View Full Version : I want Timely PPC News! Grrr... too much to ask? Magneto introduced next week according to CNET

g-funkster
05-06-2005, 05:50 PM
"The software maker is expected next week to introduce Windows Mobile 5, the next version of its operating system for cell phones and handhelds. The OS, code-named Magneto, is the latest in a string of software releases that highlight Microsoft's attempts to take on rivals including PalmSource and Nokia."

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+aims+to+be+cell+phone+Survivor/2100-1041_3-5697127.html?tag=nefd.top

David McNamee
05-06-2005, 06:27 PM
From the article:At the same time, Microsoft is trying to compete with RIM both through devices running Windows Mobile and by licensing server technology to devices that run rival operating systems. Microsoft has licensed its ActiveSync technology to erstwhile OS rivals PalmOne and Symbian.
Now that's one way to cripple the competition!! :rotfl:

I shouldn't say that... ActiveSync has been very stable for a while now. It just needs to do more.

Wiggster
05-06-2005, 06:47 PM
I can't wait 'til next week. My birthday, possibly an update for the 4700, and possibly WM2k5.

Jon Westfall
05-06-2005, 10:18 PM
"The software maker is expected next week to introduce Windows Mobile 5, the next version of its operating system for cell phones and handhelds. The OS, code-named Magneto, is the latest in a string of software releases that highlight Microsoft's attempts to take on rivals including PalmSource and Nokia."

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+aims+to+be+cell+phone+Survivor/2100-1041_3-5697127.html?tag=nefd.top

As has been stated in the past, the editoral team is somewhat restricted by the Microsoft NDA. If memebers post this stuff, that's fine, but from your subject, it appears you believe we're ignorant of this news. Fortunatly we're not ignorant of it, unfortunatly sometimes there isn't much the editoral staff can do (Especially the editoral staff that are MVPs).

Jon.

g-funkster
05-07-2005, 03:15 PM
As has been stated in the past, the editoral team is somewhat restricted by the Microsoft NDA. If memebers post this stuff, that's fine, but from your subject, it appears you believe we're ignorant of this news. Fortunatly we're not ignorant of it, unfortunatly sometimes there isn't much the editoral staff can do (Especially the editoral staff that are MVPs).

Jon.

Mr. Dunn is surely aware of my sentiment towards this, as I sent him a link of the article with quite the angry letter attached. Needless to say, when it ended up on the front page it was Not him posting it.

Perhaps I'm spoiled by the Inquirer, those guys get news about IT far in advance and Never sign an NDA (policy of being an editor there). You know what? I'm not spoiled. The text underneath the logo says "Daily News". It is a reasonable expectation that I come to this site looking for exactly this kind of information. I got so angry that the CNET site had a link to a review of Magneto that, for some reason, I hadn't heard about! Wait, we do know the reason.

That should be quite upsetting to most of the crowd that gathers on this site. Or maybe most people around here really Are waiting for a review of Resco's newest development component (lol, the Outlook icon view for pocket pc...snore)

I say we start a campaign to change the logo text to "Daily Whoring, Belated Views, Rants and Raves" ... I don't know, perhaps others can come with better suggestions?

dochall
05-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Oh grow up you muppet.
Jason et al have been very open about what they will and won't publish.

if don't like go and look somwhere else. but don't continue to whinge on here

Dalantech
05-07-2005, 05:05 PM
I think that this is one of the best PocketPC sites on the web -hence this post in my news (http://www.dalantech.com/ubbthreads/index.php) ...