View Full Version : Microsoft Device Emulator 1.0 Community Preview

Peter Foot
05-12-2005, 06:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/downloads/emulatorpreview/default.aspx' target='_blank'>http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/...ew/default.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The Microsoft Device Emulator 1.0 Community Preview is a standalone version of the same ARM based Device Emulator that ships as part of Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2. The standalone emulator is intended for situations when you want to demonstrate or test your application on a computer that does not have Visual Studio 2005 installed. The emulator ships with support for Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition."</i><br /><br />This has been released at the same time as the Windows Mobile 5.0 SDKs but hasn't received the same coverage. This is a really neat tool if you want to demonstrate your applications on a PC which doesn't have any development tools. The software emulates an ARM CPU so you can run regular off-the-shelf device software on it (previously emulators shipped with the development tools required a specific X86 build). While this includes Pocket PC 2003 SE images you can use it in combination with the Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK to install the latest device images. To download the Emulator follow the instructions on <a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/downloads/emulatorpreview/default.aspx">the product page</a>.

KTamas
05-12-2005, 06:18 AM
I can sign in at betaplace, enter the guestid, then i get the beta page which says: "Sorry, you are not enrolled in any programs that are utilizing Microsoft Beta."
:roll:

WillyG
05-12-2005, 07:41 AM
...you are not enrolled in any programs that are utilizing Microsoft Beta."
:roll:

Yep, confirmed, same here.
OTOH A standalone emulator is a great idea. If there is one single thing i miss from my rather short Palm "stay", its Copilot (Palm's emulator).
Its, excelent for testing out ideas, and programs. That way i didnt have to worry about leftowers, if i decided the program was not what i was looking for.

dangerwit
05-12-2005, 10:10 AM
I'll be the third to concur that I can't get in. I would love to have this app for demoing my programming at the office!

bluevolume
05-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Someone needs to figure this out. I'm having trouble installing VS 2005 from MSDN, and all I really want to do is run the emulator.

HELP!!!

stevelam
05-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Me to, and im on their Beta Experiance program???

picard
05-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Nice! It really works (Not the standalone ARM emulator. I couldn't download it either :( . But the ARM emulator itself in VS2005 Beta2)

Although I will need to correct/adjust few things in BetaPlayer :) (I installed the normal ARM cabs)

I setup VS2005 Beta2 and WM2005 SDK as it's described here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/howto/windowsmobile5/install/default.aspx

ipaqmaniac
05-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Try it again. It works now. At least it did for me!

C Brandt
05-13-2005, 01:52 AM
There is mention in the original topic that the 5.0 SDK has additional images... I've tried installing the SDK to get access to those images, but it complains that it needs other software installed for the SDK to install... Is there any way to break open the MSI for the SDK to get at just the images?

Chris

JGUI
05-13-2005, 08:31 AM
I just displayed some images on this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?p=115094#115094

... still wonder

NeilE
05-13-2005, 10:51 PM
I've tried installing the SDK to get access to those images, but it complains that it needs other software installed for the SDK to install...

Chris, that warning dialog was likely about ActiveSync not being installed on your machine. Just ignore it (say ok or whatever), then whack next on the first page of the install dialog again. You'll be able to go through the wizard and everything will work fine.

Neil

Darius Wey
05-14-2005, 03:42 AM
Chris, that warning dialog was likely about ActiveSync not being installed on your machine. Just ignore it (say ok or whatever), then whack next on the first page of the install dialog again. You'll be able to go through the wizard and everything will work fine.

Neil, I think the error has to do with VS not being installed? I tried installing the SDK on a machine without VS and I get the following (which I think is what Chris was referring to and I believe he was after a workaround).

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/13148/WM5SDK.gif

ill-tempered
05-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Neil, I think the error has to do with VS not being installed? I tried installing the SDK on a machine without VS and I get the following (which I think is what Chris was referring to and I believe he was after a workaround).

same error i'm getting...

Darius Wey
05-17-2005, 12:26 PM
same error i'm getting...

Yup, the prerequisite is definitely the presence of VS2005 on the system. Cross your fingers and hope for a non-VS2005 dependent release. :)

badbob001
06-02-2005, 06:04 PM
You can extract the contents of the WM2005 emulator images by running:
msiexec /a &lt;name of msi file>

It will prompt you for where to extract the files to.

There should be a subfolder called 0409 with a bunch of .bin files. These are the emulator images.

Then from the command prompt, go to the Device Emulator Preview directory, type

deviceemulator &lt;path_to_extracted_stuf\bin file>

eg:

deviceemulator ".\msi_extract\Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK\Deviceemulation\0409\ppc_usa.bin"

It'll be a black screen for a minute or two.

There are other files in the sdk regarding skins. Check out the deviceemulator commandline parameters for other settings you can use.

badbob001
06-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Any idea how to set the flash size? It keeps complaining that there is no storage memory left. Maybe this preview release doesn't support it.

Peter Foot
06-03-2005, 10:49 AM
I don't have the standalone version installed, in VS2005, you can go to Options > Device Tools > Devices > [devicename] > Properties > Emulator Options
Here you can override the default options for ram and rom. Accessing this dialog through the emulator itself will show these options disabled.

Peter

Darius Wey
06-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Any idea how to set the flash size? It keeps complaining that there is no storage memory left. Maybe this preview release doesn't support it.

IIRC, there's no option in the standalone version (or at least I haven't found it yet). You'll need the VS-dependent emulator to specify RAM size as Peter has outlined in his post.

badbob001
06-03-2005, 03:13 PM
I use the commandline parameter "/memsize 128" and it gives me some flash storage space, which is confusing since that parameter description is:

/memsize size - Sets emulated RAM size, where size is in megabytes.

Now, I don't get the 128MB I ask for. Both the pocketpc and smartphone images seems to have a fixed ram size and using the -memsize parameter gives me a little more memory that's assigned for storage. So my total memory (ram + flash), on pocketpc is around 70MB and on smartphone is around 40MB. Maybe the VS2005 version has more exact control of ram vs rom/flash?

That's fine with me since the /sharedfolder option allows me to have a 4GB virtual storage card mapped to a folder on my harddrive. :) And it allows for the installation of .cab files without needing to setup activesync.