View Full Version : Considering an x50v

bwyatt
05-10-2005, 02:24 AM
I had a Toshiba e355 a while back, but I didn't use it because the PPC2002 software was incredibly clumsy (I wish I'd known about Spb Pocket Plus--that would have fixed most of my complaints) and the screen was of very poor quality, IMO.

I'm now considering an x50v because I have a serious need for some sort of mobile computing device, but a laptop would be overdoing it. I'll be using the x50v for:
- Scheduling/appointments
- Contact management
- Occasional web browsing (although not often) - I will NOT consider anything without WiFi
- Reading documents (such as word files and excel spreadsheets)
- Watching videos (I'm very interested in encoding DVDs to be played on the device)
- Viewing and sharing photos
- Mobile games (I loved the PPC Scrabble and Monopoly games, and I want to try out Age of Empires--my old model wouldn't even play it)

My only question is this: am I getting the right device? I'm psyched about the high-quality VGA screen and large memory capacity of the x50v, but I'm afraid I might be overspending. Is there another device I should be considering? (I'm more than willing to spend the $425, but I don't want to spend that much if I can get by on less)

[edit]
I just thought of one more question--what does Dell charge for shipping?

Menneisyys
05-10-2005, 10:43 AM
You may want to read http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39891 .

Ward
05-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Now that Dell has confirmed that they will release the ROM update for the new Windows Mobile 5.0, the X50v is well worth buying.

redeye_ksc
05-13-2005, 04:14 AM
You won't get anything anywhere near this good for as low a price i'd definately do it if'n i were you

:rock on dude!:

Sven Johannsen
05-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Now that Dell has confirmed that they will release the ROM update for the new Windows Mobile 5.0, the X50v is well worth buying.

Some of us think it was well worth buying before that.

Jon Westfall
05-13-2005, 03:22 PM
I recently picked one up, and really like it. It's kinda strange to use one PPC (my 6315) to give another PPC (The dell) internet access, but it works pretty flawlessly for the GPRS connection. Anyway, while bumming around Ebay playing The Accessory Game, I saw a few new axims for the buy it now price of around $350 - $375, so if you trust ebay (Which I have and haven't been burned on PPC purchases) then that might give you a price break.

Jon.