View Full Version : HP 6315 - I finally gave up

dolphs
05-06-2005, 06:34 AM
Well, after several months of struggling, and no noticable improvement after the last ROM upgrade, I have given up on using the HP6315 as a mobile phone. After numerous call transfers and haggling with T-Mobile, we struck a deal allowing me to keep the IPAQ (I still need the non-phone functions) and buy a seperate mobile phone at a discounted rate. They still have the Blackberry trade offer going but I don't want one as I am not an email power user.

Basically, the thing does not work as a phone. Sound and Voice quality problems, lock-up problems, lack of Blue Tooth functionality (still prevalent after the ROM update), marginal battery life, low ring volume, no voice dialing (without add-on softsare that doesn't half work),and marginal signal reception all conspire to make it a dread to use. It is such a shame because if it worked properly it would be a real powerhouse.

Fortunatly, despite the sluggish processor speed, I can get by with the basic MS Outlook sync functions and other standard IPAQ apps. I do use the WiFi more than I thought I would both at T-Mobole Hot Spots and at home.

I have nothing but contempt for HP who reamain utterly useless in supporting their product and my poor experience with the 6315 will certainly influence my brand decisions for other hardware devices.

On the other hand, T-Mobile is trying to make the best of a bad situation they really don't control (although they get a "thumbs down" for still selling the 6315). I doubt I would have received as much cooperation from Cingular/ATT.

If you are considering buying a Pocket PC Phone, I strongly suggest you wait for something better. I would also avoid anything from HP until it has been proven reliable in the marketplace.

Kowalski
05-06-2005, 09:55 AM
good choice. the most important thing about a pda is the stability. if you cant access the information within seconds because of stupid hangups and soft resets what is the point of carying a pda

Mitch D
05-06-2005, 05:06 PM
I think the rule that should apply to this device from HP is the same I recommend for anything new (cars, tv's, etc). Never buy the first model/year of anything that comes out on the market. These items usually have flaws that sometimes take two or three tries to work out.

HP has made some poor choices in the past and releasing the 63xx series was one of them. But as with everything in life we tend to learn from our mistakes. With any luck the 65xx series will be better.

q-live
05-10-2005, 07:48 PM
i have a better idea..... NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM HP..... EVERYTHING THEY MAKE IS GARBAGE FROM MY AND OTHER FRIENDS EXPERIENCES!!!!!!

Wiggster
05-10-2005, 07:49 PM
i have a better idea..... NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM HP..... EVERYTHING THEY MAKE IS GARBAGE FROM MY AND OTHER FRIENDS EXPERIENCES!!!!!!

Some of us have still had positive experiences with HP :wink:

ttremeth
05-11-2005, 04:34 AM

Bull! As a phone it is clunky as a pda it is underpowered. It is disappointing but I have owned and ip1940 and 3715 and these were outstanding. For personal use it is ok as long as u use a bluetooth headset for hands free (crappy speaker phone).

However for the money you would be better off with something else. But don't knock all HP stuff over this lame duck.

CrashX
05-12-2005, 01:36 AM
Some of us have still had positive experiences with HP :wink:
And some of us have still had positive experiences with the h6315. :wink:

ale_ers
05-31-2005, 04:11 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your bad experiences. I for one have not had all the problems that other users speak of, and with the new ROM, this model has preformed great for me. I highly recommend MS Voice Command also, as it adds great functionality and makes dialing the device better than any phone I have ever owned...it works every time with no training.

Could the device be better? Yes, especially the Bluetooth headset, but that seems to be a problem with all Windows Mobile Phone Editions. Hopefully that will be corrected with the new generation devices. I have been very happy with this device, but I think I will upgrade when a new WM5 phone comes out...HTC Universal maybe?

Lukas44
06-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Problem with HP, is that with all their experience they have really no excuse. They should be the best. It looks bad on thier part. Why sell a product that doesn't truly deliver?

A_C
06-22-2005, 09:42 PM
The 63XX series is a joke, fine they have good battery life, but than what is the point of a PDA/Phone if it wont happily run your applications at a decent speed...I was offered a Hp 6340 for a decent price...I put a video on it, it was a slide show, a work colleage would not believe it was a video, he honestly thought i was viewing a picture, Tomtom 5 isnt very happy on it either, sluggish...

If anyone is considering buying a 63xx i advise you just to stick to a regular mobile phone, as the 63xx series is too slow...

MitchellO
06-23-2005, 05:04 AM

Bull! As a phone it is clunky as a pda it is underpowered. It is disappointing but I have owned and ip1940 and 3715 and these were outstanding. For personal use it is ok as long as u use a bluetooth headset for hands free (crappy speaker phone).

However for the money you would be better off with something else. But don't knock all HP stuff over this lame duck.

Exactly. I had an iPAQ 1930, 2210, and 4350 and they were all great devices.

Yes, especially the Bluetooth headset, but that seems to be a problem with all Windows Mobile Phone Editions. Hopefully that will be corrected with the new generation devices.

Not true. My XDA II Mini works great with a bluetooth headset (Sony HBH-65). Maybe you have a dud headset, as my BT headset works great on my Phone Edition device.[/b]