View Full Version : Screen Cleaning...

MulesRockorz
05-12-2005, 05:37 AM
what do I use... Is using 95% isopropyl alcohol okay on a TFT touch screen?

if so what about other Nonpolar chemicals... (Acetone [I wouldnt dare try this one, I've watched this stuff dissolve plastic like suger dissolves in boiling water] Methanol, and other alcohol / solvents??

(Ive used Denatured alcohol in cleaning the dust off of circut boards and it works fine [with them turned off and dissconnected of course.]

manywhere
05-12-2005, 07:46 AM
I would use 99% isopropanol, not only 95%. ;) Nah, most likely that other 5% is water, unless the package reads something else. I myself use a car window cleaner (I think is 99% isopropanol, not sure though) that foams up nicely when you spray it. Perfect for removing those greasy fatty stains of the touch screen.

After applying isopropanol on the screen, you should clean it with a soft cloth or paper (not toilet paper, though) to avoid scratching the screen.

As for the other alternatives, acetone, ethanol and all the other solvents are usually a very bad idea. They can dissolve any protective coating on the thin film and may even penetrate the films (in worst case) and thus destroying the sensitive electronics inside. Isopropanol is the safest solvent for cleaning anything (yes, plastic also) and has as a small bonus, antistatic and disinfective properties as well.

Good luck! ;)

G M Fude
05-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Speaking as an industrial chemist, alcohols won't harm your screen. The most common are methylated spirit (ethanol and a small amount of denaturant, usually Bitrex) or isopropyl alcohol, which is often packaged for exhorbitant prices as head cleaner for VCRs and cassette players (remember them?).

Do not use any non-polar solvents, that'll mostly be hydrocarbons (petroleum-type solvents) and chlorinated hydrocarbons like drycleaning fluids.

The safest of the polar solvents is the alcohols. You're right, acetone is very definitely avoided.

Use alcohol sparingly though -- you don't want excess from a saturated tissue running under your screen.