images within web pages are reduced in quality and then if you want the original you reload it. But if most of your wireless traffic is music and video then you won't see much saving.

3) If you can set this up for yourself that's great - I guess our target market is consumers/small business users who want the power of Windows Mobile but are not themselves power users.

Thanks,
Tim